Author Topic: Vitamin D and tanning  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Vitamin D and tanning
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:02:17 am »
I did a search and came up with a few threads on this, but nothing conclusive.  Since its winter again here in Wisconsin, and already WAY too cold to expose any skin outdoors (plus I think we're too far north to actually have the sun close enough to make vitamin D at this time of the year).  I have been doing a lot of research on the best way to get vitamin D, especially because of my location and the fact that I have multiple sclerosis which is linked to vitamin D deficiency. 

From what I've learned, it seems that the best way would be to use tanning in a sunbed to make vitamin D.  Now I just need to find somewhere that knows something about the UVA/UVB ratios that thier beds make!  Apparently the "medium pressure" beds make a ratio more similar to the sun, and are best for D production. 
I'd love to be able to find something I could afford to buy and use at home, but for now I think I'll just be using tanning salons.

Ideally, I'd just spend all summer outdoors to soak up enough to last me (since your body can store it) but I work full-time indoors (for now....) so I'm sure I didn't make enough over the summer to hold me over the winter.

What are your thoughts?  What do other northern-living people here do for vitamin D in the winter? 

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin D and tanning
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:47 am »
There is plenty of information in this thread. Be sure to check out the Gizmodo article.

As for personal experience: Inspired by sabertooth's experiment with sun tanning I decided to begin sun tanning regularly. I've been twice now and love it. When I finish I always feel relaxed and warm from my core--the way humans should be. I live in northern Nevada and hardly get enough UV exposure even though I'm outside a lot because I'm always covered in clothing. I highly recommend getting enough UV exposure including experimenting with sun tanning.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:49 am »
Fabulous, thanks!  I'll check it out : )
Glad to hear of your positive experience!

Offline brian99

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:02 am »
I'm curious how this worked out for you, SileIndigo.  I'm looking into this myself, but I haven't found information on what UVA/UVB ratio is ideal.  The highest UVB ratio I've been able to find near me is 10%.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk