Author Topic: What to do with Old Raw Milk?  (Read 7414 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
What to do with Old Raw Milk?
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »
So I have a couple half gallon bottles of raw milk that have been sitting in my fridge for a while, a few weeks probably, which have become too sour for me to drink so I haven't finished them off yet.. but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything I could do with them like making it into cheese instead?  or even butter or cottage cheese?  I tried looking up how to make homemade cheese, but it all calls for using fresh milk, and mine is old and already separated and stuff.  I'd love to turn them into some cheese, so that I could actually have some raw unsalted cheese at home that I could eat, but I don't know how.. any ideas?

Edit:  Oh and I also don't have any cheese cloth, don't know if we even have a strainer, if anyone has any alternative suggestions for that, or also what I could do with the whey after separating the curds from it to make cheese?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with Old Raw Milk?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
Add honey and drink it or throw it out
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:44 pm »
I would personally drink it. If the results are good, awesome. If not, don't ever do it again?

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:26 pm »
sour milk is considered more healthy because of reduced lactose due to fermentation.  if you don't mind the taste then go for it.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
Well I mean, I know it isn't bad to drink!  I know it's actually better for me now, and would really help with my digestion and all that, but the thing is that I can't stand that acrid sour taste enough to gulp it down.  And I really don't think adding honey to it would help enough, either.. that's why I'd rather turn it into raw cheese rather than waste it all!  especially since I love cheese and then I'd finally be able to have some completely salt-free cheese to eat.

Nobody knows how to make cheese from old milk?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »
throw it on your annoying neighbor

Offline andvanwyk

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:45:17 pm »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:26 am »
Here you go! http://thenourishingcook.com/2009/12/1-whey-cool/
Thanks andvanwyk,
We'll try that.
We try to get it just as it is turning and put some raw honey in it and make Kefir out of it as AV suggests. It generally works.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk