Author Topic: leaving supermarket meat out of fridge  (Read 4381 times)

Offline uph0

• Forager
    • View Profile
leaving supermarket meat out of fridge
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:20:25 pm »
I bought some plastic sealed raw meat and I was wondering what will happen if I leave it sealed at room temperature for 24 hrs or so? I'm still rather scared about bacteria. (well, I've already left the meat out for 2 hours) Or would it be better to open the package and let air touch the meat? I'm not trying to make high meat. Its just that my refrigerator is broken.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: leaving supermarket meat out of fridge
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:35:38 pm »
I don't think it matters for 24 hours. I've left vacuum-packed raw wild hare carcasses unopened for that period outside the fridge with no issues. I wouldn't recommend doing so for more than 3 days or so. I have noticed that some of my plastic-sealed meats developed a dodgy toxic taste(quite unlike aged raw meat exposed to the air) if left out , still sealed , after more than 5 days.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22:30 am »
Boy, I don't know Tyler,  that's a long time with no air.  I'd be concerned about the bacteria that thrive without air causing problems

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:27:29 am »
Boy, I don't know Tyler,  that's a long time with no air.  I'd be concerned about the bacteria that thrive without air causing problems
My thoughts exactly.
I wouldn't let it sit out sealed more than 12 hours. After that I'd open it up and hold it in something (even a tupperware container you air out every 12-24 hours).
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk