Author Topic: Unusual wrangham question  (Read 3668 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Unusual wrangham question
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:55:29 am »
As some of you know, I also answer raw-meat-diet-related questions on www.allexperts.com Well, today, i received an unusual "question" from the publicity people behind Wrangham. Here it is, and I'd like members' opinions as to what I should do:-

"There is a question waiting for you in the category of "Special Diets". Subject: Wrangham/CATCHING FIRE Question: Dear RawPalaeoGuy,   I'm the publicist for Richard Wrangham and his book coming out with us in June, CATCHING FIRE: How Cooking Made Us Human. I know his research is something you may contest, but we are all in favor of open debate on his theories and would like to send you a copy when it's out in May if it's something you would consider reading and reacting to on your blog. Hope you'll let me know if that interests you and if so, to where I may send you a copy. Thank you,   Claudia Dizenzo Publicity Manager Basic Books /claudia.dizenzo@perseusbooks.com"

Now, I'm perfectly aware of the adage "even bad publicity is good publicity", so I'm very wary. Up till now, given that Wrangham's notions have been widely dismissed as "fringe" "crackpot" etc by most mainstream scientists, my anti-Wrangham debunking may inadvertently have benefitted Wrangham by getting more (gullible) people to read his book. Anyway, what do you all think?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

Re: Unusual wrangham question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:28 am »
Take the book.  It may add fuel to your "debunk" fire!  Send it to me when you've finished it.  ;)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:42 am »
Tyler,
By all means take the book, read it, and give a fair review from your perspective.  I read all kinds of things that I disagree with, but worse than disagreement is a closed mind.  There is often a gem of insight buried in the rubbish that will help clarify your own beliefs, or help you present your arguments in a more persuasive manner.

You gain something of value either way,

Lex

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:02:06 am »
Take the book.  Send us copies too so we can read it as well.  Always curious at what others have to say.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:36 pm »
Well, I suppose I'll take the book. I will only mention it, though, if it has some new material that's not already appeared in his previous texts. Otherwise there's no point if it's just a rehashing of previous theories.

I'm not bothered with the idea of Wrangham's views themselves as they are so ludicrous. What annoys me is the thought that Wrangham might benefit financially from people buying his book as a result of better promotion of it by me and others. I mean the whole point of rawpaleodiet.com and the 2 groups  is that they're supposed not to advertise anything or benefit anyone financially.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:06:03 am »
I wouldn't care if someone like that made a buck or two off of your review of his book. It's not like Walmart is making money off of you. In the grand scheme of things someone like Wrangham is way closer in views to us than to most people there's no point in completely shunning ideas and concepts from him. But if you really don't like the idea of your ideas and statements being used by others than don't do it, because if a publicist contacted you than as you already stated you know it's going to be used for publicity purposes and something you say about it may even be spun to make it sound better for the book in some online review.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk