Author Topic: Macadamia nuts  (Read 47801 times)

Offline Taste Sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Macadamia nuts
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:34:44 am »
Are they paleo? Due to yesterday's slankers raw ground meat consumption, I couldn't' eat anymore meat today. So I went out and got some macadamia nuts instead. After consuming half the bag (about 6 oz) I did not get a sense of fullness - I could of eaten more. I did enjoy them and even sprinkled some Celtic sea salt on top. So I don't know if they're ok on this diet or out. What is it with eating more nuts than I originally intended? I thought that with high fat content of macadamia nuts I would reach satiety sooner, but I was wrong. Once I cracked one there was no stopping me. Or is is their carb content that was so addicting? Any one can relate?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Macadamia nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:36:36 am »
    Nuts and grains make me over eat, and I'm never satisfied anyway.  I think it's the type of protein.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:03:01 am »
Were they salted or unsalted? I am ZC and don't eat nuts now, but I have read from others who consume nuts on paleo or regular WOEs that they can and will eat more salted nuts than unsalted. For me, I was more satisfied on raw unsalted nuts before I went ZC.

Offline Taste Sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:13:50 am »
Hey Kate,

They were unsalted. The reason being that I don't use any salt other than Celtic. I tried the nuts both ways, with and without. The latter one turned out better tasting. However, I don't know if even Celtic salt is fine long term, since I don't think paleo man could find it, nor have had an idea about adding it to food. Also I am fearful about kidney stones and dehydration from salt. To top it off both the Bear and AV give any salt big thumb down. But yea salt is addicting and makes one overeat, so that could be another culprit.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »
IMO, cut out all salt. As a long_term RPDer, I've noticed that salt increasingly has a negative reaction re my health when I eat it in large amounts.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:27:50 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:59:30 pm »
Nuts are high in phosphorous, anti-nutrients (phytic acid) and often have high PUFAs, although macadamia nuts are the exception with low-PUFA, high MUFA, so they're the best choice.

Long soaking (24 hours) makes the nut easier on the body, but there's still plenty of anti-nutrients to tax the system!

Unshelled nuts are also less rancid than shelled.

My teeth and skin health have suffered on account of high nut consumption over a couple of years before RAF.

Macadamias are great for avoiding the n-3/n-6 PUFAs, if you're trying to re-balance your fatty acid profile and reduce inflammatory tissue.
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

William

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:50 am »
If you overdo the meat, best to eat more fat instead of plant source stuff.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:42:43 am »
being  a raw vegan for sometimes of my life, i consumed tons of best quality nuts and didn't get any benefit out of that.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Taste Sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:15:05 pm »
Nuts are high in phosphorous, anti-nutrients (phytic acid) and often have high PUFAs, although macadamia nuts are the exception with low-PUFA, high MUFA, so they're the best choice. Long soaking (24 hours) makes the nut easier on the body, but there's still plenty of anti-nutrients to tax the system!
Yea I am aware about the nut trouble. The fact that you have to soak them is a proof right there that they're unfit for human consumption. A peleo human certainly would not have had a clue about soaking, hence taxing the system to its limit, which is no good. In fact she would probably be better off without finding that tree since she might of found nuts tasty and indulged in them until there was none left. It is common sense that nuts are highly allergic for some people. I however, never had a problem, which does not exclude me from the possibility that I was negatively affected. As for the taste, macs are my favorite, followed by pistachios and almonds. Lately I observed that I can overeat them and still feel unsatisfied. I think it's unnatural to eat so much anyway. And my stool sample showed undigested particles, thus confirming bad digestion.

If you overdo the meat, best to eat more fat instead of plant source stuff.
You're probably right, but for now I going to continue to experiment with plants to see which ones (if any) to include in my diet. O carb I think cleaned me up and now I am more sensitive to everything that comes my way.

being  a raw vegan for sometimes of my life, i consumed tons of best quality nuts and didn't get any benefit out of that.
A wrap up, nuts are on my survival menu.  :D

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:57:36 am »
Nuts are a source of free radicals, especially shelled nuts, so definitely eat them very sparingly. Furthermore, for their energy density, they do not provide many minerals due to binding by phytates - hence they are anti-mineralising.

I blame reliance on nuts as the reason for tooth enamel/bone destruction, especially in my case - nuts should not be in the diet when there's sufficient nutrients/energy from more appropriate food, like meat/organs/fat and moderate fruit. Of course, you could consider a Nourishing Traditions style approach, which is less akin to our early ancestry.

I've finally started to give up nuts and I know well the lack of satiety from eating nuts, especially when not pre-soaked.
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:17:10 am »

What do you think about the Aajonus nut formula vs soaking them?

Some say that if you soak a nut than it's not a nut anymore.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:24 pm »

AV's nut formula consists  of smothering the nuts in vast amounts of raw dairy. Total waste of time, doesn't work, and the extra raw dairy is harmful too. Soaking the nuts reduces antinutrients as , I think, it gets them to start germinating(?)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 07:00:31 am »
Soaking the nuts reduces antinutrients as , I think, it gets them to start germinating(?)
Tyler that is sort of what happens. Nuts and seeds are in a dormant state and remain so using enzyme inhibitors. The nut/seed knows when to come out of dormancy when there is adaquate amounts of water to grow. When there is, it releases the enzyme inhibitors/deactivates them and starts to sprout. However some of them like walnuts won't sprout if they are shelled.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:21 pm »

It's a nut sprout.  Does he say you can't soak them?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 05:17:19 am »
Tyler that is sort of what happens. Nuts and seeds are in a dormant state and remain so using enzyme inhibitors. The nut/seed knows when to come out of dormancy when there is adaquate amounts of water to grow. When there is, it releases the enzyme inhibitors/deactivates them and starts to sprout. However some of them like walnuts won't sprout if they are shelled.
Does this follow true for soaking various things such as chick peas? I had always heard that as soon as they start to sprout they are at their nutritional best. Once the sprout is 1/8 " long.
Cheers
Al

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »
Hm ... i also tend to BINGE on nuts.  I always thought it was just the taste.

What about seeds - same problem ?

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »
If you stick to pistachios,macadamias and pine nuts,you should be cool.Those three don't need to be soaked.
The other nuts,usually with a brown skin covering,like almonds are a bitch.They have to be soaked and then they dont even taste good anymore.You wind up spending more energy preparing and "digesting" than what you get in return.Not worth it.
Cashews taste great but they usually have a toxin on them(do the research) and they will reak havoc on your system.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »
If you stick to pistachios,macadamias and pine nuts,you should be cool.Those three don't need to be soaked.
The other nuts,usually with a brown skin covering,like almonds are a bitch.They have to be soaked and then they dont even taste good anymore.You wind up spending more energy preparing and "digesting" than what you get in return.Not worth it.
Cashews taste great but they usually have a toxin on them(do the research) and they will reak havoc on your system.

now that i think of it indeed macadamias always go down smooth on me while almonds give me stomach pain.

what do you think about walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts ?

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »
Neurosport: the three you mentioned(walnuts,pecans & hazelnuts) all have a brown skin/covering.Avoid them,they will haunt you.Stick to the best: Macadamias,pistachios and pine nuts.raw organic,of course,is ideal.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:36 pm »
You got to be rich man if you want to binge on those...

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 06:38:38 pm »
Stick to the best: Macadamias,pistachios and pine nuts.raw organic,of course,is ideal.
Do you shell those pine nuts from a pinecone yourself King Salmon? If not I can guarantee, with almost 100% certainty, that they're heated. It's a hell of a lot easier to heat up the cone so it opens then shake the pine nuts loose than it is to get them out raw.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline NEUROSPORT

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 09:36:27 pm »
Neurosport: the three you mentioned(walnuts,pecans & hazelnuts) all have a brown skin/covering.Avoid them,they will haunt you.Stick to the best: Macadamias,pistachios and pine nuts.raw organic,of course,is ideal.

i don't think i have tried pistachios.  i should give them a try.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 02:19:34 am »
  djr, check out these guys and let me know what you think:                     

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/organic-raw-pine-nuts-1-lb.html

As for me,I haven't eaten pine nuts for a while.My thing is pistachios now.I eat 'em with different varieties of raw organic raisins.I put 'em in a container and much on 'em all day long until I get to my seafood meal or egg smoothie.
Pine nuts are a little "sharp" tasting while pistachios are more mellow.Macadamias are somewhere in between as far as taste and texture.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 05:15:11 am »
Do you shell those pine nuts from a pinecone yourself King Salmon? If not I can guarantee, with almost 100% certainty, that they're heated. It's a hell of a lot easier to heat up the cone so it opens then shake the pine nuts loose than it is to get them out raw.

yes, they are steamed.  i stopped eating these long ago, but never found a truly raw source.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 06:13:18 am »
  djr, check out these guys and let me know what you think:                     

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/organic-raw-pine-nuts-1-lb.html
It's left vague as to the harvesting method so I personally still wouldn't trust them until I spoke directly with them. "Raw" is also a fairly ambiguous term nowadays in regards to the final temperature the food attains. I feel comfortable if the heat peaks around 104*F but a lot of these vendors will push things into the 130's or 140's.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk