Author Topic: Question re smells from fridges  (Read 2242 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Question re smells from fridges
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:40:11 pm »
I have a fridge at home in which I store raw meats. I don't make a point of storing them in plastic boxes as it's too much hassle, so it smellss a little when the fridge is opened and current cleaning products don't seem to get rid of the smell. But in recent times I have stored raw meats in fridges shared with other people, and there has been an issue re smells. Now, long-term usage of such other fridges would be a hassle as they would start smelling a bit like my own fridge. I was wondering if people knew of some excellent cleaning product, sold worldwide, which would be able to clear a fridge of absolutely all smells without damaging the fridge itself?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Question re smells from fridges
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »
    My man seemed to have gotten something stinky on his shirt the other day.  I washed it twice, but the smell was still there.  So then I used Bac-Out by biokleen on it, and the smell disappeared.  It reads that it has live enzyme cultures in it and lime peel extract for "cleaning power".  The ingredients read: natural enzyme-producing cultures, food-grade lime-extacts and stabilizers, vegetable-based surfactants, and filtered water.  Fermented coconut cream is good for cleaning quite a number of things.  I used to use a dish washing detergent called "keep america beautiful" and that cleaned things better than anything I experienced, it was from Tree of Life in Florida I think, and it was natural.  I'm not sure what's available by you.  Plain baking soda may help.  What about borax?  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »
Plain baking soda may help. 
That's what we do when the fridge smells bad; we just buy a box of baking soda and leave it open in the fridge to absorb any smells. It works fairly well but isn't perfect.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:46 pm »
    My mom did that too with the baking soda and also washed the fridge with warm water and baking soda.  But would it kill my centipedes?

I'm joking.  

I clean my fridge with whatever I have on hand, which is usually warm water.

Borax is used with hot water to get used cloth baby diapers clean and fresh smelling.  I think it's insecticidal too. Never seen insects in baby diapers though.

Ammonia should work well.  It also gets rid of smells, but has it's own smell.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:16:48 am »
I leave a box of baking soda in the fridge. Recently my fridge died while I was away for work, so the house smelled horribly when I returned. (I was so hungry too :( )  Anyway, I cleaned it with white vinegar (and the windows open :) ), which worked perfectly. The vinegar smell dissipates quickly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk