Author Topic: Vital Farm Pasture eggs and Marys non gmo organic free range chickens  (Read 2029 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
I've been buying Vital Farm's pasture raised eggs(nongmo but not certified organic for some reason) and Marys non gmo organic free range chicken( not their pasture raised, i cant afford right now). Do you guys know anything about these companies? Do they take good care of their chickens? Are they safe to eat raw?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
call them up on the phone.   Here's a few things to consider if you do.   Chickens are meant to eat bugs, green shoots, small dead animals.    For green foods to exist, means there's water, as in either irrigated pastures,  pastures where it rains considerably, and the same for bugs.  Go into any dry brown field and try to find a bug.    So without lots of water, as in irrigation or frequent rains, and unless the chickens can roam big fields where cows or other animals graze and can scratch for fly larvae, those chickens are going to be more of a grain fed animal than any cow could be.  For cows at least spend the first nine months or longer on pasture and then if grain finished are switched to the same feed as chickens in feed lots. 

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Wow didnt realize that about the cows   -v ... could the beef at whole foods  labeled "100% grass fed " be grain finished? 

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
doubt it,  they make a point of labeling grass fed as grass fed only, and grain finished as grass fed finished on grain.    But again, most eggs come from chickens which primarily to a huge extent only eat grains.  I've always thought how odd it is that no one really cares much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk