Author Topic: Yet another reason for cooked-foodists to feel guilty!  (Read 3614 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Yet another reason for cooked-foodists to feel guilty!
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:54:19 am »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10455948

OK, I am not a real believer in global warming, but we really ought to support the notion as it clearly provides us with a solid reason to go rawpalaeo and fits in with mainstream views. We can then dismissively start calling pro-cooked-food-advocates "deniers", which is the word global warming campaigners use to refer to those of an anti-GW viewpoint.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another reason for cooked-foodists to feel guilty!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:10:46 am »

Yes, cooking food generates entropy, wastes a lot of energy and is a huge environmental nuisance which has in turn brought other nuisances in chain reaction.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:33:01 am »
I feel similarly about Global Warming. I could go either way on how accurate the correlation in temp change is with environmental destruction, but I do know that the air, water, and land is shit largely due to direct dumping of chemicals or indirect through energy expenditure, of which cooking and manufacturing of processed foods and factory farms contributes greatly.

I guess some of the polito-honchos could argue that some of the Kyoto type protocols and such are economically destructive per 'hoax', but other than that the incentive in conscious on the consumer level to conserve and reuse resources seems to make it an excellent white lie if the science link turns out to be false.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:11:50 am »
Since we went raw and dumped our clothes dryer for a rack our electric bill has plummeted.

Here in Ontario they have a clever way of calculating electric bills. There is an ante up charge called something like system access. This chunk of change is designed to keep the average electrical charge (intended pun) rate lower because in my conspiracy theory the people who make the calculations want to keep their bill lower. These people would tend to have larger energy hog houses due to making a better wage, so they are asking the little old lady living off a meagre pension in a one room apartment in a massive high rise to pay the large ante up system access fee before she gets to the per KW hourly charge.
Excellent conspiracy theory. But I believe it. So much for encouraging the masses to conserve.

The whole green thing is BS. Read the book "Green Metropolis". Manhattan is the greenest most energy efficient place on the planet.
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:37 am »
It is still horrible pollution..? The energy for Manhattan isn't even produced in Manhattan. The energy for the people, and for the machines is produced elsewhere. Even with that there's still loads of pollution there.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:55:27 am »

The whole green thing is BS. Read the book "Green Metropolis". Manhattan is the greenest most energy efficient place on the planet.

do you mean the conclusion is that. but you think that is bs? Just logistically..in terms of efficiency and the sheer density of people that can share various resources and cut down on travel costs of the average Westerner..it is superior to other dense cities. They have also done alot specifically because of environmental concerns to make it so. The air quality is not fantastic, but that goes hand in hand with the density and less and less to harmful industrial waste products present in small cities with more lax regulation.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:24:17 am »
KD,
Again my English got in the way. OOps.  ;D What I meant is what you said;

1. Manhattan because of the fact that people live in high rises, their house (apartment is heated and insulated by their neighbours unlike us with a separate house). They will tend to walk/bike and live close to work, as driving is a zoo, expensive and slow.

The urban sprawl cities are the problem.

2. The green revolution is Hocus Pocus in that everyone claims to be selling green stuff. Hmmm why not just have less stuff.

I agree that carbon emissions should be reduced, so I drive 90 km/hr instead of 120+km/hr (or 140 like I used to)  ;D This makes a big difference in my mileage and also makes for a huge reduction in my adrenaline production. ;)

I am interested in my own wallet. Driving slower saves gas. My goal is to build a strawbale house not to save the environment but because they are very efficient and super quiet.
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:49:05 am »
heh, well of course everyone will turn it on as a marketing angle..and have varying degrees of actual concern placed towards the issues, but if some PR company can convince for example a potato chip company to produce its bags in decomposable materials to increase its eventual profit margin..I think thats a solid indicator that consumer interest in green products can be useful. I have no real knowledge to say whether this product is legit/environmental, but the precedent is certainly good.

I think suburban sprawl is really the problem..I mean urban centers are simply more efficient and were destroyed by big companies by promoting massive roadways and destroying transit systems and allowing cities to decay in every possible way. Part of this was to decentralize in the cold war, but much of it was the same kind of profit motivation that places quick gains over poor long term consequences.

I think alot of people these days have more genuine concern for the environment and for how their actions effect other people. Maybe this is just some media manufactured concept, but I think it has positive effects, or at least guilt!

I totally agree that the model should be to be frugal and particularly to reuse but for much of this larger dependency stuff, the only thing one can expect is for people to go in the route of efficiency which probably means giving up certain kinds of independence to do how one pleases.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:52:55 pm »
I can add another thing to the list of my "greenie" ideas.

Since reading "Lights Out" we go to bed considerably earlier so less lighting costs and since we turn the heat down, less heating costs.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:55:38 pm »
It just dawned on me, by calling those who cook their food (friggin near everyone  ;D ) the tables are turned. They are now categorized and therefore are put in the category of having to justify or defend their actions. Excellent Tyler!
Cheers
Al

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:39:53 am »
I'm not sure finding things you don't necessarily believe in for an effort of guilt causing is the best way to spend time and energy. Sounds like religion to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk