Author Topic: beef heart preparation ideas  (Read 4865 times)

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
beef heart preparation ideas
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:05:24 am »
I love my beef heart, but it's far too tough for me to eat raw.  I still slow cook it, which makes it tender and taste fine....but I wish it was raw.  I thought I might try grinding it up, or making it into a paste in the food processor...or??  Anyone have any other ideas?

Matt

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: beef heart preparation ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:12:41 am »
Get some very sharp scissors (Like Cutco scissors, very expensive, but very durable) or a good steak knife and cut it into small slivers.  Always works for me.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:11 pm »
really??  Beef heart is one of my staples and is always very tender. I tend to trim off the fat and either eat it separately or feed it to my dogs, but the actual muscle meat itself is very very tender.

Typically with mine I just cover it in coarsely cracked pepper, some times I add a bit of salt, it's also good with pesto, but really it is wonderful with just the pepper. Very tender mmMmm!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:54:18 pm by CitrusHigh »

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
I don't find beef heart to be tough. I think you're either trying to eat it with cutlery or you're very weak. Just use your hands to eat it.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:23:35 pm »
I had a challenge with the texture of animal foods, and my former strategy was to cook the heck out of everything. I had to identify textures and develop chewing strategies in order to eat raw meats.

In my case, I found that I used "tough" to mean several different things: gristly, rubbery, fatty, chunky, etc. My reflex action was to want to spit out the food. Then, I started reasoning through this reflex, and I was successful in learning a new way to chew each texture.

To me, heart is rubbery but penetrable, a medium-to-easy job for the molars. I've found lamb meat to be a good training ground for chewing different textures. I find lamb heart in halal markets.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:23:59 am »
i'll try it raw again.  Maybe I cut off a piece that was tougher for whatever reason

Matt

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:00:15 am »
heart seems to be the easiest organ for me to eat, taste wise, out of all the bison organs. i've only tried beef liver before.

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »
well, I did try it again...I threw it through the meat grinder and yumyum!

Matt

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:41 pm »
...I thought I might try grinding it up, or making it into a paste in the food processor...or??  ...

Good.  I mean, I've tried blending it and using a food processor, but with heart and liver there are strings/fibers/skin/veins and such in parts of them, and works only if you dice it carefully first.  I don't have a meat grinder, but sounds like it's made to grind meat!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:21:31 am »
I love raw beef heart. In fact, the fat on beef heart is my FAVORITE of any cut. I get big hearts from Whole Foods. I just set aside a time to cut it into bite size pieces. Then when I am ready to eat my one meal of the day, I weigh my portion, and I'm all set to eat the pieces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk