Author Topic: eating bones  (Read 3048 times)

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
eating bones
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »
Has anyone tried eating bones?  I don't mean the marrow, like actual bones....filing, crushing, or grinding down some bones, and sprinkling the result over your meal, or mixing it with some water and drinking it...or?

I couldn't find any info online about this....I'm unsure too if we humans could efficiently digest/process bones.  I was just thinking about this as a source of calcium/minerals.

Thoughts?

Matt

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: eating bones
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:22:19 am »
Here's a good thread on eating bones. Read the whole topic, lots of good discussion and how-to advice.

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/general-discussion/how-to-consume-bones/
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:04:59 am »
thanks!!

Offline Nora

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:20:34 am »
What an amazing synchronicity! I have been wondering just today about the very same thing. I searched online and only found info about dogs eating raw bones - nothing about people eating them. Thanks for starting this thread.
I've only been doing raw paleo for about 2 weeks, and I am not totally raw yet but moving in that direction. Bone broth has been an important part of my healing diet for the last 6 months or so and I do not want to give up the health benefits of the gelatin and collagen and such that one gets with bone broth, but boiling them for many hours no longer feels best to me. It would seem that raw bones would be a great alternative to cooked bone broths. I am thinking of getting some good grass fed bones with cartilage, fat, gristle and connective tissue and putting those parts in my Vitamix with a minimal amount of water and blending them up to drink. Maybe I should try oxtail this way. I have loved oxtail cooked, but do not want to cook it anymore.
Does anyone on this discussion board have opinions or thoughts/ideas about this. I'd love to have some input and guidance.
Eveheart, I will go check out the link you posted right now.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:35 pm »
You can get too much calcium that way, if you're not careful

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:44 am »
Humans were never adapted to eating raw bones, other than those tiny chicken bones and the like. I would suggest avoiding bones altogether.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk