Author Topic: Inclined Bed Therapy (formerly Elevating the head of your bed)  (Read 79701 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Inclined Bed Therapy (formerly Elevating the head of your bed)
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »
Stenosis CCSVI Experimental model shows blood density / postural origin . Part 2

The video deals with how solutes alter pressures in aqueous solution. It may help you understand how IBT works to reduce the pressure inside our veins.

Andrew

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:03 pm »
Why doesn't everyone gets sick? 
I realize I should have said "Why doesn't everyone have Varicose veins?"

However in answer to your question, from what I have noticed, some people get sick. I for one stopped snoring and when I lie on a flat mattress, I do snore again. My back and legs and ankles are stronger.

Everyone may not have this reaction. Snoring implies breathing difficulties, which would imply less oxygen to the body, which cannot be healthy. It no doubt facilitates a slow decline.

You could also say why doesn't everyone get sick from a cooked diet because not everyone does.?

This doesn't make senses to me. If it were true, we would get varicose veins on the head and shoulders because these veins barely ever get a chance to be under a slight pressure. 
Your head and shoulders have a different valve version. Otherwise the blood would not flow properly. That's why when you do an inverted Yoga type posture, the blood rushes to your head. That's why when you wound your arm for instance, you raise it, so the blood will not rush out of the wound.
Cheers
Al

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2013, 12:44:41 am »
If we think about blood rushing to either the feet or head for a minute and realise that our circulation is circular, blood can't rush in either direction without it affecting circulation. I guess what people refer to is a change in orthostatic pressure, which relates to measuring pressure when in standing position. If we shift from head up to head down, we change the pressure. What I am trying to say is that the only way blood could rush to the feet or head is if there was an opening for it to flow out.

However, the physiology literature states erroneously that gravity cannot influence or affect the circulation directly because it acts equally on the blood in the veins as it does on the blood in the arteries. The error occurs through ignorance of density changes in the blood that flows through the lungs and skin tissue, because each time we exhale we change the density of the capillary blood that supplies the lungs. Exhaling excretes solute free water from a liquid that contains minerals, salts and sugars. It is impossible for us to evaporate water from the blood without altering the density of said blood!

This means that the blood leaving the lungs is denser than the blood entering the lungs providing the air we breathe is dryer than the air we exhale.

Inclined Bed Therapy affects these density changes and by maintaining a slight beneficial angle to assist the movement of solutes towards the kidneys, where filtration eliminates them via the bladder, affording the less dense blood additional motility in the venous return. But as I have said before, the lymph and CSF fluids are also influenced by gravity and I believe that it is density changes and posture that drive both.   Andrew K Fletcher     

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2014, 04:01:03 am »
Thank you Andrew. The video and your explanation were brilliant. I am not sure why I missed that previously. I was just looking up the thread when I saw it.

BTW thanks for the IBT from my wife and myself. I built our beds that way and we always take a set of bed risers when we travel.

For those who do not know, Andrew is the gentleman who popularized this treatment. His wife tested out some of the results ie. reduced heart rate, reduced breathing rate.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:49 am »
I slightly incline my bed, but in the opposite (correct) way to have my legs a bit higher. When you have been sitting and standing up the whole day, it's good for the legs to have them higher as it helps blood circulation in the veins and thus rests them.

It's like when massaging: you should never massage from up to down the feet, but the opposite way.

Not sure if I agree with the (correct)  ;D ;) but if it works great. I know that PPL have suspended themselves upside down for a few days straight with no apparent ill effects, so I think the body is quite adaptable.

I have an inversion table (homemade) that I periodically invert myself with, when I do my morning Yoga. I used to do about 5 minutes, but now I do maybe a minute or two.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk