Author Topic: Raw cow butter has no calcium ?  (Read 8542 times)

Offline ster546464@yahoo.co.uk

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw cow butter has no calcium ?
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »
Regarding Weston A Price and the Swiss, I wonder what people's opinions are of this.

http://www.healingourchildren.net/food_nutrition_health.htm

They basically lived off dairy, rye bread, assuming the rye was soaked and sprouted, and meat.

The chart has butter as having no calcium ? I have also read that butter also has no casein in it.
Of course maybe I'm misunderstanding it?

I mention this because people are against raw butter as it distorts the calcium ratio, yet it doesn't have any ? And the testimonials of people who strengthened their teeth using raw butter cannot be ignored. Raw milk and cheese are different though and may cause the raw dairy problems people go on about.

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw cow butter has no calcium ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:46 pm »
Butter is a 99% casein-free food, meaning it does have a small amount of casein in it.  This may initially be a concern to some parents who have been following a GFCF regimen, but we have found that when butter is introduced 4 -7 days after starting the coconut kefir, the small amount of residual casein does not cause a problem- in fact the butter seems to really jump-start the healing process.  Nutritional analysis of raw butter shows that it has less casein in it than human breast milk.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
Butter is the fat part of milk, it contains very small amounts of casien, lactose and about 7mg of calcium per 100g serving.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:50:46 am »
I'm afraid that the  above claims re raw butter being healthy are, of course,quite wrong. First of all, Weston-Price made many dubious unsubstantiated claims about different communities around the world, claiming that, despite the fact they all had widely different diets from each other, that they were somehow all super-healthy. Yet there is evidence that many of the communities he described were nowhere near as healthy as he claimed.

More to the point, a number of dairy-allergic people like me have previously bought into the silly notion that raw butter is somehow OK or healthy, and have subsequently found that even tiny amounts of casein and lactose can affect some people in a bad way, health-wise.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:06:27 am »
thanks for the reply

Just out of curiosity, what raw butter were you using and where did you get it ? As i also Live in the Uk.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:44:13 am »
thanks for the reply

Just out of curiosity, what raw butter were you using and where did you get it ? As i also Live in the Uk.
  Oh, I didn't get it in the UK. At the time, ages back,  I was in Austria and got them from some farmers at a market in Vienna. It was from cows.

When in my godawful primal-diet phase before going rawpalaeo, I did enquire about raw butter and many farmers would sell me raw milk or raw cheese or raw cream, but would refuse to sell me raw butter, claiming that it had to be pasteurised in order to be made. I presume that it is much less profitable to produce raw butter which is really why that is the case.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:50:47 am »
Im assuming it was grass fed, ?

Its less profitable ? As i assume it has a shorter shelf life ?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:53:10 am »
Im assuming it was grass fed, ?

Its less profitable ? As i assume it has a shorter shelf life ?
Less profitable as it probably requires making by hand instead of using machinery. As for the grassfed issue, yes the raw butter  was indeed grassfed.
" Ron Paul.

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 05:21:33 am »
Yet there is evidence that many of the communities he described were nowhere near as healthy as he claimed.

what exactly was weston price wrong about

Yes, proabably some of the people with the communites/tribes were ill. Compared to a western civilisation, they were much better

So, who are the healthiest people in the world then ?  I assume you eat the healthiest diet in the world ?
I dont understand why we have to nit pick little details.
The tribes were happy people, in good health. Isnt that enough ? Sure you can nit pick little details and find one or two who were ill, whats your point ?

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:08:22 am »
where are people getting their information from if they are against weston price so much ?

Mercola ? he reccomends a modified variation of raw paleo, but allows some cooked food, its science , not philospohy or religion

In fact, Mercola wrote that someone did cure autism while still eating dairy, alberit cultured goat dairy, so dairy is bad but raw dairy is a good substitue for people who find it too hard to give up.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/04/24/autism-recovery.aspx

William

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:15 am »
where are people getting their information from if they are against weston price so much ?

Tyler is not "people".  IMHO he is unique.             ;)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:46 pm »
Mercola ? he reccomends a modified variation of raw paleo, but allows some cooked food, its science , not philospohy or religion

In fact, Mercola wrote that someone did cure autism while still eating dairy, alberit cultured goat dairy, so dairy is bad but raw dairy is a good substitue

Did Mercola cite something like this?
    http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Concerns/Autism/Autism_Malnutrition_and_Milk
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

There is evidence all over the place that shows that hunter-gatherer communities such as Weston-Price studied were unhealthy. For example, here's 2 links re the Maori:-

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/events/ruralhealth/2005/papers/8nrhcfinalpaper00603.pdf

http://www.nzbr.org.nz/documents/publications/publications-2006/maori_eco_development.pdf

Then there's the famous study by Mann which showed that the Masai had the atherosclerotic tendencies of old men:-

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/1/26

Quackwatch has an amusing article which pinpoints the ridiculousness of WP's ideas, which were based on a whirlwind tour of numerous native tribes with poor scientific analysis - quackwatch mentions the high infant mortality within such  tribes, their endemic diseases etc. etc.:-

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

Critics of Weston-Price have noted that the hunter-gatherer tribes he claimed were so healthy died in vast numbers after contracting diseases(smallpox etc.) from white colonists, long before they ever took up Western-styled diets, hardly a sign that native diets were remotely healthy. Also, Weston-Price conveniently ignored many other factors:- for example, the fact is that hunter-gatherers, such as the Masai mentioned above, did far greater levels of physical activity and it is well-known on a scientific level, that  the more one exercises the more one reduces the amounts of some of the heat-created toxins in the body(ie "AGEs") Plus, these hunter-gatherer tribes had no choice but to frequently go in for feast-and-famine due to changing supplies of foods available; and it is also well-known by scientists that fasting leads to a reduction in the amounts of some of the heat-created toxins from cooking. In other words, these hunter-gatherers ate unhealthy cooked diets but led healthier lifestyles(exercise/not eating too much) which meant that they were a bit better protected from such diets than Westerners, in terms of health, but not much more.

Weston-Price also seems to have ignored other factors such as alcoholism, as being major factors in the decline of many hunter-gatherers. In the case of the Maori, he somehow "forgot" to mention that maori health and lifespan only improved once they turned to western diets, implying that their previous diets were none too healthy.

As for the issue of autism, I don't believe a word of it. For one thing, dairy has been heavily implicated in autism. And most so-called autism "cures" involve merely a reduction in some of a few minor symptoms not an overall cure of the  whole condition. More to the point, diagnoses of autism have grown astronomically while diagnoses of other conditions has greatly decreased, implying that many so-called autistic people have widely different conditions from each other, some more minor than others.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:42:56 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »
Of course, Weston-Price is doubly damned for resurrecting the laughable Noble Savage myth long since ridiculed By Voltaire and others in the 18th century. But his promotion of cooked, neolithic diets, often involving copious, harmful amounts of grains and dairy, is just moronic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:41:01 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk