Author Topic: Inclined Bed Therapy (formerly Elevating the head of your bed)  (Read 79687 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I just read an article by Dr. Nenah Sylver PhD about Inclined Bed Therapy IBT developed in the UK by Andrew K Fletcher. The head of the bed is initially elevated between 3 and 4 inches and gradually raised to an optimum 8 inches.

Takes a bit of getting used to but apparently it is quite amazing.

Here's one link I found on it. Nice thing is it's free.  ;D

--- image added for clarity --- by GoodSamaritan ---

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:56:17 pm by goodsamaritan »
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Inclined Bed Therapy (formerly Elevating the head of your bed)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:13 am »
I've read about this and it's quite interesting. Don't see the link though.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:17 am »
Sounds interesting.  Let us know how it goes, Al.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:47 pm »
They say to do it gradually starting at 3-4 " for a few days and gradually increase to 8". Also it will tend to get worse before it improves. My wife reported no snoring which is nothing short of amazing.

Last night I did 3.5 " . I noticed I felt very warm.  Will check in as time goes on.

BTW I sleep on a camping type, probably 2" thick ground pad that is full of air and rubber. This is on top of the floor normally, but I took the plywood out from the regular bed and used it as a base.

Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
I hardly slept at all last night because I was thinking about how much I want to try this. I hate my bed. I kept mentally designing and re-designing my next bed. It's going to be a slanted board with a thin pad - maybe I'll get fancy and make it a fold-up futon style bed that slants.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:36:00 am »
I'm excited too Eve.
Seems like it would easier logistically to do the whole thing at once - but do understand the concept of going slow.
Blow by blow coverage on this please Al .... and anyone else trying it too!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »
I sent hubbie the info and he wants to try it! Great cuz now he can figure out how to work the mechanics. :)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:50 am »
This is what I sleep on nowadays
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/SleepingPadsInflating/PRD~5021-438/therm-a-rest-luxury-map-sleeping-pad.jsp
We have a memory foam bed and it is gross after awhile, like sleeping in a hammock, even with plywood under it. It also retains too much heat.

Last night I raised it to 6" and will keep it there for a few days. No problems, apparently snoring has ceased. : )
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48:43 am »
Hubbie went out and bought what was necessary to raise my half of our two full sized pushed together thingamajigs that we sleep on yesterday. He put his side up on telephone books only a couple inches and mine he bought two 6 inch higher feet for - but where the feet are located the lift was more than 5 inches more.

He wanted me to share this slanted metal attachment thing he found that he was so excited about in case it's useful to anyone else:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_837-1380-2752_0__?productId=3044342&Ntt=top+plate&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtop%2Bplate&facetInfo

I absolutely LOVE the new angle. I had dreams like I used to have - hard to describe the difference - but something I've missed. My feet had been hurting quite a bit lately (something new and annoying like the joint thing) but I felt the bed angle changing that and my feet hurt less today but............. I did spend a couple of hours on the bed this morning doing yoga and napping with my head at the BOTTOM - which was almost better than the other way!

I'm in love with this - but tonight Brian gets my side to check out the full tilt and how it affects him if at all - and basically to see if he likes it so that he can tilt his side all the way.

This is my first change that I've decided to do fully out of everything that came up and was suggested on the reversing aging thread - mostly because hubbie was so darn into it and made it happen so fast.

Once again Al I send you hardy thanks!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:02:26 am »
It's too bad I couldn't send you the complete article on it from Nenah Sylver's book as it is an interesting read. The whole book is the size of a telephone book for a mid sized city with 750 pages.

It's an incredible collection of history of medicine from ancient times to now with a history of the skullduggery that goes on in the FDA/AMA/Allopathic drug cartel. Every page is more crap that these guys have pulled off.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
oooh - I'd probably love that book!

All I did was tell hubbie that there was this one link you posted on raising the bed and before you know it he was researching the whole thing and off to Lowes. Gotta love that guy! When something is really right he feels it and moves. He has done the research - not me - and is telling me bits and pieces about water and plants and minerals and horizontal water tubes and mad scientist experiments. I would love to turn him on to more info.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:48 am »
My wife likes to laugh that every time she goes away for a few days to visit her sister she never knows who she is coming home to. Once she came home to someone who was doing sungazing, then once it was a guy who was eating raw meat and rotten meat after 23 years as a vege. The list constantly expands. ;)
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:42:53 pm »
Keeps it interesting right Al? The one thing my husband always said about me is that I was interesting. I'd rather have that than beautiful, sexy etc. because those things can and have changed over time and there's always someone else out there that can be more beautiful or more sexy - but there's no one who's ever going to be more interesting because I'm interesting in my own freaky unique way that no one else can be.

It's been raining so much here there's been no sungazing - that will be nice to get back to. ;) Yeah - sitting outside with my feral cats looking at the sun because some dude I think is cool on the web says he does it...... and hubbie thinks it's cool - gotta love the lovers of the interesting right? But then again - he's the guy that ran out the Lowes so he's pretty interesting too!

Your wife sungazes with you right? Does she eat raw meat? She went along with the raising the bed right? That's a gift.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »
We're crazy together.
NIght 1 3" felt warm in the AM, nose stuffed a bit slight breathing noise ocnl soft snore
Night two 4.5" nothing unusual, slight breathing noise no snore
Night three 6" noticed that I was sleeping on a slant. No snore
Night four 6" slant felt like no slant. Snore namore

Tomorrow maybe the big 8 point zero  ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 11:04:40 pm »
I slept on the "weirdo" bed again last night just to make sure nothing intense started happening to me before hubbie with more "issues" started.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night slid halfway down my bed! Again in the morning I was a sliding. I thought it was really funny. I think we should measure the incline we made - because it's really pretty big because we elevated more to the middle of the bed rather than at the ends.

I'm really into dreams and my dreams are what are being the most affected (as far as I can tell). I'm also waking up in the morning with a faster overall vibration. I hope I don't have to explain that one! lol

But the thing I'm loving is the slant when I'm doing my yoga in the morning. I put my head at the foot of the bed and it feels amazing. I can use that extra gravity to relax into my poses and that gentle movement of the blood to my brain is so nice. I know it's not what the idea is supposed to be with doing this - but it's a side benefit that I think is quite wonderful. I spend at least a couple of hours a day doing yoga/acupressure etc. in bed in the morning so it's not like it's just a few extra minutes with my head lower - it's hours.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »
I had dreams also.

I've had it on my list for a long time to make an inversion table also. A friend has one and he and his wife love it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:46 am »
Maybe with your new bed you won't need an inversion table.

I want to know more about why this thing works because I'm awfully tempted to sleep one night with my head towards the bottom.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »
So I talked to my sweet husband about the desire to put my head down - what did he do? He found a forum on incline beds and researched the data that has been gathered by other trying it:

http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com/index.php?option=com_ninjaboard&view=forums&Itemid=30

One of the things we've both been noticing is that we are both a lot thirstier and drinking tons of water. In the discussion with the incline bed the urine is tested to be more dense because the kidneys can put more toxins into the urine. Also, the body temperature can go so more water is evaporated from the mouth. When one puts their head down all night the density of the urine toxins goes dramatically down because the kidneys aren't able to work as well.

Apparently the core temperature dips a couple of degrees when sleeping flat and stays stable on an incline bed. I really am thirsty! I better get up and get some water.... yet again.

So, some inversion yoga in the morning but no sleeping all night that way.

I'm going to have some fun looking over that forum and thought I'd share it.

This goes directly to the reverse trendelenberg position page on that forum (sleeping like a bat).
http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com/index.php?option=com_ninjaboard&view=topic&id=46&Itemid=30
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:28:43 pm by Dorothy »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 02:18:27 am »
Theeeeersteeeeee!

Hubbie up 2 times last night to pee and drinking, drinking, drinking water - me too!

Yet............. my pee that is always completely clear was a little yellow this morning. That only happens when I eat something I know my body doesn't like with a toxic aspect to it  - and I've been eating real good.

This seems to me to be a nice kidney cleanse. What a very easy way to do it! I love things I can do in my sleep. ;)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:13 am »
how do your feet feel in the morning? or your neck and back?
do you think this is something that may be beneficial in the short run but not the long? ive slept on hills before and never was able to sleep well lol:(

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 06:10:55 am »
They say that some people can get short term muscle aches. I don't feel any or enough that I would notice. My neck and shoulders feel the same. I've been feeling more awake in the morning is all. I used to sleep one REM cycle when I was at my raw best and then go in and out of the second REM cycle with lighter sleep, lucid dreams, doing dream work, meditating etc. I've missed that because since I went that period where I didn't sleep for half a year taking care of my mother I've been sleeping almost too solidly sometimes past the 9 hours the two REMs take and then had to do my dream work and meditation after that. Half a year without meditation or dream work in itself was a big change - let alone the sleep. I needed to make up for all of it sure - but I kept hoping things would eventually go back. Since the first night on a slant I've gone back into my old pattern of sleep which feels healthier and happier with my dreams more vivid again and I have more energy first thing in the morning. Last night in the second half of the night I felt like I was slightly vibrating. It was a weird sensation - but not an unpleasant one. I felt like I could have gotten up and started my day after the first REM cycle if I wanted to.

I think how you are going to feel might have to do with how many toxins your body is holding onto and suddenly now able to get out during the night through the kidneys according to what I've read. People can hurt, have headaches, be achy etc. The only differences I've felt are thirst, more yellow pee and what's in the above paragraph. Maybe I don't have as many toxins because of my diet but I haven't felt anything negative at all - only positives as I perceive them. My feet if anything have been feeling better. They have been achy lately and now they are much less so.

Last night I didn't slip down the bed either - which was good. ;)  I think my body is already adapting.

Jessica - they say that you are supposed to do it slowly and gradually raising your bed up little by little. My husband is doing that but I went straight up to the top level the first night. I bet if you did it more slowly it wouldn't feel like when you're sleeping outside on a hill. I've done that too and it was really freaky. This doesn't feel so freaky - maybe because it's my own bed in my own room and so familiar all except that one thing?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 07:12:50 am »
I definitely feel warmer and require only a light sheet. I drink a lot more water during the day and weirdly enough I didn't get the usual sunburn on my first hot sunny day with my shirt off, despite going for a very long walk.

I don't wake up in the middle of the night for a whiz, even if I drink water before retiring, but by morning I make up for it.

Snoring has slowed down to a very quiet amount here and there, more like light breathing

I think I am still in the adjusting phase, (6") but I may try higher tonight.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:17 am »
Sounds like it's working for you Al!

I've noticed that I am having much larger bowel movements in the morning too. The first two days they were stinkier than normal.

I'm generally warmer. Not so sure how that's going to work out with the Texas summer coming!

If you came in to put my bed back to where it was now you would get a fight.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »
wow, if this works for snoring I'm in. So it's about 17,4 cm for a 200 cm length.

I would like a system that progressively elevates the bed using a lever or something. But let's see how it works first.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk