Author Topic: I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided I better join  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Afterall, I'm now on day 5 of RPD, shooting for ZC but not yet able to get there. My family (mom, dad, 1 brother) is super fruit/vege heavy with meat being one meal a day, cooked. All of us have ADHD and take adderall. I believe a correct diet can heal almost all ailments, or at least stop their progression. That's what I'm here to do. I thought I had a healthy diet because I was eating somewhat close to a cooked paleo diet, with the occasional grain. My family likes Dave's Killer Bread and with that around I sometimes would get weak and cave in and have a PB+J sammich. But after enough time I decided I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want off Adderall. I'm 23 years old and shouldn't feel this fatigued without a drug. Without it, I just wanted to nap all day. Same thing for my dad. He is a recovering coke addict of 30 years, clean and sober for almost 7, and he spent 3 years napping also.

In the last week I've eaten mostly grain-fed beef (I'm contacting local grass-fed farms daily and already have ordered suet), organic pastured eggs, and farmed steelhead (which I probably won't do again, I learned about the difference between wild and farmed after I bought it, whoops  -[ )

A few questions now: first off, I've been eating for about 6 full days raw fat/meat. I only add pink himalayan salt every now and then. I haven't pooped more than about 3 nuggets, and not even all in the same day. I don't feel bloated really, but I can't see how no BM is healthy. Help?

I tried making high meat the "speedy" way, put it outside in warm weather with pantyhose over the top. I used the grain-fed garbage that has been frozen since jan. I let it sit 24 hours, and I moved it about 3 times yesterday and figured I'd sample some last night after a few drinks. I woke up at 5 AM today and puked  -v but not like that dude. It was yellow bile but not more than a tsp. full, if even. It was mostly dry heaves, but once I got a little of that bile out, I was fine and went back to sleep. Was it the alcohol+high meat? Or did I possibly not turn the high meat enough? Or is it too low quality to be used as high meat? Any other thoughts?

Does sauna help at all with making the keto adaptation?

Has anybody had any experience with an ADHD person on here and they get off meds while on RPD? Seems to me like that's very possible, since energy, motivation, clarity, focus, attention are all my trouble areas that were not helped by going heavier vege/fruit (including learning and taking many different herbs). I just hit a point where I thought "how could God create a system where we are expected to eat this big of a combo of veges and herbs just to feel normal, not to mention fruits that only come around once a year?" My pops is a fruit grower by the way; apples, cherries, and pears. But it makes sense to me that to feel good we eat what we can for year round sustainability: wild animals.

Thanks for the help, everybody seems really nice here as I've been lurking, glad to be here. By the way, in the last week I've gone from about 20-25 mg a day to <15 mg of adderall, while feeling the same or better. I think this is gonna work.

Dustin
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided I better join
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:16 am »
For ADHD you don't want to overdo the fruit.  Also, you should really avoid the grainfed beef. Get wild-caught seafood or grassfed beef. White Oak Pastures is a good place online to get grassfed beef, if you don't have a local supplier. Where do you live?

As far as low-carb goes, I wouldn't rush into it.  If it's working for you, fine. If you start to develop symptoms like racing heartbeat, anxiety, low energy, etc., then add some fruit back in.  Not a lot, just 1-3 fruits a day.  Make sure you drink a LOT of water if you're doing low-carb.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:34:14 am »
dude sauna is awesome.  just be sure that you are drinking water with a ton of electrolytes.  ketogenic diets will deplete your electrolytes and people do then to lose quite a bit of water weight initially, so if you do sauna it will be extra important to insure you are properly hydrated before, during and after. 

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:20 am »
CK: I'm in WA,  about 3.5 hours east of Seattle. I have been emailing farms nearby like crazy looking for grass-fed beef in stock. Although not ideal, I should see an improvement with frozen grass-fed beef right? As opposed to completely fresh. I may just stick to eggs today since they are at least pastured/organic and oh-so-tasty compared to hormone/anti-biotic whatever garbage is in there. And for fish, about all I can get is wild-caught frozen from stores. We are too far for fresh caught that day. Though I live walking distance from the Columbia River, which has a nice supply of trout and walleye, as well as "triploid" which I would rather avoid, it's some trout human manifested deal :http://www.northwesttrout.com/NewsItems/triploid.htm

"How do you stop highly mobile hatchery rainbows from spawning with wild, native cutthroat? It turns out there is a way, but the process is a complex one. When trout spawn, the female’s eggs possess two sets of chromosomes and the male’s sperm possess one set. After the eggs are fertilized, the chromosomes recombine and each egg inherits one set of chromosomes from the female and another set from the male — similar to humans. The third set is then kicked out of the egg. Rarely in the wild, an egg will “forget” to kick out the third set and the fish becomes what is known as a triploid (possessing three sets of chromosomes). Triploid fish look, swim, jump, and taste like normal fish, except for one important difference—they never develop normal eggs or sperm and are unable to reproduce (i.e., they are sterile).

Through experimentation with this natural process, researchers found that they could create triploid trout both by exposing trout eggs to pressure and by placing trout eggs in a warm water bath shortly after fertilization. Both processes inhibit a trout egg’s ability to kick out that third set of chromosomes and voila, a triploid fish is born."

Idk if those are good to eat or if something may be... off. They aren't terribly difficult to catch. A few hours on a good day and we have one. Any thoughts?

I really do want to move into other meats too: lamb, goat, bison, so on. It's just finding them is difficult and ordering from whiteoak costs $250 for shipping a 60 lb box!!! It only costs me $50 to drive to seattle and back.

After puking early this morning I still haven't eaten, which is weird cause I usually like breakfast, but I'm kinda tired and exhausted, probably detox symptoms. I may have a bunch of eggs for lunch.

Jessica: how do I get "healthy" electrolytes into my water? The only way I know is just adding pure white granulated sugar, ick.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:38:42 am »
you might be close to these sources. http://sixriversmarket.com/
ive had cascade creek farm meat, its excellent, there are also some great yak farms up here.
pilgrams market in CDA has an excellent meat department.  if you call down to the Moscow food co-op and talk to the meat guys ask them when they get in any fresh grass fed beef, they don't freeze it.

have you tried eat wild.com

there are no electrolytes in table sugar, only carbohydrates

electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium

if you are going low carb you are probably feeling nauseous because you are lacking water and electrolytes, its common

go to the store and buy some sea salt, some lite salt(its potassium chloride generally) some granulated kelp, some magnesium gluconate and mix them into water to create a salty electrolyte mix.  you can also sip on some broth(if you buy store bought make sure its organic and not low sodium) although you will still need to get the other minerals besides sodium.

please be sure to read up on low/zero carb diets and transitioning, a great resource is marksdailyapple.com, he has some great articles and just disregard that the meats/eggs/offal is cooked

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:10:25 am »
Freshwater fish are lower in nutrients than saltwater fish. Frozen grassfed beef is better than grainfed beef.

As far as seafood goes, could you could make a trip every two or three weeks to Seattle, and get enough to last several weeks?

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:59:50 am »
Six rivers is about 3.5 hours away also, but worth checking into. I'll pick that stuff up ASAP, thanks.

Making a trip  to Seattle would definitely be the best way to do it, since they get fresh daily. How much of an issue is it to buy it for two months worth and then freeze it? Do I really lose that much? I'll keep searching and see if I can have stuff delivered for not much.

Do you guys ever budget out your food? As in: staple foods- 20 lbs a month, sea fish-5 lbs/mo., shellfish-5 lbs/mo, and so on and then decide how much you can spend on each?
-Dustin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:20:40 am »

Making a trip  to Seattle would definitely be the best way to do it, since they get fresh daily. How much of an issue is it to buy it for two months worth and then freeze it? Do I really lose that much? I'll keep searching and see if I can have stuff delivered for not much.

Do you guys ever budget out your food? As in: staple foods- 20 lbs a month, sea fish-5 lbs/mo., shellfish-5 lbs/mo, and so on and then decide how much you can spend on each?

Fattier fish survive freezing better than lean fish. For me personally, I try to avoid frozen fish, and I can buy never-frozen fish every week from a vendor that drives a truck to the coast every week.

Budget-wise, I spend about $130-150 a week on food for myself.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:53:55 am »
Welcome.

I find grassfed beef in supermarkets with full-service meat departments. My favorite cut is the whole eye of round, which runs 5 - 6 pounds. I get it untrimmed, hang it in the refrigerator on a stainless steel hook. I take slices off the end every day. [Okay, I realize that you probably have other household members using the same fridge. :) But this is a good way to minimize cost. (I pay $5.99/pound in the San Francisco bay area.)]

A good mail order company is North Star Bison. Their shipping to the west coast runs about $30 per order. Look at their website, they have lots more than just bison. I get one order every 4 - 6 weeks from them, including lamb liver, bone marrow, and other organ meats. For what I pay extra, I am saved the hassle of competing with other grassfed shoppers at the supermarket.

As Jessica said, check eatwild.com for listings of grassfed ranches in your area. That's how I started figuring out where to buy grassfed meats. Grainfed ruminant animals are not healthy - grain messes with their stomach acids, which are intended for a variety of grasses. The wrong bacteria can grow in a grain fed animal, leading to lethal food poisoning. Lethal, as in antibiotic resistant.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:05 am »
I get it untrimmed, hang it in the refrigerator on a stainless steel hook. I take slices off the end every day.

I've actually started doing something similar. I put the chuck roast to defrost without the plastic on a plate in the fridge. And ever day I cut off just what I need for the day.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »
I used to do saunas a lot until I read it really lowers your testosterone and takes a while to get back to normal levels.

apparently even one session significantly lowers it.

I hear conflicting evidence though and would love it if it wasnt true sinceI really enjoyed saunas.
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »
lowers your testosterone and takes a while to get back to normal levels.

apparently even one session significantly lowers it.

:o hmm I don't know. It somewhat makes sense because I read Tim Ferris' four hour body and he talked about doing cold showers to raise testosterone, so in some way the opposite may have the opposite effect: heat lowers T. I do know when I force myself through a cold shower by the end I feel godlike and the more I sauna the worse I seem to feel. I think the reason us crazy Swedes (I'm a Swede, it's okay to complain about them) used sauna was because it was already -20 outside so it was easy to cool off afterwards and have to push yourself through cold anyways. Most of us live in more temperate regions (at least I do) and forcing our self through cold is more of a rarity, kind of like "balancing your diet," but balancing your temperature exposure to increase tolerance. Just a theory.
-Dustin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:09 pm »
:o hmm I don't know. It somewhat makes sense because I read Tim Ferris' four hour body and he talked about doing cold showers to raise testosterone, so in some way the opposite may have the opposite effect: heat lowers T. I do know when I force myself through a cold shower by the end I feel godlike and the more I sauna the worse I seem to feel. I think the reason us crazy Swedes (I'm a Swede, it's okay to complain about them) used sauna was because it was already -20 outside so it was easy to cool off afterwards and have to push yourself through cold anyways. Most of us live in more temperate regions (at least I do) and forcing our self through cold is more of a rarity, kind of like "balancing your diet," but balancing your temperature exposure to increase tolerance. Just a theory.

Yes I definitly feel like I have more testosterone after a cold shower. I wonder if doing super cold would counteract the effects of you just hacving done super.

Maybe not though because it takes a while to get back to normal.

Id always feel extremely relaxed after a sauna, not pumped and ready to go like testosterone makes me feel.
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 01:13:01 pm »
I think cold therapy is the same as anything in life: Minimal effective dose. The M.E.D is defined as the lowest point to which one can get a response: water boils at 100 C. 105C is not "more boiling" its just wasting energy. That's not to say you cant melt an ice cube in 80C water, but its at optimal effectiveness at 100C (this may be a poor example for going past the limit so ill try another, one within biology)

Sun tanning: you only need sun for 15 min to get a melatonin response, less will get you tan, but more can burn you. so you may go one shade at 5 min, but 15 min can get you 3 shades, but not burn you so you can go again the next day, and gain another 3 shades. Whereas someone that goes for burnt, has to wait 3-4 days before going again, and you have the advantage of being way darker from not pushing it too far.

Muscle growth: muscles can only grow so much at a time (not including anabolics) by working too hard you are only breaking down the muscle and needing to wait for it to heal before going again. The response is what youre after.

Cold therapy: its my understanding optimal M.E.D. is just about 10 min of shivering. Any more and your body is using too much energy to heat up, any less you dont get the full T release that you could get. I think the best way to accomplish this is ice baths. 10 min up to your legs, 5 min up to ribcage, another 5 just above nipples. I think you dont want to go up to your neck because that can be dangerous. Maybe you can pass out or something. Never tried it myself but it sounds.... rough. haha
-Dustin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »
I used get sunburned after 5 minutes before I went raw. Now I can be out in brutal sun for hours and not get burnt.
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:58 pm »
you can always mix sauna with cold therapy, just make sure you hop out of the sauna and get into some cool water, make sure you get the feet, hands, up to the elbow and knee joints and towards the core.  always end a sauna session by being in cool water until it no longer feels cool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk