Author Topic: Reishi Mushrooms  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Reishi Mushrooms
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:25 pm »
Anyone eat them? If so, can you just eat them whole as I don't believe in taking the pill version.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Reishi Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »
Mushrooms aren't ideal,IMO. Many have too many antinutrients in them. Indeed, I was once not allowed to buy mushrooms by a farmer at a farmers' market in London because she felt that I was endangering my health by asking for raw mushrooms!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »
Indeed, I was once not allowed to buy mushrooms by a farmer at a farmers' market in London because she felt that I was endangering my health by asking for raw mushrooms!

So she was selling dried mushrooms? Or cooked mushrooms?

That sounds very strange to me. Here in Canada, I've seen lots of different varieties of both raw and dried mushrooms for sale, both in standard supermarkets, and in farmers markets. There's no special "health warning" labels or anything like that.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »
So she was selling dried mushrooms? Or cooked mushrooms?

That sounds very strange to me. Here in Canada, I've seen lots of different varieties of both raw and dried mushrooms for sale, both in standard supermarkets, and in farmers markets. There's no special "health warning" labels or anything like that.
No, she was only selling fresh, raw mushrooms at the time - as a result, she felt she was doing me a favour by banning me from buying them, as she had heard I wanted them raw.

I suspect that she, like her husband, had been more informed re antinutrient levels in many mushrooms, so had gotten the idea that (most) mushrooms must be cooked beforehand. I don't think she would have minded me buying the standard farmed champignons as I think(?) they have lower levels of antinutrients, but it was the wild mushrooms I wanted at the time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
Ayurveda advises against eating mushrooms.
Cheers
Al

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:37 am »
Ayurveda advises against eating mushrooms.
interesting... what does it say?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:17 am »
Essentially there are nutrition-free.

This will start a war. LOL

I am not certain of the exact reason, but it may also be due to it being a fungus.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:17:18 am »
My children love mushrooms, I made mushrooms sauteed in butter one of their first foods.
I will slow cook them on a skillet with either pasture butter or lamb fat.

I don't think mushrooms are much good raw, but if they are slow cooked then the low glycemic polysaccharides become more bio available. I believe that some mushroom nutrients have brain and immune enhancing properties, and when used as an edible sponge for fat , they can be a healthy food .

especially in winter because of the vitamin D found in mushrooms.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk