Poll

some general questions....

?
1 (100%)
??
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Just joined...  (Read 2970 times)

Offline dizzzie_d

• Forager
    • View Profile
Just joined...
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:00:45 am »
Hello everyone. I just joined this forum this morning. I have decided to switch to the raw paleo diet after many years of flip flopping back and forth between vegetarian lifestyle and I guess "regular" ways of eating. I find that I am slightly overweight a lot of the time and my skin is almost never clear. The only time I am at a weight I like and have clear skin is just after fasting or after doing the Master Cleanse. I am not interested in crash dieting or fad diets but I am looking for a way of eating that will become part of my lifestyle. I am looking for a more healthy way to live and I could never attempt a raw vegan diet because I know I love meat far too much. I am sure I will not have a problem with the raw aspect as far as vegetables go and I am a huge fan of beef carpaccio and steak tartare. While I know I can get those things at nice restaurants in my area I would like to be able to save some money and not eat at a french or Italian restaurant every meal. I live in the Miami Beach area and I don't know much about buying from butchers and I am not sure which types of meat to buy. I am also scared to try poultry raw because of salmonella poisoning. Can anyone recommend websites to order meat from? Also what about kosher butchers? There are a few around here so I have that option instead of buying from the local chain grocery store or Whole Foods. I have tried unpasteurized milk before and I am not sure I like that but I know calcium is important for women especially so do most people that eat raw take  vitamins/supplements? I welcome any suggestions and I also appreciate the fact that there is such a helpful forum for people considering this lifestyle.  Sorry about squeezing so many questions into one post...... Thanks! ;)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Just joined...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:50:29 am »
Greetings. A lot of people in USA order meat from Slankers at www.texasgrassfedbeef.com. I also have a co op near where I live that orders from local farmers, you might be able to find something like that if you look long enough. I only found it after an AV seminar I was at, he brought these farmers along.

Calcium and other mineral supplements are useless. The healthiest bones in women have been found among non-milk drinking women that eat healthy diets with plenty of meat. Raw milk imo isn't the worst thing you can eat, but it's pretty useless for nutrients, or at least much less efficient than meat and organs dollar for dollar. The more I do this diet the more I realize that eating animals (as many parts as I can) is the most cost effective way to get all the nutrients I need.

I don't know anything about kosher butchers except that it's a religious stipulation not a health one. I think they bleed it a certain way and bless it and some other stuff, but it doesn't mean it's grass fed or anything like that.

You don't look overweight in your picture, what are you considering slightly overweight?

JaX

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:57:07 am »
Welcome to the forums and the lifestyle dizzzie!

When you'll start eating raw meat the fear of bacteria will disappear, with time. Every raw paleo dieter had it in the back of his/her mind the first couple of meals, but after some time you'll realized that what is being said in the media about the dangers of germs/bacteria in food is mostly BS. Just consider that the last salmonella outbreak in the US was in Peanut butter, which is a pasteurized product. Disease causing bacteria thrive much better in cooked/sterile food where they have an environment they can thrive in, and don't have any competition from "Good" bacteria. Plus, bacteria thrives much better in someone eating SAD than someone eating a raw paleo diet :). I haven't heard of a case of food poisoning from anyone eating raw meat. Primal dieters often eat raw conventional (non-organic) chicken, even rotten chicken, fish and beef (high meat). Some gurus will even tell you bacterial infections/parasites are beneficial since they eat away at toxins and weak cells in the body (survival of the fittest between cells) .

I've eaten raw supermarket chicken, raw pork, even eaten raw pre-frozen/thawed chicken, have never had any problems, no stomach upsets. Chicken and pork though are not the best foods and should probably not be the main part of your diet since they are almost always grained. Look for certified organic grassfed beef and certified organic grassfed lamb or wild animals. I don't know where you can find these things in your area (look for organic butchers, co-ops, farmers markets, small-scale farms) but you can order meat online from farms all over the country: www.eatwild.com (though the meat you get when ordering online is often frozen).

I recommend you keep it simple. I prefer not to mix too many ingredients together, and I always eat meats/organs alone, since it digests better that way (meats require acidic HCl for digestion, fruits and vegetables alkalize the stomach/intestines). Some people love recipes though and it's actually a lot easier to transition into raw paleo that way. Eat varied and try the different muscle meats/cuts and organs. The most common organs to eat raw is heart, kidney, liver and tongue (and tongue is especially delicious). The fattiest cuts (ribeye, ribs, neck) are the most delicious :)

Most people in here agree that the recommendation for calcium given by official recommendation is too high and counterproductive. There is a delicate balance between magnesium/calcium in the body and if you take in too much calcium it can actually cause deficiency in both of them I believe. Keep in mind that the vast majority people in the world (75%) are lactose intolerant. It is particularly high in Asia where more than 90% of the people are lactose intolerant. And the Japanese have the highest life expectancy, with a diet of mainly raw fish and white rice. Calcium is everywhere including in water. Excluding grains (to avoid phytates which bind with calcium) and getting sunshine directly on your skin (for vitamin D) are the most important factors to get calcium. (I should note that calcium deficiency is a very controversial topic, very rarely proven, since calcium is always maintained in a very narrow range in the blood and blood tests of calcium rarely prove anything). By all means, Add raw milk/cream/butter  if you aren't allergic to them and see how they affect you. Some people do very well with a little raw dairy in the diet and even heal faster. Just don't let raw dairy products be the main part of your diet (don't forget the raw meats).

Most Raw Animal Foodists don't take any supplements, some even eat a meat only diet (raw organs, muscle meats and fats from grassfed animals + water) and have no deficiencies.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:53:33 am »

Like the others said, studies on Bantu women, who consume very low amounts of calcium each day, have shown that they still have strong bones despite that. Indeed, other studies have shown a  strong link between high osteoporosis rates and high consumption of pasteurised dairy. Strong bones require other things like magnesium vitamin D and phsophorus, and ingesting too much calcium can block uptake of magnesium , leading to magnesium-deficiency.

Re  meats:- Meats must be wildcaught or 100% grassfed(some farms cheat by feeding their animals grains during winter but otherwise feed them on grass/hay, so it's misleading for the latter to call their meat "grassfed" - aim at farms promising 100% grassfed, therefore. Other than the ones listed, there is also North star bison:-

http://www.northstarbison.com/

Re kosher:- I've heard that removing the blood reduces the quality of the meat re taste.(though I have never knowingly ate kosher meats, so only have this info 2nd-hand). There are organic equivalents for kosher or halal(the muslim equivalent) but kosher or halal alone don't by any means guarantee the quality of the meat re the grassfed question etc. Indeed, there have been some scandals re kosher/halal practices re animals in the past due to poor conditions.

Re supplements:- Supplements are frowned upon by RPDers - BUT some people come to RPD diets from SAD/SMD diets with severe mineral-/vitamin-deficiencies, so they sometimes need a rapid boost with multivitamin/mineral supplements. Since artificial supplements are very poorly absorbed by the body by comparison to natural vitamins/minerals in raw foods, they should be seen only as a temporary emergency measure.

Here are 2  standard Info-threads which may prove useful to you as well:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/where-to-buy-cheap-raw-animal-food(please-don't-post-in-this-thread!)/

Other than french and italina (and russian/hungarian) restuarants for steak tartare, there are always japanese sashimi(=raw fish) restaurants, ethiopian restaurants offering raw meat kitfo, south american restaurants offering ceviche(raw fish marinated in lemon-juice etc.)

Also have a look at this thread to see a small sample of what others are eating:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/off-topic/what-are-you-eating-right-now/
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:56:40 pm »
Welcome.  You might be able to find local suppliers of meat.  Check with the WAPF chapters in your state, as they will know farmers in your area raising foods by traditional methods.  If you can buy direct from the farm, more power to you.

http://www.westonaprice.org/localchapters/index.html#fl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk