Author Topic: Steaming certain vegetables, good or bad on rawpaleo?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Steaming certain vegetables, good or bad on rawpaleo?
« on: August 06, 2014, 12:33:40 am »
Ill eat most of my vegetables raw... my cucumbers, lettuce, sprouts, bell peppers, celery ect...

But ive been steaming many other of my vegetables such as Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, and kale. For about 3 minutes on low heat. Ive read that it kills the anti nutrients in these powerful vegetables. I am concerned however that it could be effecting the nutrients in them. Anyone have any insight into this?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Steaming certain vegetables, good or bad on rawpaleo?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:31 am »
Steaming vegetables which taste awful raw makes a sort of sense since those very vegetables have higher antinutrient levels than most other vegetables. However, cooking creates nasty heat-created toxins as part of the process. If you  are just lightly steaming, then nutrient-loss etc. will be rather slight. My own view, imo, is  simply not to eat such bad-tasting veg anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:16 pm »
But ive been steaming many other of my vegetables such as Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, and kale.
Don't steam those... just eat them raw. Broccoli is the worst of those in regards to eating raw. Cauliflower and cabbage I've eaten raw for as long as I can remember, they taste good raw. Cabbage I like (the hard cabbage particularly), especially if it's rather juicy, has never caused any issues, unless I've eaten too much at once.

Doesn't steaming destroy flavor also?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:38:53 pm »
Yeah, there's no reason to steam veggies.

But why do you say broccoli is the worst? You may currently not like it, but others (me, for example) often like to eat some broccoli stem. Everyone is different, don't generalize and think that everybody is like you, please.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
Yeah, there's no reason to steam veggies.

But why do you say broccoli is the worst? You may currently not like it, but others (me, for example) often like to eat some broccoli stem. Everyone is different, don't generalize and think that everybody is like you, please.
I didn't mean worse like very bad or even just bad, but to eat it in the amounts I normally eat cabbage would in my case definitely lead to some stomach issues.
Every time I've eaten broccoli I've felt like it shouldn't be eaten as much as cabbage, that as you say "some".
In fact where I live broccoli isn't eaten much at all anywhere. But cabbage is. Probably because it doesn't grow well here.

Never did generalize nor think everybody is like me, nor did I ever suggest it. If I had then I would literally had said so. Please don't presume to know what I think, because you do not. And consider that not everything is put into words that runs through the mind, and that words are not anywhere as accurate as thoughts and notions in the mind. So instead of presuming this and that perhaps first ask why I said something the way I did?

The OP talked about these items in the context of them containing antinutrients. And so, broccoli, though cauliflower should be about the same, can't eat either as much as cabbage without issues. But that doesn't mean broccoli is bad, far from it, it's good.
And obviously people are familiar foremost with themselves.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »
OK !  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:57 pm »
It would probably have been hard for paleolithic man to steam a vegetable, anyway, unless you consider leaf-wrapped cooked foods which might have been done in some areas. You can find studies comparing nutritional content of raw vs. steamed vegetables, but steaming is something that stone-age man couldn't have done. At any rate, I prefer to think of "cooked" paleo foods as Paleo Fusion cooking, like my daughter's paleo waffles, marrying paleo-available foods with modern cooking techniques.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk