Author Topic: Searing/Blending Raw Foods  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Searing/Blending Raw Foods
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:16 am »
Hey all,
     I haven't been on here for a while, largely because I'm student teaching 7th graders in geography and don't have much time, but also because I shifted away from a raw diet for a while. I have never been 100% raw, but really only incorporating raw muscle meats into my diet on occasion. Now with all the stress I'm experiencing, I reevaluated what would make me feel healthiest. I recently remembered an article I read on the Weston A. Price site about a teacher eating raw liver to reduce stress so I tried it again. I ended up making a smoothie with liver and raw egg yolks and I felt really euphoric after.

Now I'm eating raw liver shakes every morning for breakfast and also incorporating U.S. Wellness's pet food (8/10 65% fat ground beef, 1/10 liver, 1/10 heart) seared and raw on the inside for dinner. I eat a cooked beef meal most days for lunch because of social reasons. (I have a mentor teacher and do not want to eat raw animal foods in front of him).

I'm writing as a raw novice asking if it is okay to sear or blend raw animal foods so that I actually stand to eat them. I can't stand the taste and texture of many organ meats raw, but I like the seared U.S. wellness burgers and I love liver shakes. I'm also thinking of adding beef kidney to my shakes next.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Zym.

Offline SAV

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Searing/Blending Raw Foods
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:12:23 am »
I can't really see too much harm being done searing your meats - as long as you don't over sear it.
I have beef tataki quiet often & don't notice any difference compared to eating my muscle meats fully raw. 

Sounds to me like it might also be the texture that you're not liking.

I just bought some organic diced lamb & gave all the pieces a good beating with my tenderiser - large chunks of raw muscle meat are much more pallatable when they're less chewy & tough.
I'm just waiting for my kimchi and lamb to get up to room temperature.... yum! 

Also, try slicing the meats very thin like carpaccio.
The blending idea is also a very good one - something I'm waiting to try as soon as my stainless steel manual hand meat grinder comes in.

Goodluck
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:37:28 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:41 am »
Slicing the meats into very thin/small pieces is useful.  Blending should be OK too.  You can also use sauces/dips, until you get used to the flavor of raw organs by themselves.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:31:17 am »
Slicing the meats into very thin/small pieces is useful.  Blending should be OK too.  You can also use sauces/dips, until you get used to the flavor of raw organs by themselves.

Do you mean dipping cooked foods into raw organ meats or dipping raw foods like vegetables?

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:52 am »
bump. Do you all think that blending organ meats is fine? I prefer to drink liver sometimes rather than slice and eat it.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:39:52 am »
I think blending is fine, so long as you eat it within a few minutes of blending.

As far as sauces go, I meant dipping raw foods into sauces/dips.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:01:37 pm »
I think blending is fine, so long as you eat it within a few minutes of blending.

As far as sauces go, I meant dipping raw foods into sauces/dips.

Gotcha. Thanks CK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk