Author Topic: Foul fowl?  (Read 4993 times)

Offline iceman

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Foul fowl?
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:35 am »
Are there any fresh (dead) or frozen birds that are not grain fed, that I can buy at a local store?    My local store has frozen cornish game hens but I'm pretty sure they were not hunted down as typical wild game.  And are chickens "bottom feeders" like pigeons, which might make a "natural diet" not so clean?  I don't know what a wild chicken eats besides bugs, and I don't see farmers feeding bugs to chickens.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:26:09 am by iceman »

Satya

Re: Foul fowl?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:55:38 am »
Are there any fresh (dead) or frozen birds that are not grain fed, that I can buy at a local store?    My local store has frozen cornish game hens but I'm pretty sure they were not hunted down as typical wild game.  And are chickens "bottom feeders" like pigeons, which might make a "natural diet" not so clean?  I don't know what a wild chicken eats besides bugs, and I don't see farmers feeding bugs to chickens.   

I raise a few chickens and have for almost 4 years.  Chickens are natural grain eaters, whereas ruminants like cows and sheep should never eat grain.  That said, grain is a minor part of their diet and they can live without it.  Chickens eat bugs, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, grains and eggs.  They love it all.  I have a clear path round my compost bin free of grass, thanks to the chooks eating insect larvae.  Everyone should raise their own chickens if they eat the flesh or eggs.  Buying poultry from anyone but local friends is dodgy because the price fetched is so cheap, and thus, feeding and lifestyle practices will be cut.  And btw, also be careful of any large poultry operation.  They must have a good range and lots of bugs.  My eggs are super pristine with deep orange, perky, spherical yolks.  My 5 hens graze on 1 acre fenced without any restriction - they truly range free!  I could have 5 times as many do just as well, but any more than that, and the quality suffers.  Visit your poultry farm and ask questions.  But know that you will always do better raising your own!  Getting back to nature is a process.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:57:49 am by Satya »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:55:04 pm »
It's a mistake to feed chickens on a 100% grain diet, as their natural diet consists of worms, insetcs, leaves etc. Grains are only a minor part of the diet of jungle-fowl in the wild. My own experience has been that the taste of wild fowl, such as wild mallard duck etc., is always far superior to that of the free-range/organic grainfed chickens that are available in my farmer's market.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »
I ate pheasant raw for the first time tonight, so my head was already in this topic.  By the way it was great. 

Even where 'grain' is not an option, pheasants in the US survive on seeds, because insects are not available year-round.  Does this make the meat bad for you?  Does it matter since they have so little fat?  Is the only difference between them and chickens (from a health standpoint) the fact that they are generally older when eaten?

I'm assuming wild birds here.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:06 am »
I don't think grain eating would make meat unhealthy in an animal that is meant to eat grains. Pheasant I would think is better than chicken because it is less intensely bred for large scale farming characteristics and closer to it's wild counterpart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk