Author Topic: Camping Raw  (Read 765 times)

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Camping Raw
« on: May 26, 2023, 06:18:18 am »
I did a search and didn't find anything on the forum.  Are there any tips on how to eat raw while camping? 

I can use a cooler with ice but ice melts pretty quickly in summer and it turns into a sloshy mess.

I was thinking of maybe air drying some meat like I've read about others on here doing.  But I need tips for that, too.  The last time I tried drying meat it just became hard, dry, and tasteless, like cardboard.  It didn't have any of the aged tastiness that many here seem to relish. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline gomomo

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Camping Raw
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 01:19:10 pm »
For a good jerky recipe look up 'lexrooker' on this forum. He shows how to make dried meats (although I now use the wire shelf in the oven and put it on 'low' with the door cracked open with a wooden spoon.

If I was going camping and knew I would be eating the meat soon-ish I may try drying it out 80% rather than 100%. It will still have some microbial activity so wont 'keep' for weeks, and will continue to age a little, just slowly.

Aajonus suggested placing meat in oil i think as an idea for storage, but I never tried that and would have to look it up (storage long term without oxygen for food is potentially dangerous).

Jerky can be rehydrated with a little water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk