Author Topic: Living in the wild  (Read 67603 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Re: Living in the wild
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:55 am »
2 photos for Yuli :

In bigger size here

Humans, bonobos, dolphins and perhaps whales are particular in that they have perennial sexual and genital relations, I mean even the already pregnant women and children not yet able to reproduce also have sexual drives or even genital relations. Why is that? Sexologists and psychoanalysts answer is “for the pleasure”. That’s like telling the purpose of eating is just and only for the pleasure
Francois
I remembering seeing that show, where they are having sex , for God's sake, there is no recognition for who's the father, mother, children, uncles or aunts. everyone's involved in sexual activities among themselves . Why don't you just join with chimps?
bugs or country chickens

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2010, 05:07:08 am »
There seems to be intrinsic discomfort to a male human in the situation of the female mating with other males

This seems intrinsic to most men in our actual culture; not for Pacific Islanders, not for Inuits, not for most hunter-gatherers... and not for me as long as the other guy is or becomes a friend of mine. As already said: if I love her, I want her to be happy and free and I want our love to last. Thus I don't lock her in chastity belt.

Shall we split the topic and open a new one about marriage and so ? I don't know, I just ask.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:46 am »
This seems intrinsic to most men in our actual culture; not for Pacific Islanders, not for Inuits, not for most hunter-gatherers... and not for me as long as the other guy is or becomes a friend of mine. As already said: if I love her, I want her to be happy and free and I want our love to last. Thus I don't lock her in chastity belt.

Shall we split the topic and open a new one about marriage and so ? I don't know, I just ask.

ok, since this cannot be determined, i'll give you that its possible, but the very article you posted that had a specific theory/bias said it is 'extremely rare" in traditional human tribes and associates it largely with specific function. I can't claim that you are being disingenuous, but I can say from the exposure i've had to this concept that many seem enthusiastic about such things but inevitably decided otherwise. Perhaps the cultural conditioning is too much (I mean that non sarcastically) but I suspect not.

---
I guess a poll of who would welcome someone screwing the pregnant mother of their child seems about right.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:05 am »
thanks for the clarification kd. i didn't realize you were mainly talking about relationships

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2010, 05:41:39 am »
Why don't you just join with chimps?
Because sexual activities are such an awful and destructive thing. I prefer to burn diesel fuel in my car, pay taxes useful to improve our military equipment and police force, have nuclear generated electricity at home and travel by plane sometimes to fill my CO2 emissions allowance.
 ;)

Perhaps the cultural conditioning is too much (I mean that non sarcastically) but I suspect not.
It’s extremely powerful, very difficult to get out of it. We have been conditioned in it ever since early childhood.

I guess a poll of who would welcome someone screwing the pregnant mother of their child seems about right.
Sexual doesn’t necessarily mean genital. There can be sexual, physical relations without any penetration.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2010, 05:55:57 am »

It’s extremely powerful, very difficult to get out of it. We have been conditioned in it ever since early childhood.

Sexual doesn’t necessarily mean genital. There can be sexual, physical relations without any penetration.

the problem with that theory is if it is an innate desire suppressed by civilization, it would occur pretty much unilaterally amongst both animals and primitive peoples. Particularly since it has such obvious benefit, and since I believe you and others are also arguing it is better for propagation, the childrens' upbringing etc...

I don't quite agree with sexual not meaning genital. I think it means someones genitals are involved somewhere, but yes possibly lacking vaginal penetration. The article you posted made it seem like the purpose was to have as much genital sex as possible during pregancy in polyandry as a major bonus.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:44 am »

the problem with that theory is if it is an innate desire suppressed by civilization, it would occur pretty much unilaterally amongst both animals and primitive peoples. Particularly since it has such obvious benefit, and since I believe you and others are also arguing it is better for propagation, the childrens' upbringing etc...

All primitive populations cook their food today. So it’s difficult to know exactly what was the human sexual behavior prior to the mastery of fire and food cooking.

I don't quite agree with sexual not meaning genital. I think it means someones genitals are involved somewhere, but yes possibly lacking vaginal penetration. The article you posted made it seem like the purpose was to have as much genital sex as possible during pregancy in polyandry as a major bonus.

I quickly found this article by Google and didn’t event read it attentively. I linked it just to show that monogamy is not so ubiquitous amongst mammals and primates. There is a lot of literature about it, this is just a sample.

“Sexual” is very vague. We all have sexual attributes, there’s sexual differentiation. What is exactly a sexual relation? There can be something sexual in a stare, in a handshake, in a pat. We are of the same sex, aren’t we?  So, properly speaking, our relation on this forum is… homosexual! But no, we don’t want to sleep together, do we?  
 :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:37 am »
We all have cultural differences seeing we all live in different countries and different cultures.

My take:

Serial monogamy is destructive. Yuck.

Polygamy or the behavior of polygamy is all around you, it is human fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_Wars

The trick to making monogamy work:
- wives prefer their men visit prostitutes and use condoms so he can get his sexual fill
- wives will pay no mind to mistresses as long as the man has abundant money

But if wives think about it, prostitutes are usually dirtier than mistresses.  But for the wives, prostitutes are better because there is an assumed no emotional commitment.

So even if mistresses are cleaner and healthier for men, wives don't like mistresses because they cost more in terms of child support and emotional commitment is assumed as well.

The trick for wives is:
- Accept this is fact.  So there are no delusions.

Why do you think red light districts and mistressing is all around you?  This is why.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:02:20 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
We all have cultural differences seeing we all live in different countries and different cultures.

My take:

Serial monogamy is destructive. Yuck.

Polygamy or the behavior of polygamy is all around you, it is human fact.

again, no. As I said, you can have your opinion on what you prefer personally, but as Iguana has basically accepted, no culture (an aspect of post symbolic thought i.e. civilization) ever on this planet to anyone's knowledge practices regular polygamy unilaterally as one would expect from something so obviously good. This also is apparently due to cooking. There is no cultural infulence on this issue whatsoever unless it comes from a religious order of some kind, probably located in Utah. Certainly no present secular cultures. As for serial manogamy, that was essentially the end synopsis of the information provided, it is neither good nor bad, just human natures statistical preference given freedom to choose, even with options between poly and indefinite monogamy. As for SW, you seem to bring this book in to rationalize many things it does not even support, not to mention most of the statistics and general hypothesis are basically wrong.

Which cultures have you perceived and experienced that apply this concept and deliver it to the children in such a way as to create a sustainable system of fulfilled individuals of both sexes? Or again is this just  something you've theorized by reading it in a book or on the internet? Also where do you stand on the other side of the coin as has been discussed, with multiple male partners? or the lack of ease in achieving multiple partners in a natural setting or which non of these 'authors' would ever bother addressing because it is not their concern.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:25:02 am by KD »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2010, 09:26:05 am »
again, no. As I said, you can have your opinion on what you prefer personally, but as Iguana has basically accepted, no culture (an aspect of post symbolic thought i.e. civilization) ever on this planet to anyone's knowledge practices regular polygamy unilaterally as one would expect from something so obviously good. This also is apparently due to cooking. There is no cultural infulence on this issue whatsoever unless it comes from a religious order of some kind, probably located in Utah. Certainly no present cultures. As for serial manogamy, that was essentially the end synopsis of the information provided, it is neither good nor bad, just human natures statistical preference given freedom to choose, even with options between poly and indefinite monogamy. As for SW, you seem to bring this book in to rationalize many things it does not even support, not to mention most of the statistics and general hypothesis are basically wrong.

Which cultures have you perceived and experienced that apply this concept and deliver it to the children in such a way as to create a sustainable system of fulfilled individuals of both sexes? Or again is this just  something you've theorized by reading it in a book or on the internet? Also where do you stand on the other side of the coin as has been discussed, with multiple male partners? or the lack of ease in achieving multiple partners in a natural setting or which non of these 'authors' would ever bother addressing because it is not their concern.

You live in a fantasy "ideal" world KD.

It's a dog eat dog world out there.

You may not like it, but I'm just telling you the way it really is.

People don't live up to your ideal and they never will and never have.

Wake up man.
Did your grandparents and parents give you a sanitized censored transcript of their lives?

I agree to disagree with you.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2010, 09:35:04 am »
what the hell are you talking about? what ideal am i presenting? i'm saying statistically people choose some form of monogamy over trying to balance multiple partners, and the ones who say that is what they want, cannot also avoid some monogamy. Even Igunna would agree with that, and probably blame it on our deranged cooking experiments. why arn't you yourself practing what you are saying? what examples of what you say are at all cultural? youre just grasping here.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:47 am »
please explain how the real world works and what I'm missing. dog eat dog means you actually have to compete for mates, I believe that is what I was saying earlier. If one can't actually compete, but needs wealth and infulence to hold on to women, who essential have no power in those societies, than how is that at all a reflection of nature or how 'it' really is?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2010, 10:10:33 am »
Well, I would heavily disagree that women in a polygamous mariage have no power/rights. If one takes a closer look at independent, as opposed to FLDS etc. ,  mormon fundamentalist marriages, for example,  one finds that the women in those marriages get surprising  extra advantages that women in monogamous marriages don't get at all. For example, such women, are often able to work while leaving childcare to 1 of the other wives, for a period. Plus, with all the extra wives, they do not have to worry about their husbands leaving them to go with other younger women when they get too old etc. Plus, when one thinks about it , a man with several wives risks bcoming  a seriously hen-pecked husband rather than some dominating patriarch.
As for wealth and influence, that is merely an aspect of GS's notions re survival of the fittest. I doubt he thinks ALL males have the right to be polygamous, only some(ie such as individuals like himself!).

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:02 am »
please explain how the real world works and what I'm missing. dog eat dog means you actually have to compete for mates, I believe that is what I was saying earlier. If one can't actually compete, but needs wealth and infulence to hold on to women, who essential have no power in those societies, than how is that at all a reflection of nature or how 'it' really is?

What you are missing is that there is your ideal, how you want to live, how you wish everything was peaceful fine and dandy.  

20 years ago this was my ideal.  I even volunteer and still currently volunteer for www.prolife.org.ph so you know how idealistic I can be.

But the reality on the ground with the behavior of both MEN and WOMEN is just not the "ideal" monogamy fantasy.  You may get 5% or less of people practicing that ideal honest monogamy.  But for most people it is a combination.  Up front it's monogamy, behind the scenes, woman has another inseminator, man inseminates many other women, women would rather share a good man than settle for a mediocre bachelor, it's all colorful...

But that's the way it is.

Everything in

is true.  You just have to be nosy enough with your friends and relatives as I was and still am.  Just be happy that this is the way people are and accept people as they are.

Drop the strong male assumption, females are the more choosy ones and they will not settle for mediocre bachelors.  Many of them are just so much more magnetized to attached men.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
tyler: this could turn into an entirely other argument, but one essential aspect of power is the ability to actually refuse an arrangement or leave it entirely, which due to religious and other constructs, is fairly impossible for many of the women to take advantage of. Its quite possible that people are satisfied with their predicament, but they don't have power as an individual or as equal to the males in choosing mates themselves.

GS: it has nothing to do with how I wish to live. Its numbers. I'm saying yes largely everyone wishes to have multiple partners, I agree and clearly most people are not capable of that, otherwise there would be no reason to be mystified that people still maintain marriages or that everyone wasn't doing everyone. Give the fact that people have options, including yourself to indeed have things on the side or in the open, there is no doubt that there is an intrinsic desire to have long lasting partners, and that there are biological desires are worth sacrificing. Whether suppressing these desires results in problems is not really the same issue as whether we desire monogamy or not.

I understanding very well that your perspective is framed by anti-abortion and similar type philosophies. What I said was this isn't your culture....nor is it the culture of France that holds these beliefs so claiming that i think was fairly disingenuous . The only cultural thing might be that pro-life in the US means anti-abortion, as pro-choice people believe one can either have life or not, so they are the ones that are open to people doing what they wish with their bodies, whereas traditional religious groups that makes up most of the pro-life movement....not so much and fairly stuck on the monogamy end.

Just because there are plenty of problems associated with monogamy (most of which being augmented by modern situations) does not change that people don't function well with other arrangements either. As for the dog eat dog thing, that was your term and i'm expressed what it means in terms of this original topic. Rarely do I pull the 'how it is done in nature thing" but :raw: had a good point that I ran with which and Tyler concedes that in a small setting with very few available partners, not every person can be polygamous, so it can't very well be the absolute design for all humans prior to the formation into societies.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:51 am »
We're all thinking of "living in the wild" and we have to take into account the realities of human nature so the living in the wild idea becomes successful.

I like driving with the correct map.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:23 am »
I was talking more about my example of functional strength for instance as being sort of a requirement for an opinion. If people here could not survive in nature they obviously could not outmatch someone who could never mind have more than one wife, in terms of the brute competition of primitives as 'raw' mentioned.

To be able to live in the true wild, and in the way where these issues would occur, we would need to go back in time... And if we were to go back in time, none of us would have become the same as we are anyway, so what you are saying is pointless. Unless you are imagining we have a time machine, and can transport ourselves, as we are, into the past?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2010, 11:49:27 am »
To be able to live in the true wild, and in the way where these issues would occur, we would need to go back in time... And if we were to go back in time, none of us would have become the same as we are anyway, so what you are saying is pointless. Unless you are imagining we have a time machine, and can transport ourselves, as we are, into the past?

huh? like I just said, I pull the "in nature we would do this" card less than anyone here, I usually do not care how ancient people lived in regards to most issues. one can today go out in nature and see if they can survive for even a week and if they can actually kill and carry an animal to a waiting person far away. What is speculative about that? People were claiming that having more than one partner was an original pre civilization regular occurrence, so they were the ones who need the machine because what they are speaking of does not exist currently. Most evidence - speculation yes- assumes the original packs were not very large and didn't have a hierarchy where some could lay around and not require strength, so I would wager individuals would need basic levels of fitness to survive in nature in any time period, not to mention to maintain a sense of manliness within a small tribe.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
But none of us here do live in the past.. You can't say that this wouldn't work, just because GS, who lives in the modern world and earns his living on a computer, couldn't drag a 100kg animal for miles.. If he lived back in a time when this was even relevant, then he would not be the same GS...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:36 pm »
But none of us here do live in the past.. You can't say that this wouldn't work, just because GS, who lives in the modern world and earns his living on a computer, couldn't drag a 100kg animal for miles.. If he lived back in a time when this was even relevant, then he would not be the same GS...

absolutely, but then other needs change and evolve as well, don't you think? This is exactly why traditions spring up and rules are created, because peoples needs change as society restructures itself. therefore its neither good nor bad. If someone is talking about reverting to certain situations (due to judging as bad), raw and myself are pointing out that your opening the doors to having physical domination and other things come out of the woodwork, not to mention other implied bulldozing over other various progressive protections of rights of individuals of both sexes. People can deny this all they want, but its implicit in much of this stuff. It seems less hypocritical to me coming from someone like Mel Gibson or a similar person, yeah, I stand by that.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »
Personally, what is wild enough for me is Palawan.  Beside the beach where fishing is easy, and you can pick up shellfish and sea urchins.  And on land have a herd of goats and ducks.  With coconut trees near the beach and fruit trees all around.  Seems nice and comfy enough.  Plant some vegetables and sweet potatoes for good measure.

Sounds like a survival retreat in case the current civilization goes crazy.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:16:58 pm by goodsamaritan »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2010, 12:46:55 pm »
I am lost in these debates.

What's this about dragging a 100kg animal for miles?
No one would have to do that by themselves back in the days. They had brothers and relatives to help carry or butcher.

As far as polygamy vs monogamy. I do imagine that people had multiple sexual partners back in paleo days throughout an entire lifetime. But who knows how many and the social structer of that? No one.

Humans are not gorrillas, wolves, lions or baboons.
 I wouldn't munch down some organs while everyone waits their turn, or have all the woman to myself if I was the dominant one in a tribe.

I would share organs, and I only need one woman. Their would be too much back stabbing in a tribe where dog eats dog is applied. I want everyone's trust in a tribe, whether I have 1 or 5 women. A stronge tribe is a tribe that cooperates.

In a tribe where everyone eats big game animals raw. Everyman man and person is needed to cooperate to hunt and watch young ones. Healthy people who cooperate = a peaceful group/tribe.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2010, 06:22:51 pm »
What a flood of posts during the night in Europe! Who's gonna read all that?

I wouldn't munch down some organs while everyone waits their turn, or have all the woman to myself if I was the dominant one in a tribe.

I would share organs, and I only need one woman. Their would be too much back stabbing in a tribe where dog eats dog is applied. I want everyone's trust in a tribe, whether I have 1 or 5 women. A stronge tribe is a tribe that cooperates.

In a tribe where everyone eats big game animals raw. Everyman man and person is needed to cooperate to hunt and watch young ones. Healthy people who cooperate = a peaceful group/tribe.

Absolutely. Elephants cooperate and help each other in a herd.

EDIT : The problem with you, KD, is that you write faster than normal people can read. I strongly suspect that you belong to the rare polykeyboarder type (found amongst very few homo sapiens and bonobos) and that you type not only with 10 fingers, but with 20 - hands and feet.  
 :o  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:26:32 pm by Iguana »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2010, 07:50:14 pm »
What a flood of posts during the night in Europe! Who's gonna read all that?
People truly interested in the discussion at hand. I read it all. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »

I'm glad you do !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk