Author Topic: Nuts VS Meats  (Read 34865 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Nuts VS Meats
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:05 am »
Nuts contain antinutrients. Soak them in water for  24 hours, beforehand.

Hmmh... Apes eat nuts, hunter-gatherers eat nuts, instinctos eat nuts, Yuli eat nuts, Iguanas eat nuts...;)  There is probably anti-nutrients in every foodstuff, I mean everything can become an anti-nutrient if you eat or drink too much of it. As always, it's only a matter of dose. See DHMO.org (once again!)  :P
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 08:02:06 am »
I hate nuts. They are too addictive, and I always get some sort of stomach-ache afterwards from the antinutrients. I don't bother with them unless I have nothing else that's suitable, and then it's only a handful or so here and there.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:56 am »
Nuts are best in moderation. Also, it is wise not to eat solely nuts.

I remember, I ate just raw almonds for one day and that's it and quite a few (i was am still am doing one meal a day when I had the nuts, so it was just one big meal of nuts for that day) got severe cramps when I was laying down to sleep.

I wouldn't get that prob if I would have eaten some fresh fruit before I ate the nuts or sometime during that day.

That's the difference, I can't just eat nuts to fill me alone. But I can just eat meat and not get cramps.

I am guessing some nuts are better than others.

Keep in mind, different nuts/seeds have different fat/carb/protien ratios too. Seeds like sunflower seeds having less fat for ratio of calories. I am less likely to over eat on nuts when they are soaked and absorbed water. Although i like the dry flavor more. Walnuts are 80-85% of calories coming from fat I believe. I am also less likely to over do English walnuts than I am to over do my favorites, like pistachio, Brazil nuts, filberts etc.
Walnuts seem to have more anti-nutrients? perhaps idk

nut butters are a cool experiment, i made sunflower butter

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:47 pm »
A good trick to insure that you can eat too much of it, Sully! Also if you decide to eat nuts only or if you have nuts only to eat, you're likely to eat too many.

I hate nuts. They are too addictive, and I always get some sort of stomach-ache afterwards from the antinutrients. I don't bother with them unless I have nothing else that's suitable, and then it's only a handful or so here and there.

Are you sure the nuts you buy haven't been warm dried, as is most often the case? Otherwise they wouldn't be addictive: normally we can't eat too much raw nuts if unmixed and unprocessed. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »

Are you sure the nuts you buy haven't been warm dried, as is most often the case? Otherwise they wouldn't be addictive: normally we can't eat too much raw nuts if unmixed and unprocessed. 
  Only some of the nuts I have bought are likely to have been warmed/heated, such aas cashews. The rest were fine. It was definitely the antinutrients, as when I soak the nuts in water for 24 hours beforehand, I get far fewer symptoms.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:53 am »
How do I know if the walnuts I get are raw? There is no label on them indicating raw, or heat treated either. I doubt they are totally raw, many nuts are processed using some form of heat.

The walnuts I get are from Costco, called Kirkland Signature's Walnuts. I buy them locally but this a picture of them in this link

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10253182&whse=BD_823&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_823|9894|75763&N=4047545&Mo=55&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_823&cat=75763&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bd

Should I still eat them?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:15:51 am by bharminder »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:37 am »
I wouldn't eat it unless I'm starving to death: shelled nuts are generally hot dried, usually at 60 to 70° C. Nuts in shell are more likely to be all right, but it's not sure either.   

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 05:38:33 am »
So avoid all nuts and seeds unless I can be sure they are properly handled?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:16 am »
Yes, it's wise to make sure that they haven't been heated to more than 40 - 45° C maximum if you want to eat 100% raw.

Also, when a food has been overheated (I mean over 40° C) you can eat too much of it and thus break your nutritional instinctive balance. That's a an additional reason why the standard commercial nuts and dry fruits are hot dried: so people can eat more of it and they buy more!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:13:38 am by Iguana »

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 06:19:19 am »
check out this link : http://www.living-foods.com/articles/nuts.html  it has all the info you need.

Basically there's no such thing as "raw" nuts in the commercial world.It's kind of a false label.Most or all nuts go through high heat in processing to prevent molds and whatever else.....If you want them raw,you need to pick them from the tree yourself.And even then,you have to deal with the enzyme inhibitors.When you soak them in water they taste bland and soggy -v.....getting the idea you might be better off with meat? ;)
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:27 am »
yeah, even in shell the only one I hear that is consistently reliable are pecans, the old Billing's link 'confirms' this.

the other way to avoid almost certainly buying heated products is to go directly through a grower on ebay. I've eaten fresh macadamias before that a friend had ordered this way, and they were out of this world. Of course I was eating veg at the time. Now I can't even sit and cut my meat with a knife, so even the process of opening and eating nut fragments drives me up the wall - and is more than incentive to eat other healthier things - unless i'm watching tv or something.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:57 am »
pecans grow wild in central texas. they're everywhere. i could literally go out and pick a pound of them in about half an hour if i really wanted. i've been eating them a lot recently (read about 15 whole pecans at a sitting maybe two or three times a week, so not THAT much) with no apparent problems, but i think it's just a passing thing. meat still works best for me. i just don't see why i wouldn't eat nuts if they're local, free, and tasty. i don't soak them either. i don't think paleo peoples did either. so what, there are some anti nutrients. it's not like they're a staple or anything. they're totally seasonal. and i think im getting something out of them that's hard to get from other sources because i've been craving them. maybe magnesium? i dunno

edit: i will say though, the pecans have been breed to bear larger nuts that are much easier to get the meat out of. the truly wild and unadulterated pecan trees the i've seen out in the hill country have small nuts that are extremely difficult to extract the meat from. not impossible but very time consuming. so, with that in mind, nuts (well i guess i can only say this about pecans) probably weren't anywhere near a staple for the paleo-indians of texas.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »
Yon,you're craving them so you think they provide something you can't get elsewhere? Dude,have you ever craved ice cream? cigarettes? cookies?hmmm come on man ;D

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:52 pm »
Yon,you're craving them so you think they provide something you can't get elsewhere? Dude,have you ever craved ice cream? cigarettes? cookies?hmmm come on man ;D

King Salmon, there’s a  threshold between real, natural Paleo stuff (anything an animal or our ancestors could find in nature) and processed Neolithic, modern food. Clearly the duration in which we have been in contact with the latter (ice creams, cookies, chocolate and wheat, dairy, cooked food,etc) has been ways too short for a perfect adaptation to take place.

On the contrary, pecans have been there since hundreds millions or a billion years, so that animals and humans had all the time to adapt to it. Therefore, our metabolism and instinct have all the reasons to be adapted to it, while they have no reason to be adapted to recently appeared stuff.

I like pecans very much, but they are expensive in Europe.

By the way, I replied to your PM.

Francois

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »

uh, pecans are a wild raw food source. ice cream is not. there is a clear difference as iguana said. but i don't want to argue. they're working for me right now. that's all that matters to me

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:01 am »
Pecans are very tasty I even ate cereals with pecan last weak lol was worth it (with pasturized homogonized dead milk lol) :D
But I felt like it scratched all my digestive lining and my gums like hell. eat this food once a year to remember why I started eating healthy at the first place haha

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 05:43:29 am »
Why not just eat the pecans without the cereals..?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 07:04:51 am »
I was refering to the "craving" part.I don't believe that because you crave a certain food,regardless of what it is,it means that you are deficient in what that food provides.Including pecans,ice cream,or whatever else.Paleolithic,Neolithic,Monolithic...whateverlithic.A craving is kind of an addiction.That's all I was trying to say.

I know how long pecans have been around and I also know how long ice cream has been around.

Francois,Thanks,I sent you my email already(I guess you didn't receive it?)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 07:28:55 am »
I was refering to the "craving" part.I don't believe that because you crave a certain food,regardless of what it is,it means that you are deficient in what that food provides....

So you mean craving are only due to addiction?
That puts the whole instincto concept in the trash then.
Because how do I know when I am craving raw salmon that its because I need some of that good fatty fish fat or because its for the same reason as I would crave ice cream?
I think its more related to deficiencies.
For example if you are plagued by cravings it probably means you are lacking something or are not in balance, even if you are craving ice cream, the reason you are craving it so much is because you are missing something in your diet (and not necessarily ice cream).
True some cravings are partly due to food addiction, like sugar addiction is a common one. But if you took a sugar addict and made them eat a good diet for a coupla weeks guess what, their cravings for sugar will diminish. So the reason the sugar addict was addicted in the first place was BECAUSE they were lacking something in their diet and replacing it with sugar. IF the diet is fixed then your brain won't be screaming "gimmie something!".
So I think we SHOULD listen to our cravings, but we should analyze them, for example if you are constantly craving crap you actually don't need this crap but should analyze whats wrong in your diet. BUT if you are craving a valid food item (meat, fresh plant foods, nuts, fats, fruits etc)...perhaps your body is not so stupid and its telling you to eat something else because whatever you're eating is not good enough.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:27 am »
Yuli,I see what you mean, but to me it is simple.I don't get cravings.I'm either hungry or I'm not.So,either I eat or I don't.End of story.I eat beef and lamb but I don't "crave" it.I just eat,then move on with my day.

Cravings,to me,are addictive/obsessive behavior towards foods or whatever other substances.

I also realize I won't be popular here for saying that,primarily because this is a "food" obsessed/focused forum,but so be it. ;)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 10:34:16 am »
Well if I am really hungry and theres is only one thing I will just eat that one thing.
But if I am hungry and there is perhaps four different things I could eat I have to decide which one I want to eat, to help me decide I ask my brain "well what are you craving for?"...provided these "things" aren't garbage and I have been eating (or trying) the best diet I can then HOPEFULLY my brain will say "well I want that thang!" because it needs that thing over all the other things.

So you say "when I am hungry I just eat..", well if you are hungry and you are put two plates of raw meat from two very different animals you HAVE to pick SOMETHING! Unless you wanna eat BOTH? So then I have to wonder how the 'craving' or 'picking something' plays a part in you nutrition.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:40 am »
to clarify, i wasn't literally like obsessing over wanting to eat some pecans. they were there, i ate some, they tasted good, so i ate more. and more frequently. this is totally natural in my opinion. so if you're saying this is somehow unhealthy or something then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

i think all wild animals 'crave' foods at different times of the year as part of their survival instinct. so i dunno, labeling all raw wild food cravings as addictions seems pretty inaccurate.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
Yuli,fair question.I'll give you an example.The grass fed beef I get is rather lean.So,in order to add fat content I'll switch to lamb for a day,or alternate days or whatever.I don't crave either one.It's more of an "intellectual" choice.As humans in modern society,we have more choices and don't have to spend time hunting.This gives me more time for other things.
My point is,I'm not walking around during the day lickin' my chops for lamb or anything else.

I used to have cravings when I was on SAD(coffee ice cream...etc),so I know the difference. ;)
I find not having cravings very liberating.
Compared to animals,humans(modern humans anyway)have more choices of activity.So,instead of hunting for our next meal,we can build houses,meditate or whatever.
I don't believe that animals behavior is comparable.They eat what they can find and need to be opportunistic,or they starve.
Bottomline: Instead of obssesing/craving certain foods due to flavors or whatever,it's best to keep things simple(I eat because I have to essentially).After I eat,I move on to other things.

Sorry if the above sounds bland,but I don't believe in "sugar-coating" the RPD diet -d

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »
I have a little craving problem though Im on SAD diet.

Next day after a hard workout Im all sleepy and have craving for sweats tea butter and stuff like that
and I feel like I need to eat but when ever I eat its hard for my body and all I want to do is Sleep after meals. I eat 4-6 meals
and constantly hungry. I need to make this transition to raw because Im tired of feeling like sleepy hungry pieace of shit

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 11:11:50 pm »
Why not just eat the pecans without the cereals..?

Because the pecans were inside  one of the "Healthiest" Cereals evahh it contains 7 Vitamins and Iron!! dont you watch TV??!!?
And the worst part is my little 5 years old sister eats em all day long she gets sick every end of the month and  parents feed her antibiotic like its a candy woohoo!!   :'( she is so beautiful if she gets some chronic disease or grow bad I have no idea what I am gonna do to mother...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk