Author Topic: so glad this forum is here  (Read 12085 times)

Offline rawgypsy

• Forager
    • View Profile
so glad this forum is here
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:32:31 am »
Hi Everyone,
I am very new to the paleo aspect of raw, having been a mostly vegan raw foodist for over three years. I definitely need the support of people who aren't going to give me shit about my choice to put my health first. I began suffering from some scary symptoms after so many years without meat, and it seemed to accelerate after i removed products such as fortified breads and cereals--i suspect it was the complete lack of b-12 in my diet that caused me to feel as if my system was shutting down. I have been battling fatigue, dizziness, extreme head rushes, weird temperature fluctuations, brain fog, depression and other symptoms that seemed to come out of nowhere once i reached the tipping point. A year ago i felt fantastic on my green smoothie and cashew diet. I have learned a lot about not letting idealism or dogma dictate a way of life beyond its time. Things change, and i needed to make some extreme changes to better support my overall health.

So now i am not 100% raw (shooting for about 60-70%), and i include raw dairy, raw beef (especially liver) and eggs (not so into eating them raw but they go in to the smoothies sometimes). I feel much better in many ways, though i have put on 10+ pounds and i'm not happy about that after a great weight loss success on the raw vegan diet. I would appreciate advice on that, and also if you want to kick me in the ass and tell me i need to exercise more to help utilize the extra protein and fat i get from my new diet, go right ahead. The fatigue is something i'm still wrestling with so it's hard to get motivated to work out.

Anyway, i haven't filled out my profile yet but i will. I live in the Seattle area and have two kids, and what i do with my time is a long story. I'm glad to be here and learn from people more experienced than i am with eating raw meat. I just read about raw liver here to see how other people prepare it. I haven't been able to eat it fully raw yet, i am just searing it in garlic and butter. I guess it's better than not eating it at all, but i may try Weston Price's recommendation to cut it into little "pills" and swallow it. I do believe it is one of the things helping to rebuild my health.

Thanks for being here,
RawGypsy

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: so glad this forum is here
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:14:02 am »
Raw foods are  usually much less likely to lead to weight-gain. The one exception to that rule is raw dairy, which is reportedly a common weight-gainer among RVAFers. Call it intuition(based on my own experiences re raw dairy causing my pre-RPD CFS symptoms), but I suspect cutting out the raw dairy may well, over time, start solving your fatigue as well.

A few caveats:- Obviously do not eat around the clock like Aajonus recommends. Some of us go in for just 1 large raw meal a day, eaten within c. a 4 hour period, and that's it(though with plenty of raw animal fat, IMO). Eating all the time is a bad idea as digestion takes up a lot of the body's resources, and seems to slow down the healing-rate as a result.

Also, if you are in bad shape, it is usually recommended (by AV and others) for such people to go at least 85 percent raw in order to get the best out of a RVAF diet re speed of healing etc. That is not to say, you wouldn't heal on, say, a 50 percent raw diet, but it is quite possible that the recovery-rate would be somewhat  slower as a result. And there are likely problems re mixing raw and cooked foods together, given my own experience and others.  Perhaps at least having 2 separate meals a day, 1 fully raw and the other cooked, might be a better option?

Here is some info on how to get used to eating raw meats etc. :-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:40:15 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:31:42 am »
For me raw Dairy has been pivotal in muscle gain, fat gain and energy gain. Try it for a few weeks and see how you feel.

As far as meals go, I'm starting to lean more towards many small meals rather than 1 big one. Although I suggest you give both methods a try and see which one you like better.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:27 am »
Try mono meals / sequential eating. 
Do not blender or mix anything.
Eating raw meat and raw fat is easier than you think.
Especially when very hungry, like eating it at the end of the day.

Be ready to trust your instincts and change as you progress.

Go and experiment, record, see what works for you.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:12 am »
I have learned a lot about not letting idealism or dogma dictate a way of life beyond its time. Things change, and i needed to make some extreme changes to better support my overall health.
A great step towards gaining back your health is acknowledging this. You're on the right path now no matter where that leads you. :)

I definitely need the support of people who aren't going to give me shit about my choice to put my health first.
In my experience this is a good place for that support.

Welcome to the forum. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:48:25 am »
for those of u whole eat one meal a day, i am trying to do that but i need 2 i find for now. i have only been rawpaleo for 2some months though so maybe i am just weak and i will be able to in X amount of time...
The price is wrong Bob

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:26 am »
sounds good. I was on raw veg around the same time. I do believe that the cooking liver and so forth can at worst slow your healing, and can likely play a role in your turnaround for now.

for those of u whole eat one meal a day, i am trying to do that but i need 2 i find for now. i have only been rawpaleo for 2some months though so maybe i am just weak and i will be able to in X amount of time...

people have their own rationales, but that is basically a preference, or a tool rather than a sign of strength or weakness.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »
2 meals is fine. Everyone has to see what works for them.

In my own case, it took me quite a while to get to the 1 large meal a day phase. Before that, I had to eat some raw fruit in the mornings or at lunch-time, and then have another large raw meat meal in the evenings.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
For me raw Dairy has been pivotal in muscle gain, fat gain and energy gain. Try it for a few weeks and see how you feel.

You can be full of energy, gain muscle and fat on dairy, cooked food, coffee and anabolic steroids. That’s not the point of a raw paleo diet: the point is to maintain or regain long term health and to get definitely rid of disease and troubles. Suppressing dairy and grain has proved very effective in that aim.

Milk and dairy are plainly and clearly one of the main Neolithic food and there were still large populations (especially in Asia) in which dairy was still not consumed at all a few decades ago. Therefore it’s absolutely clear that dairy consumption has nothing to do with any paleo diet. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:22:40 pm »
You can be full of energy, gain muscle and fat on dairy, cooked food, coffee and anabolic steroids. That’s not the point of a raw paleo diet: the point is to maintain or regain long term health and to get definitely rid of disease and troubles. Suppressing dairy and grain has proved very effective in that aim.

Milk and dairy are plainly and clearly one of the main Neolithic food and there were still large populations (especially in Asia) in which dairy was still not consumed at all a few decades ago. Therefore it’s absolutely clear that dairy consumption has nothing to do with any paleo diet.  

FurTheHunt is sharing his experiences of both raw dairy and non-dairy approach to this diet, are you?

This is the Welcoming Committee forum for the entire site, not the instincto forum.

This website encompasses much beyond the eat-whatever-fruit-and-meat-diet-one-cares-for into actual tools for building health. Half the time (like when on PD forum re: water ) you've proved to have no knowledge or authority whatsoever and these kinds of HEALTH issues, but somehow seem to be the expert in nose poking and dogma as already been suggested. Ultimately no one can eat how our ancestors ate and one can argue every minutiae till we are just eating bugs that feed off ancient rock soil.

Everyone that finds this site, probably knows that dairy was not a huge part of a truly paleolithic diet however its highly debatable - even here- which foods/macro-nutrient ratios/and other dietary preferences are most beneficial or detrimental, so a diet that includes dairy products might be far more healthful that a variety of pure paleo approaches. Clearly many people here come from raw-vegan/frutarian approaches, so basically supplementing that diet with raw meats (which would be pure paleo) is not enough for just about everyone, yet many people thrive and heal off raw heavy dairy-fat diets. This awareness seems to be far more appropriate advice for this person than whether they should follow some version of the diet that someone else deems correct...which I think...was mentioned.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:34 pm »

FurTheHunt is sharing his experiences of both raw dairy and non-dairy approach to this diet, are you?

This is the Welcoming Committee forum for the entire site, not the instincto forum.

Sorry about that. Welcome to RawGypsy! But eeeuh… did I write here something specific to the instincto diet?  -\

This website encompasses much beyond the eat-whatever-fruit-and-meat-diet-one-cares-for into actual tools for building health. Half the time (like when on PD forum re: water ) you've proved to have no knowledge or authority whatsoever and these kinds of HEALTH issues, but somehow seem to be the expert in nose poking and dogma as already been suggested.

I do not pretend to have any authority nor any particular knowledge in health and nutrition field. But is it dogmatic to recall that dairy consumption is a Neolithic practice, not Paleolithic? Would you blame me of being dogmatic if I say that ice creams and chocolate were nonexistent in the Paleolithic era... or that “raw” means uncooked?

I entirely accept that everyone is absolutely free to eat bread, cheese and fried potatoes. But I disagree if such practice is called a “raw paleo diet”…   ;)

Ultimately no one can eat how our ancestors ate and one can argue every minutiae till we are just eating bugs that feed off ancient rock soil.

No, but I’ve had the idea that a rough approach excluding grain and dairy is usually considered more or less “paleo”.

Let’s go back to welcoming our new friend RawGypsy !

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

Sorry about that. Welcome to RawGypsy! But eeeuh… did I write here something specific to the instincto diet?  -\

I do not pretend to have any authority nor any particular knowledge in health and nutrition field. But is it dogmatic to recall that dairy consumption is a Neolithic practice, not Paleolithic? Would you blame me of being dogmatic if I say that ice creams and chocolate were nonexistent in the Paleolithic era... or that “raw” means uncooked?

I entirely accept that everyone is absolutely free to eat bread, cheese and fried potatoes. But I disagree if such practice is called a “raw paleo diet”…   ;)

yeah, the difference is, this is the welcoming forum, not the individual discussion based forums, so, given the context and the fact that you responded to someone purely sharing their experience, yes.

No, but I’ve had the idea that a rough approach excluding grain and dairy is usually considered more or less “paleo”.

and I would wager that as I already stated, that a diet that includes raw dairy products (particulary dairy fat) would be considered far more healthful to many members here (even those that might not even consume dairy) than many varieties of cooked or raw paleo foods, that eating any combination of foods under the paleo umbrella is not necessarily healthy, and that choosing an appropriate diet is a subjective preferences depending on ones goals.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:55:47 am »
yeah, the difference is, this is the welcoming forum, not the individual discussion based forums, so, given the context and the fact that you responded to someone purely sharing their experience, yes.

Yes? Yes to what? This is the welcoming forum (or rather the welcoming section), yes, and then there was some other subjects discussed by other contributors. Why couldn't I have my say as well?

and I would wager that as I already stated, that a diet that includes raw dairy products (particulary dairy fat) would be considered far more healthful to many members here (even those that might not even consume dairy) than many varieties of cooked or raw paleo foods, that eating any combination of foods under the paleo umbrella is not necessarily healthy, and that choosing an appropriate diet is a subjective preferences depending on ones goals.

On which criterion do you define what is healthy or unhealthy? Ok, you don't have to answer here, this is the welcoming section. Shall we open a new thread about that? Shall we split this thread?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:55 am »
yeah, I probably doubt that person is comming back now...

you asked two questions, the answer was yes. you get your say as long as you phrase it from your experience, and not constantly making casual opinions as if they were facts (which often turn out to be false) by inserting 'neolithic' into everything, Case in point this discussion, the marriage discussion and the water discussion on the primal forum that I already brought up. You wern't even aware that water was frowned upon on primal diet which was pretty much a pre-requisite for that discussion, and just cited the same redundant obvious 'facts' about cavemen and monkeys that people already know that actually do not prove crap bout the here and now. On top of that, in a welcoming type setting, there was no need to get on anyones case for sharing what they believed works, unless you knew for certain what they had to say was malicious in some way. Its absolutely impossible to form an argument other then your opinion re: the issues above and thankfully this website doesn't all share the same beliefs. If you really feel that strongly about the health created by your POV, simply sharing those advantages I think would be sufficient, unless there was an actual topic/breakdown comparing two things with one variable.

I have alot of criterion for being healthy, but I don't impose them on others. The major one I do respect or acknowledge is when one person says they are doing better on one thing over another thing they've actually gave their fair effort in trying. I usually don't respect much the ones who have a pretty narrow experience and are dismissive of things they've never done or even understand, particularly when they don't meet my original criteria. These would include high levels of fitness, body composition, excellent blood work from a medical and naturopathic professional, flexibility, spiritual poise, ability to thrive and have energy without food/water for extended periods, good results on extended basic vitals like used for law enforcement or military, cosmetic things like nails, skin, hair, teeth etc...

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 09:14:19 am »
You can be full of energy, gain muscle and fat on dairy, cooked food, coffee and anabolic steroids.

Yes, sure. I guess. Although you wont feel very good and your energy will crash.

I have stable, strong energy and I just feel great. And believe me, I'm very perceptive on what kind of foods cause me problems.

I personally don't think milk is neolithic at all. I think it depends on where you originate from. My forefathers have been drinking milk as far as the history books reach. Although I respect the fact that it's neolithic for other parts of the world, where the climate is hotter.

I come from herders, and herders drink milk.

So yeah, that's all I have to say on the matter. What usually annoys me on this forum is that people will say "Milk is bad. Don't try it." I encourage people to try a broad spectrum of foods and see what works for them. Not to just take peoples word for it.

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:22 am »
The trouble with the above notion is that it causes huge problems for a large number of people. Take my example:-  I bought into the whole Primal Diet thing, ages ago, and did it(minus the raw veggie-juice aspect) for 6 months. During those 6 months, I was lied to, again and again, by certain people, that it was supposedly impossible to have an allergy towards raw dairy, or that raw dairy allergies were almost nonexistent, or that all I needed to get rid of allergenic symptoms was to carry out various old wives' tales re drinking raw milk at room-temperature or mixing raw milk with raw honey or some similiar utter nonsense. If I had believed such lies, I would eventually have died sooner or later. Fortunately, after some pointless experimentation; I had the sense to ignore such lies and cut out all raw dairy and became healthy as a result. Yet, if, at the time,  I had received the anti-raw dairy advice found on this board, I would have saved myself 6 months of pure, unadulterated hell. Others had to go through years of hell before they eventually got wise to raw-dairy-issues.

Now, take the general stance of rawpaleoforum:- unlike foolish rawists in the past, such as some Primal Dieters from way back, who insisted that raw foods are generally always  fine as long as they are raw,we generally acknowledge that there are some potential problems faced by many newbies when starting RVAF diets. We mention the most common potential side-effects that can cause problems(such as raw dairy or raw eggs or raw veggie-juice etc.), thus sparing many people all sorts of potential problems. Now, granted, a minority of people can tolerate or even thrive on raw dairy, but, judging from some past accounts, even some of those only do well on moderate amounts of raw dairy and suffer greatly if they consume too much of it(re calcium:magnesium ratio issues) etc.). So, it makes perfect sense to recommend against raw dairy for newbies to RVAF diets. If, once they have gotten started with and fully used to  RVAF diets, they then wish to experiment with raw dairy to see if it works for them, that's fine, but, given so many people have dairy-related health-problems, it would be very, very foolish to recommend raw dairy from the start. After all, raw dairy is not essential to health whereas raw meat(and raw fruit for omnivores) are.

" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:01:15 am »
well, I don't know about others, but while I tend to find some of the disclaimers get a little old, I don't find them to be inappropriate. I don't think Igunna's point was at all a disclaimer that some folks don't do well on dairy, it basically was an outright slight against another persons WOE which one can easily see with the follow ups, and was particular poorly placed considering the initial post was hoping for some kind of refuge from dogmatic thinking, and had already been using dairy, not considering it. You suggesting the possibility of cutting down on fatigue or other symptoms by removing dairy isn't an/the issue IMO.

If, once they have gotten started with and fully used to  RVAF diets, they then wish to experiment with raw dairy to see if it works for them, that's fine, but, given so many people have dairy-related health-problems, it would be very, very foolish to recommend raw dairy from the start. After all, raw dairy is not essential to health whereas raw meat(and raw fruit for omnivores) are.

I think this is plenty fair to have a default 'paleo' stance on such things with an openness towards other possible strategies but many people might argue that last point. There are some people that are doing oddly well on raw dairy without any meat...and certainly much better than high fruit veg diets. There also are people doing far better on LC or VLC or ZC diets that include dairy and include little to no fruit as opposed to their experiences of more aggressive raw omnivory.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
What it all boils down to is figures and percentages. Far more people do badly on raw dairy than on other raw foods, so it makes more sense to advise against it. Sure, this might discriminate against the minority who do well on raw dairy without any issues whatsoever, but , in almost all cases, such people would do just as well on raw meats, say. Raw dairy simply isn't essential in anyway and I strongly suspect that very , very few indeed can tolerate the 100 percent raw milk diet. And, I should point out that RZers, according to the reports I've come across over the years anyway, are more often allergic to raw dairy than the raw omnivores I know.

As for Iguana's comments, they may well have arisen as a result of  his own negative experiences with raw dairy - after all, mine and FTH's dairy-related views are clearly heavily based on our own individual experiences.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:17 am »
yah, I think you misinterpreted what I said. I don't think its wrong per say to advise against raw dairy, its wrong to basically tell someone they are unhealthy because of some concept which isn't even proven or even agreed upon here - never mind the context of which I already said.

I wasn't talking about a raw milk diet, just raw veg people who moved form fruit heavy diets, to raw dairy heavy diets. I know a few people that have done shockingly well. Likely they will eventually start eating meat, but I think you are missing the point with ZCs etc..as i'm not trying to cite entire groups, just people that happen to largely prefer one diet to another, regardless of which foods are neolithic or paleolithic.

Offline rawgypsy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 02:16:00 pm »
Hey there,
sorry i disappeared...forgot to check back and see the replies until today, and thank you all for your advice and input. I will just ignore all the personal issues some of you have with each other and stick with the topics that are most useful to the community. The topic of raw dairy is of particular relevance for me right now. I started drinking raw milk a few months ago and feel that it was an integral part of regaining my health. However, i also believe it contributed in a major way to my weight gain. I was recently sick for over three weeks with what may have been walking Pneumonia, but i cured it without seeing a doctor because i trust that my immune system is strong. Three years on the raw diet made me super resilient, until it started chipping away at my B Vitamin and EFA resources. So anyway, i stopped all dairy for most of the time i was sick because i was having a lot of trouble with my lungs. I meant to order some last week for my kids but i forgot, so i've been without raw milk for about three weeks. My weight has stabilized--i'm not gaining any more--so now i am turning my attention to exercise. I wish to explore Acro Yoga as i'm already advanced in yoga and quite strong and flexible, i just need to lose some fat. Problem is, i love eating fat now! I think the milk is good for me in moderate doses but i used it primarily to rebuild and recover lost nutrients. I am not getting those head rushes/dizzy spells anymore so i must have done something right. My kids love raw milk so i'll still keep it around, but i don't think i am going to have it every day anymore.

I appreciate the recommendation to keep raw meals and cooked meals separate. I have been eating about half of my meat cooked (rare) and i usually eat it with sauerkraut. There are still some things i'm not sure about when it comes to eating raw meat, so i will look more deeply into those forums here. For example, a friend who is happy that i'm eating meat again recently brought me a whole lot of grass-fed tenderloin. Normally when i buy this for myself, i get the smallest piece they have, use half at a time to make Steak Tartare, and eat it all within 2 days. I had to freeze most of what he brought me as i can only handle about  4oz of raw meat at a time. Is it ok to thaw that meat out and eat it raw? What about frozen ground Buffalo? Ok to thaw and eat raw?

I will try to stay more active on this site. I spend a lot of time on Facebook and forget about all the other places i interact with people online. It's nice to see people from all over the world on here!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »
    Welcome RawGypsy, great to have you on the forum :)  Wishing you best of health!

not the point of a raw paleo diet: the point is to maintain or regain long term health and to get definitely rid of disease and troubles. Suppressing dairy and grain has proved very effective in that aim.

Milk and dairy are plainly and clearly one of the main Neolithic food and there were still large populations (especially in Asia) in which dairy was still not consumed at all a few decades ago. Therefore it’s absolutely clear that dairy consumption has nothing to do with any paleo

Good morning,  Iguana.  This one I'm not sure of your details or what I find in Google and makes sense to me:
Marco Polo reported, perhaps with some exaggeration, that a horseman could, by nourishing himself on his horse's blood, " ride quite ten days marches without eating any cooked food and without lighting a fire." And because its milk offered additional sustenance during extended military campaigns, a cavalryman usually preferred a mare as mount. The milk was often fermented to produce kumiss, or araq, a potent alcoholic drink liberally consumed by the Mongols. In short, as one commander stated. "If the horse dies, I die; if it lives, I survive."

Maybe Marco Polo was the one that brought the idea of dairy to Asia.  That would make it more that five hundred years ago. Still not paleo, but they might have had it longer.  I think I read that elsewhere several years ago, about them having it at the start of the Middles ages in Asia.

I know there are many accounts.  I researched it when I started eating the primal diet.
[Kumiss (fermented mare's milk, called cosmos by Rubruck).] This cosmos, which is mare's milk, is made in this wise. They stretch a long rope on the ground fixed to two stakes stuck in the ground, and to this rope they tie toward the third hour the colts of the mares they want to milk. Then the mothers stand near their foal, and allow themselves to be quietly milked; and if one be too wild, then a man takes the colt and brings it to her, allowing it to suck a little; then he takes it away and the milker takes its place. When they have got together a great quantity of 9 / 90 William of Rubruck - Mongols [1253-1255] milk, which is as sweet as cow's as long as it is fresh, they pour it into a big skin or bottle, and they set to churning it with a stick prepared for that purpose, and which is as big as a man's head at its lower extremity and hollowed out; and when they have beaten it sharply it begins to boil up like new wine and to sour or ferment, and they continue to churn it until they have extracted the butter. Then they taste it, and when it is mildly pungent, they drink it. It is pungent on the tongue like râpé wine [i.e., a wine of inferior quality] when drunk, and when a man has finished drinking, it leaves a taste of milk of almonds on the tongue, and it makes the inner man most joyful and also intoxicates weak heads, and greatly provokes urine.

I think kumiss might be a dairy version of a Middle Eastern dip called hummus.  They both are light colored, smooth, tart tasting, not fibrous, rich in calcium and can be filling to some extent for even non paleo foods.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:39:43 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »
Hey there,
sorry i disappeared...forgot to check back and see the replies until today, and thank you all for your advice and input. I will just ignore all the personal issues some of you have with each other and stick with the topics that are most useful to the community. The topic of raw dairy is of particular relevance for me right now. I started drinking raw milk a few months ago and feel that it was an integral part of regaining my health. However, i also believe it contributed in a major way to my weight gain. I was recently sick for over three weeks with what may have been walking Pneumonia, but i cured it without seeing a doctor because i trust that my immune system is strong. Three years on the raw diet made me super resilient, until it started chipping away at my B Vitamin and EFA resources. So anyway, i stopped all dairy for most of the time i was sick because i was having a lot of trouble with my lungs. I meant to order some last week for my kids but i forgot, so i've been without raw milk for about three weeks. My weight has stabilized--i'm not gaining any more--so now i am turning my attention to exercise. I wish to explore Acro Yoga as i'm already advanced in yoga and quite strong and flexible, i just need to lose some fat. Problem is, i love eating fat now! I think the milk is good for me in moderate doses but i used it primarily to rebuild and recover lost nutrients. I am not getting those head rushes/dizzy spells anymore so i must have done something right. My kids love raw milk so i'll still keep it around, but i don't think i am going to have it every day anymore.

I appreciate the recommendation to keep raw meals and cooked meals separate. I have been eating about half of my meat cooked (rare) and i usually eat it with sauerkraut. There are still some things i'm not sure about when it comes to eating raw meat, so i will look more deeply into those forums here. For example, a friend who is happy that i'm eating meat again recently brought me a whole lot of grass-fed tenderloin. Normally when i buy this for myself, i get the smallest piece they have, use half at a time to make Steak Tartare, and eat it all within 2 days. I had to freeze most of what he brought me as i can only handle about  4oz of raw meat at a time. Is it ok to thaw that meat out and eat it raw? What about frozen ground Buffalo? Ok to thaw and eat raw?

I will try to stay more active on this site. I spend a lot of time on Facebook and forget about all the other places i interact with people online. It's nice to see people from all over the world on here!

Freezing meat and then eating it raw is perfectly fine. It might not taste as good, though.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:32 am »
   Good morning,  Iguana.  This one I'm not sure of your details or what I find in Google and makes sense to me:
    Maybe Marco Polo was the one that brought the idea of dairy to Asia.  That would make it more that five hundred years ago. Still not paleo, but they might have had it longer.  I think I read that elsewhere several years ago, about them having it at the start of the Middles ages in Asia.

I know there are many accounts.  I researched it when I started eating the primal diet.
    I think kumiss might be a dairy version of a Middle Eastern dip called hummus.  They both are light colored, smooth, tart tasting, not fibrous, rich in calcium and can be filling to some extent for even non paleo foods.

Yes, I didn’t say that all Asian population still didn’t consume dairy a few decades ago. Mongols and others did it for centuries, as you mention. In general, northern populations used dairy early while southern populations did not until recently. If I had written “in SE Asia” it would have been more accurate.  For example, Japanese, Thais and Pacific Islanders didn’t consume dairy products to any significant extend until the end of WW II. Some Africans neither.

Cheers
Francois

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 06:07:45 am »
If dairy is a such a great food then why is there such a fairly large percentage of the population(world wide) lactose intolerent?
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline rawgypsy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 09:04:53 am »
my guess is that most of the people who are said to be lactose-intolerant have only tried pasteurized dairy, or, were introduced to cow's milk before their gut was properly colonized with healthy bacteria from extended breastfeeding. Most people i know who have told me they have trouble with dairy seem to tolerate raw milk just fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk