Author Topic: sashimi  (Read 22663 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: sashimi
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 01:12:59 pm »
    How do I get cod roe?  :)

I'd like to try raw crab.  I've eaten raw lobster and raw shrimp, very tasty, both! 8)

I've eaten several kinds of raw oysters.  I like the less salty ones.  Check around to see which ones you might like.  Raw mussels are disgusting.  Maybe I just had bad luck, but I couldn't eat them, they were gross.

Raw crab and raw cod roe can be got from local fishmongers. Avoid the supermarkets.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »
    Both times I got raw mussels, it was from the regular supermarket, and both times for different reasons, it didn't work out well as a meal (cut my hands bad, just plain pongy mussels my cats wouldn't even go near).  I wasn't able to get over to a monger or good butcher those two times.  I'm not sure there is a fish monger here, but there was where I got the mussels (out of state).  I don't recall having seen mussels at the monger, I have gotten great seafood from them.  Whole Foods Market carries mussels, do you think they might be good?  Their not previously frozen sustainably harvested fish has always been good.

As far as crab, the live ones I've seen are so small.  Would they be easy to eat with nutcracker and nutpick?  That's what stopped me from buying them; I wasn't sure how to eat them.

Raw crab and raw cod roe can be got from local fishmongers. Avoid the supermarkets.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »
I went to the fish port this 4am and got myself a 7 kilo fresh, never frozen yellow fin tuna ;D

Had that tuna sashimi for lunch.  Absolutely tasty.  Much better than blast frozen then defrosted ones I get in the wet market.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
    Both times I got raw mussels, it was from the regular supermarket, and both times for different reasons, it didn't work out well as a meal (cut my hands bad, just plain pongy mussels my cats wouldn't even go near).  I wasn't able to get over to a monger or good butcher those two times.  I'm not sure there is a fish monger here, but there was where I got the mussels (out of state).  I don't recall having seen mussels at the monger, I have gotten great seafood from them.  Whole Foods Market carries mussels, do you think they might be good?  Their not previously frozen sustainably harvested fish has always been good.

As far as crab, the live ones I've seen are so small.  Would they be easy to eat with nutcracker and nutpick?  That's what stopped me from buying them; I wasn't sure how to eat them.

I think I wrote down how to cut up crabs and lobsters in the culinary creations/recipes subforum. If not, I haven't time to write anything until next week as I#m abroad.

Mussels are an acquired taste, being very acrid. I use a walnut cracker to crack them open and use my teeth to get the flesh out. I then put the mussel-flesh into a glass and, after dealing with a 100 mussels, the glass is mostly full and I then sluice off the seawater in the mussels by pressing down on them with some implement, and upending the glass.

Avoid wholefoods except as absolute last resort - hideously expensive and of dubious quality, judging from my UK wholefoods experience.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »
A picture of our cook with a 7 kilo freshly caught, never frozen yellow fin tuna.

Now with freshly caught never frozen tangigue and dorado fish

All 3 are sashimi grade fish.

And my son wants this smiley for all of you  ;D
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
That article on mislabeling--kind of disturbing.  ??? I would be very interested in the idea of a hand-head device that does it  :P

goodsamaritan--I'm always jealous of where you live! A fish port and real fruit. :o That fish looks amazing.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 09:04:08 am »
goodsamaritan--I'm always jealous of where you live! A fish port and real fruit. :o That fish looks amazing.

You can choose to have a vacation in my big city in the Philippines and I can show you a hotel beside the big wet market.  You can buy your raw fruit, raw veg, raw animal food and eat in the eating area of the wet market.  Have a yummy raw paleo vacation here.

The eating area is an area meant for buyers to have their freshly bought produced cooked for a fee and they eat it there.  Me and my brother dispense with the cooking expense and just eat raw there at times.  Our idea of "eating out."

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 07:51:42 am »
I eat a lot of raw salmon because it is inexpensive and I love the taste. I usually warm it up to about 100 degrees. The bag says it is "Wild Caught". The wild salmon has less mercury and no coloring that the farmed raised salmon has. Grocery stores in the bigger cities around here have fresh meat and seafood cases where you can get sashimi grade fish. I read somewhere that sashimi grade fish is frozen for a period of time to kill off the bad critters.

I love dried fish. I dry it at 100 degrees and consider it raw. Catfish is great like this. I found that I had to remove the skin from salmon as it get too tough. I recently saw a picture of Eskimos drying fish to "get them through the winter".

FYI: The wasabi sauce the Japanese serve with sashimi is ground dried horseradish mixed with dried spinach powder and water. Sometimes they add a little ground yellow mustard seed.

Try some ceviche. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

Naturally, Don

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 04:52:03 am »
I was just about to eat some salmon which I bought yesterday from a butcher shop. They said they get all their fish fresh daily and it's sustainably fished through the "Sea Watch" program. I was going to give a piece to my dog, and he wouldn't touch it. This made me a little suspicious. When I googled raw salmon, one of the first links was to an article about tapeworm larvae in raw salmon, and it is best to only eat raw salmon that has been frozen first, like the sushi grade. I'm a little worried now, since I already ate a bite before finding that out, and the article mentioned that just a small bite could be enough if the fish had the larvae.

http://www.gourmet.com/foodpolitics/2008/08/raw-salmon-tapeworm

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 04:58:58 am »
I called the place to double check if the fish is ever frozen at any point, and it's not. I could be screwed.

Satya

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 05:31:59 am »
But did you see any worm larvae?  Do you still have the piece of fish?  Inspect it if so.  Look at it.  If you are concerned, you can take some parasite herbs - wormwood, cloves, black walnut hull, and papaya seeds are a few choices.

I usually buy big hunks of frozen tuna from the Asian market.  So often, fish is flash frozen on ship anyway, so it could well be argued that the freshest fish is that which hasn't been thawed yet at market.  Salmon goes up river, which I do believe is why it may contain parasites (but it's not that common). 

What I do with wild salmon I buy fresh from the market is this: I mix 2 tablespoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons raw organic honey (Apitherapy), 3 tablespoons vermouth wine, some dill weed and freshly ground pepper.  Lay a 1.5 lb fillet cut into four pieces in this mixture, skin side up and covered tightly with plastic for 2 days in the frig.  Then I freeze it at 0 degrees F for at least 7 days.  All parasites including trichinosis die after this time at this temp.  (I am sure the alcohol and salt doesn't hurt either.)  And the texture of this gravlax is phenomenal.  It must be the salt and honey, but you'd never know it was ever frozen.  It is less expensive and less salty than store bought gravlax.  And no smoke.

And I continue to be a parasite wimp.  But then, I got scabies (mange from a neighbor dog) last spring, and I ain't messin' with parasites no more, I tell you!  That was a skin crawling, major house-cleaning bad experience.  Perhaps some parasites are not so bad, but life is a struggle for all creatures, and I do not subscribe to the Aajonus symbiosis of all life philosophy.  Life requires death.

Here are specific recommendations concering parasites:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/haccp-2e.html

I should also not that many raf eaters have been eating fresh, never frozen animal foods without issue, so the choice is yours.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:39:56 am by Satya »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:58 am »
    Salmon is good, wildcaught, fresh.  Frozen is dangerous in my opinion.  I would never look for frozen fish, unless I was starving to death.  Parasites can grow on anything; I'd rather eat healthy food and get some parasites to try to live on that.

I was just about to eat some salmon which I bought yesterday from a butcher shop. They said they get all their fish fresh daily and it's sustainably fished through the "Sea Watch" program. I was going to give a piece to my dog, and he wouldn't touch it. This made me a little suspicious. When I googled raw salmon, one of the first links was to an article about tapeworm larvae in raw salmon, and it is best to only eat raw salmon that has been frozen first, like the sushi grade. I'm a little worried now, since I already ate a bite before finding that out, and the article mentioned that just a small bite could be enough if the fish had the larvae.

http://www.gourmet.com/foodpolitics/2008/08/raw-salmon-tapeworm
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Satya

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 06:18:33 am »
    Salmon is good, wildcaught, fresh.  Frozen is dangerous in my opinion.  I would never look for frozen fish, unless I was starving to death.  Parasites can grow on anything; I'd rather eat healthy food and get some parasites to try to live on that.

I take it you never eat sashimi at restaurants.  It's all been frozen, by law.  Most fish labelled as "fresh" has been sitting at market for up to a week or more.  If you can get it directly from port, then excellent. 

http://busygourmet.com/pages/public/fresh_vs_frozen.htm
It has been noted that these flash-frozen fish may, in fact, be in better shape than fish that sat out in a hold at sea for days before being sold as fresh. Some fishing boats are out at sea several days at a time and the fish are sitting on ice all this time. So, indeed some fish can be up to 3 days old before they are even brought to the seafood processing plant. There is even a term when the boat returns to dock, 'fresh on top'. 'Fresh on top' are fish from the last catch and therefore fresher than the fish at the bottom of the pile from the first catch. Interestingly, in a blind taste test of F.A.S. (Frozen At Sea) salmon hosted by Chefs Collaborative, F.A.S. Alaskan Coho ranked first on flavor, texture and aroma, beating out both fresh Oregon chinook, wild and hatchery.

Andrew would probably say, "Just say no to fish."

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 06:22:28 am »
I can't imagine anything "wrong" with eating frozen or less than fresh fish. Certainly it's not optimal, but what is? That is to say that I'm wondering what kind of negative effects anyone thinks you might get from eating frozen fish.

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 07:48:31 am »
I kept the fish and inspected it, cutting it into thin pieces, and didn't find anything like larvae. I read that the larvae look kind of like grains of rice, and another salmon parasite looks like little translucent coils. Didn't see anything like that, so it's probably fine, and I'm still gonna eat it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »
    These chefs are selling, cooking and probably tasting cooked fish.  I avoid restaurants whenever I can.  I don't mind if the food is old.

I take it you never eat sashimi at restaurants.  It's all been frozen, by law.  Most fish labelled as "fresh" has been sitting at market for up to a week or more.  If you can get it directly from port, then excellent. 

http://busygourmet.com/pages/public/fresh_vs_frozen.htm
It has been noted that these flash-frozen fish may, in fact, be in better shape than fish that sat out in a hold at sea for days before being sold as fresh. Some fishing boats are out at sea several days at a time and the fish are sitting on ice all this time. So, indeed some fish can be up to 3 days old before they are even brought to the seafood processing plant. There is even a term when the boat returns to dock, 'fresh on top'. 'Fresh on top' are fish from the last catch and therefore fresher than the fish at the bottom of the pile from the first catch. Interestingly, in a blind taste test of F.A.S. (Frozen At Sea) salmon hosted by Chefs Collaborative, F.A.S. Alaskan Coho ranked first on flavor, texture and aroma, beating out both fresh Oregon chinook, wild and hatchery.

Andrew would probably say, "Just say no to fish."

Salmon is pretty high fat, so I wouldn't worry about freezing as much as with a lower fat fish or meat.  Fat may stand up to ice cold temperatures better.  Once flesh has been frozen, it is not the same as it was.  Worse microorganisms tend to grow on it, and multiply faster.  I don't mind it not being very fresh.  I don't like frozen meat.  It seems damaged to me, I don't want to take enzyme supplements.   

I can't imagine anything "wrong" with eating frozen or less than fresh fish. Certainly it's not optimal, but what is? That is to say that I'm wondering what kind of negative effects anyone thinks you might get from eating frozen fish.

Satya

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 10:36:08 am »
    These chefs are selling, cooking and probably tasting cooked fish.  I avoid restaurants whenever I can.  I don't mind if the food is old.

Salmon is pretty high fat, so I wouldn't worry about freezing as much as with a lower fat fish or meat.  Fat may stand up to ice cold temperatures better.  Once flesh has been frozen, it is not the same as it was.  Worse microorganisms tend to grow on it, and multiply faster.  I don't mind it not being very fresh.  I don't like frozen meat.  It seems damaged to me, I don't want to take enzyme supplements.   

That's cool.  I don't eat out much either, but high quality sashimi is always a good thing for me.  I had some today (at a fantastic little place that is highly rated) on my way to a math lecture at a local university.  Nothing is as good, but with so many sushi places out there these days, it's really important to go to really good reputable places.  My martial arts training helps me in this regard.  ;)

Yes, salmon is fatty, although it depends on the breed as to the ratio.  One thing interesting about gravlax is that the proteins do not denature with the cure like ceviche does.  Not that stomach acid doesn't denature everything anyway ...

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 12:58:25 am »
    I prefer gravalax over ceviche as well.  Ceviche gets 'bleached' and slightly toughened, the fibers separated like cooked.  For example, I like raw chicken (??? torisashi) and feel good always with it, but chicken seviche is tough and dryish.  I don't feel so good after I eat that.

One thing interesting about gravlax is that the proteins do not denature with the cure like ceviche does.  Not that stomach acid doesn't denature everything anyway ...

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:08 am »
  What is gravlax?  I share your views on cerviche.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:13 pm »
I did some research on farm raised fish today. It appears that farm raised fish are fed soy and grain feeds. This makes their lipid (fat and oil) profile out of balance just like land animals (us included) who eat grains and soy. I have no problem getting wild salmon at a great price. However talapia and catfish were a couple of my favorite fish that are now off my list because they are almost always farm raised.

One article promoted catfish as having omega-3. Well yes, it does, but the omega-6 is way higher due to the grains.

I sometimes eat canned sardines and kipper snacks even though they are cooked, just to get the large dose of omega-3. If you do the same buy them packed in water or fish oil. Most of the others contain grain or bean oils.
Naturally, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk