Author Topic: What is the china study and what is so flawed about it?  (Read 7926 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
What is the china study and what is so flawed about it?
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
Can someone fill me in on what the china study is and why its so flawed. All I know about it is that it is well...flawed.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: What is the china study and what is so flawed about it?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
I don't think it's the China study that is so flawed, but rather the book "The China Study" as it does not accurately represent the results of the real study but is rather vegan propaganda.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:54 am »
Well, I think the most obvious flaw is that it bases its conclusions on the increased meat consumption of a culture without actually taking into account the additional factors of other harmful modern dietary changes and lifestyle factors, and the fact that many other civilizations have eaten largely animal based diets without such issues of disease and degeneration. For raw paleos, its easy to dismiss the fallacy of such things, but even from the cooked paleo or low carb perspective, there is a difference eating an animal based diet that excludes modern foods and cooked grains and starches, and even a traditional diet that increases its consumption of factory meats and refined starches and chemicals. I think there was a more recent post-book argument where Campbell was trying to say grass-fed would have played no difference, or that most folks in the study were eating grass-fed or some nonsense. Not to mention that the cultures did not consume a 100% plant based diet, or near one, so I think the only fairly reasonable conclusion is those eating a largely carbohydrate diet, should not drastically increase their cooked meat consumption without addressing their starch and sugar diet. I think there are various debates between Mercola/Cordain and Campbell on the web.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:01:37 am »
And here's the Cordain-Campbell debate where Cordain just rips Campbell's points to shreds:

protein-debate-cordain-campbell.pdf

Campbell doesn't even bother to support his arguments with much more than his own say-so, as if he were the high priest of nutrition. It's shocking how unscientific Campbell's contribution to the debate was, and stupefying how blinded by their own propaganda the vegans/vegetarians who think Campbell did well must be. Talk about cognitive dissonance!
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:26:40 pm »
Thanks everyone
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:11:49 am »
I gave the wrong address for the pdf of the debate. Here it is:

http://crossfitbirmingham.ning.com/forum/attachment/download?id=1972595%3AUploadedFi58%3A26057
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Enigma

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:53 am »
I've discussed this very topic another forum. Raw Natural Hygiene.... http://rawnaturalhygiene.ning.com/forum/topics/whos-read-the-china-study?commentId=3664538%3AComment%3A7968

In case the link does not work... excerpt to follow bellow:

"I have the book, too. As amazing as it is... a lot of aspects have been overlooked and unfortunately has lead to some very poor conclusions to be made.

Today's traditional corn, grain and soy-fed animals will cause anyone cancer if consumed. Absolutely. But what of naturally raised meats? Grass-Fed animals! Where is the China Study involving meat proteins the way meat proteins were designed to be? http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

And what of the dairy proteins? The casein and whey that were used were overly-processed by-products of a whole food. What about giving the rats whole, raw milk? That would be a truer test. To homogenize milk is to alter the cellular structure of the proteins, indefinitely.

Homogenization
Homogeniztion is a high-speed and high-powered "mixing and straining" process, originated to keep the butterfat from rising to the top of the milk. During homogenization, the fat globules in the milk are reduced in size and encapsulated into liposomes, which pass through the stomach undigested, (the liposomes are protected from the digestive acids.) Because of the tiny size of the fat globules after the milk has been homogenized, the liposomes are then able to pass into the bloodstream through the walls of the intestines, and this is where the damage occurs. The liposomes contain a partially destroyed enzyme called xanthine oxidase, better known as XO. XO is only found in the liver, unless a person drinks homogenized milk. Then it is found in the liposomes that enter the bloodstream, where it begins to attack plasmalogen. (Plasmalogen makes up 30% of the membrane system in human heart muscle cells.) XO can only either use the plasmalogen, or destroy it, and in most autopsies of people who have died from heart and circulatory disease - plasmalogen is missing, arterial inner linings are eaten away, and mineral deposits covered in fat and cholesterol create a deadly plaque in the arteries. The addition of The addition of Vitamin D in the milk actually enhances the activity of XO.

Pasteurization

Pasteurization was introduced for the purpose of killing tuberculosis in milk, but has continued for just two reasons: It allows the farmers to lower their cleanliness standards since heating the milk kills bacteria caused by contamination, and it extends the shelf life of the milk from less than five days to about two weeks. So in other words, for convenience and not health. The process actually destroys enzymes in the milk, such as lactase (needed by the body for assimilation of lacose), galactase (needed to assimilate galactose), and phosphatase (needed for the assimilation of calcium.) Many more equally important enzymes are also destroyed in the process, making milk even harder for the human body to digest, putting more stress on other organs in the body. Pasteurizing milk destroys not only enzymes, but kills the beneficial bacteria lactobacillus acidophilus, Vitamin A, Vitamin B complex, and Vitamin C. Pasteurized milk fed to baby calves will cause them to die within just a few months, which has been researched many times.
http://www.dairytechinc.com/dairytech_research.php

Whether you believe we should or should not consume animal-based proteins does not deter from the fact that the study is lacking in detrimental variables.

Just as well, I would love to see this study conducted on actual PEOPLE rather than lab rats... whose physiological and cellular structure vastly differs from our own. What may or may not be toxic and promote cancerous growth in a rat... could be the complete opposite in a live, healthy, human body. Last I checked, I stood more than 1 inch from the ground and didn't have a tail.

Henceforth; I greatly enjoyed reading The China Study. But the details that were overlooked leads me to great disappointment. I would love to see a more precise study conducted in the near future. Consisting of real, natural proteins. Nothing processed.

For me, this study proves that bodybuilder's have it all wrong... nobody should consume cooked, homogenized, processed and dehydrated dairy products or traditionally grain-fattened animals."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:12:12 am by Enigma »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk