Author Topic: salmon tapeworms?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
salmon tapeworms?
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »
So I was reading about salmon tapeworms, and how they can cause vitamin b12 deficiency because they can eat 80-100% of the b-12 the human host consumes.

if this is true, how can this parasite be beneficial? seems like it could have disastrous consequences even for an extremely healthy person.

thoughts?

Bobby

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: salmon tapeworms?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:15:25 pm »
First I dont believe every parasite on this earth has health benefits...other wise they wouldn't truly be parasites. Anyway the generall theory around here seems to be that tapeworms really only eat the "junk food" that we consume. SADers are top on the list for junk food eaters so it really should only negatively effect them. Not to mention that our bodies should have a strong enough immune system from raw paleo to defend against any real negative results.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:40:25 pm »
Ya, but what about that line I read on google on more than one website that fish tapeworm eats "80-100% of vitamin b-12 that human host consumes"?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:23:56 pm »
...Back to "junk food". Tape worms eat dead matter. That's why we believe that it may be beneficial to us raw paleos. It eats all of our dead matter and leaves only living healthy cells. When we eat cooked meat which is where most of SAD b12 comes from the tapeworm sees dead matter (cooked meat) and feasts. If the meat is still enzymatically alive then it wont eat the meat.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:12:07 am »
Can parasites also eat living tissue? Let's say there isn't enough dead matter to feed the tapeworm. Wouldn't it then move to living tissue to sustain itself at that point?

Similarly, will vultures eat living food if they can't find any dead carcasses?

How about malaria? Would a raw paleo eater not be affected by malaria? How can this be possible?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:40 am »
The truth is Im not completely sure as I have not had a tapeworm. But from what ive read no it shouldn't eat live matter. I think of them like maggots. If you put maggots on a burn victim they will only eat the dead skin and won't touch any living tissue.

Yes vultures will eat living animals but only if they are weak/injured or newborn. However vultures are not parasites.

As far as I know we haven't tested malaria and a raw paleo diet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk