Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 339733 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:08 am »
I find when I yawn it usually means I'm resetting my brain. I'm going from anxious to relaxed.

Yawning opens ups the cranuim.

If some has a heart attack and the yawns afterwards it means they are improving and things are looking up. This diet does some interesting things but most of the time you don't even notice them.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
    Very interesting. 

When my son was vegan with this illness, he was yawning all the time and he was finding it very bothersome.  Eating a high fat animal product (dairy/honey) based diet, he rarely ever yawns and feels much better about so much less yawning.  In the early middle of this Winter we couldn't get any usable butter (nor cream).  He got lots of yawns and he did find that very bothersome.  When we got lots of cream and usable butter, the yawns went back away.

.. Otto Heinrich Warburg, MD won the Nobel prize for his findings on the respiration of cells, particularly cancer cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_hypothesis). Warburg found that cancer cells thrive in an anaerobic environment, because they get their energy from an anaerobic fuel source. What is that anaerobic fuel source? The anaerobic fermentation of glucose into pyruvate, presumably fueled by dietary carbs (whether only certain types of carbs provide the fuel and others don't, I don't know), as Warburg indicated in his 1966 lecture at a meeting of Nobel laureates:

"Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar." ("The Prime Cause and Prevention of Cancer," Revised Lindau Lecture, http://healingtools.tripod.com/primecause1.html/)

This toxic anaerobic process apparently bypasses the mitochondria and is apparently also found in Alzheimer's disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis#Alzheimer.27s_disease, and doubtless other diseases of civilization as well. Because of this process, some believe that ketogenic diets are potentially effective treatments of cancer.

Believe it or not, I think that carb-induced yawning may be another (far more benign, of course) effect of this process and that it may have implications for athletic performance, since efficient oxygen use and mitochondria are so important in aerobic athletic activities. It could also just be mere fluke coincidence that I experience this no-yawning phenomenon while I avoid plant carbs...

I notice some change in me too reference carbs/very low carbs, that corroborates this theory.  It's not as big of a difference in yawning for me as you guys though.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:05 am »
Funny that you thought of yawning paleophil.

now that you mention it I realize I don't remember the last time I yawned...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2010, 10:01:05 am »
...I was about to concur earlier that I had diminished yawning, as I know for certain that when I yawn in front of the GF speaking that she gets rather miffed. But I yawned just earlier and I don't really consume many carbs.
I didn't mean to imply there's necessarily absolute zero yawning on ZC. I still occasionally yawn, but it's pretty rare (probably less than once a week, actually, but I haven't been tracking it carefully, so I was being conservative and granting the possibility of once a week)--I used the term "no-yawning" for simplicity (just like "zero carb", which is not literally zero carb) and hoped it wouldn't cause confusion. It's more of a mouthful to say "near-zero-yawning on ZC," but if the latter term will make things clearer, I'll use it.

how exactly due you see the yawning being a factor, do you think see it allowing for greater uptake of oxygen as with deeper breath?
That's what I remember being told as a youth by some teachers (who have loads of experience with yawning youths :D ). When I noticed not long ago that I was rarely yawning and was no longer yawning in contagious response to other people doing so, I remembered being told about yawning being due to oxygen deficiency (though I wasn't completely convinced of it at the time) and I also remembered that anaerobic bacteria are the deadly ones, and Warburg on cancer cells being anaerobic and getting their fuel from anaerobic respiration (aka anaerobic fermentation), and wondered if there could be connections between it all.

There seems to be a general principle of oxygen = good, no oxygen = bad. Here are some more examples of no oxygen = bad:
> Anaerobic fermentation of sugars from grapes, grains, etc. produces alcohol, an addictive toxin (http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-101.html).
> Anaerobic digestion produces methane, an asphyxiating, oxygen-displacing gas (asphyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane#Potential_health_effects). Cattle that eat feeds heavy in poorly digested carbs like cereal grains and soy emit higher levels of methane gas in their flatulence. Humans who eat poorly digested carbs also tend to flatulate more (I rarely flatulate any more, BTW, believe it or not).
> Anaerobic respiration/fermentation in fast twitch muscle fibers that rely on quick spurts of anaerobic fuel produces "lactic acid that accumulates within the cells [and] eventually leads to muscle fatigue and cramp." (http://science.jrank.org/pages/322/Anaerobic-Fermentation.html)

There appears to be at least one exception to this general principle: improved health benefits of foods treated with lactic acid fermentation, such as sauerkraut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut#Health_benefits), yogurt (http://www.griffined.com/pages/Resp_yogurt.pdf) and kimchi, although part of the process of fermenting these foods and alcohol is aerobic. I don't do well on yogurt and I don't care for the taste of sauerkraut or any other vinegared food, so I haven't experimented with these foods myself, but others here have reported benefits from them. Interestingly, the foods that can be fermented purely aerobically (high meat and stink fish) and without producing vinegar appear to be the most healthful of all the fermented foods.

Don't dog's yawn alot -c commercially fed at least - maybe monitoring carnivorous dogs is a better control than humans who might have other issues at play?
Big cats that are obligate carnivores also yawn, and yawning among wild carnivores is the only thing that doesn't fit so far. Big cats are big organ eaters, but whether there's enough carbs in the organs they eat to cause yawning, I don't know. However, yawning cats don't answer the question of why I and some others yawn less on ZC, and why my yawning increases when I eat carbs.

it does list Insufficient oxygen in blood as a possible cause as also opioid withdrawal,
Interesting, can you share some links? It makes sense that oxygen-starved blood could be the main link between oxygen deprivation at the cellular level and at the systemic level.

It is true that cereal grains produce opioids in the body, but I wasn't aware that fruits did. Alcohol produced by anaerobic fermentation of fruits (and other carbs) does have similar effects on humans as opioids ("Alcohol and opioids: possible interactions of clinical importance," http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2821747).

so perhaps it is linked to detox on an all raw diet.
I'm not a big fan of the term "detox," as it is very vague and used in multiple and even contradictory ways by different people and is frequently used by vegans/vegetarians to explain away all sorts of nasty side effects of their diets and people selling questionable products, so I don't have much interest in that avenue of exploration, but you are of course free to explore that if you wish.

I do know the Primals think berries can trigger certain kinds of detox.
I've noticed yawning is produced by all fruits I've tried, not just berries. Berries actually seem to produce less yawning than some other fruits I've tried.

Funny that you thought of yawning paleophil.

now that you mention it I realize I don't remember the last time I yawned...
Yes, as I recall, the first time I noticed I wasn't yawning much on ZC was when one co-worker yawned and then another yawned in the usual contagious fashion, but I didn't. It was one of the rare times in my life when I didn't yawn contagiously and didn't even have to stifle a yawn. I thought that was odd, then I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had yawned. I wondered if it could be related to my ZC diet of the time. Later on when I cheated and ate some carbs I yawned quite a bit, adding some confirmation. Each time I've had significant carbs since then I've yawned gapingly within a day of eating them, while rarely yawning gapingly at any other times.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:34:14 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:01 am »
Interesting, can you share some links? It makes sense that oxygen-starved blood could be the main link between oxygen deprivation at the cellular level and at the systemic level.

I think I just googled "why people yawn" or something

here is the site
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/yawning_excessively.htm

its basically just a list which is why I didn't cite it. It looks like there are plenty of articles and such though.

btw, you can make sauerkraut with just salt, and I believe some people claim to make it with just cabbage if you are ever inclined :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
I received my Multistix and luckily the numbers look good today despite my facultatively carnivorous diet. That's somewhat comforting, but I'll need to do more tests to get a better idea of where I stand.

pH: 6.0
Specific Gravity: 1.015
KETONES:   40

I had a good dental cleaning today. The hygeinist used a heavy-duty scraper on the tooth hole that used to go all the way to the root and thus be extremely painful to clean. There was zero pain. Simply amazing. Unfortunately, I still have significant plaque, though it comes off more easily. I'm hoping that CLO and vitamins A, D3 and K2 will eventually help some more with that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:50:55 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2010, 09:14:06 am »
Unfortunately, I still have significant plaque, though it comes off more easily. I'm hoping that CLO and vitamins A, D3 and K2 will eventually help some more with that.

At least for me, the D-3 has immediate effects on plaque buildup, although I may be more attuned to that than most. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:01 am »
Yes, I think I am more prone to plaque than most, as I appear to have excess calcium phosphate in my saliva and my lower teeth are tipped, providing excellent places for plaque to accumulate. My upper teeth do have less plaque than in the past, though they still accumulate too much.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »
Can you get plaque build-up on ZC(even if you don't brush your teeth)? How does D3 reduce it?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:24:40 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:02 pm »
Yes, especially if you don't brush your teeth. I don't remember exactly how D3 reduces plaque, but I do remember reading about it.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »
For the past ~2months perhaps I've not brushed my teeth. I have been using toothpicks though so there isn't stuff stuck in them. Do you think I am making a mistake not brushing my teeth?

I've had no sort of pain, but sometimes, it does feel like there is a sort of film over my teeth. Is this bad, and why? It seems to depend on what, and when I've eaten, whether I've had good sleep etc.. I don't know which of these affect it, but that kind of thing. I had bad sleep last night and I'm noticing it now.

By the way, if you'd rather this didn't take up space in your journal, there is a topic 'brushing teeth' where it could move to.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:02:27 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
Q: Do you think I am making a mistake not brushing my teeth?

A: Possibly. Can't know for sure without seeing your teeth and gums. You should definitely get it checked out by a hygeinist/dentist at some point, rather than just assume it's OK.

Q: "I've had no sort of pain, but sometimes, it does feel like there is a sort of film over my teeth. Is this bad, and why?"

A: Yes. Film can lead to plaque and gingivitis.

Q: It seems to depend on what, and when I've eaten, whether I've had good sleep etc.. I don't know which of these affect it, but that kind of thing. I had bad sleep last night and I'm noticing it now.

I get very little film while eating carnivorously. Mouth breathing during sleep can dry out the mouth, which can also promote gingivitis, plaque and caries.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:07 am »
pH: 5.5
Urinary Ketones: 80

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Can you get plaque build-up on ZC(even if you don't brush your teeth)? How does D3 reduce it?

I don't know, but there is a current scientific study going on about it.  I have been corresponding with one of the scientists involved with the study.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:17 am »
pH: 6.0
KETONES:   40

OK, my multistix urinalyses have been fairly consistently negative for any bad indicators and the bubbling in my urine has reduced some (though it's still bubbly at times), so I think it's reasonably safe to say that I'm doing fine as regards the urinary system. Little or no indications of kidney stone risk despite eating a facultatively carnivorous diet for over 8 months. The pH is low compared to most people, but it's staying above 5.5 most of the time, so I'm not overly concerned about it as long as the specific gravity stays within the "normal" range.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »
I did some searching and found that my specific gravity may be somewhat high for a person with a history of kidney stones. According to three of the links below, I should be trying to get my SG to below 1.010.

One thing I've learned about test values is that different labs and other sources tend to have different views on what is "normal", but I will try to increase my fluid intake and shoot for the 1.010 reading. I think getting below that would probably require too much fluid intake for me to handle at the moment. The last link questions whether reagent strips are even a valid test, but the more accurate refractometer costs over $100 and the standard urinalysis performed by most physicians involves "dip stick or tablet reagent," so most apparently feel it is sufficiently accurate for general use, though they may also use microscopy or 24-hour collections.

------

"Since the sp gr of the glomerular filtrate in Bowman's space ranges from 1.007 to 1.010, any measurement below this range indicates hydration and any measurement above it indicates relative dehydration." Specific Gravity (sp gr), ttp://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/URINE/URINE.html

"If the specific gravity of your urine is under 1.007, you are hydrated. If your urine is above 1.010, you are dehydrated." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinalysis

"For many patients it is not easy to determine whether or not their fluid intake is adequate. A good general rule of thumb is that if a patient's urine is clear, their fluid intake is adequate. If their urine becomes more yellow to brown, then they should strive to increase their fluid intake. Some patients who are highly motivated may wish to purchase urine dipsticks from their pharmacy or supermarket. Patients may check their level of urine concentration by checking the urinary specific gravity on the dipstick. Patients at risk for kidney stone formation should attempt to keep the urinary specific gravity less than 1.010." http://urologystone.com/CH07TreatmentOptions/fluidIntake.html

"In conclusion, our results suggest that the refractometer is a reliable measure of urine specific gravity. In contrast, the hydrometer and reagent strips were not reliable, nor were they valid measures of urine specific gravity when compared with refractometry. ... Future research is warranted to assess whether a urine specific-gravity measurement of 1.020 as selected by the NCAA is an appropriate cut-off value to indicate euhydration." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC314390/

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:40 am »
Interesting phenomenon I noticed: I seem to be exhaling more steam than I used to. This is probably related to my feeling warmer too. Both effects increase when I eat more animal fat.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2010, 07:00:34 am »
Some time ago I read a recommendation for Life Extension Super K (with advanced K2 complex) by Richard Nikoley of Free the Animal. Richard said it cleared up his dental plaque. Don't know for sure if it's related, but after taking about 30 of the softgels in combination with the Carlson Vitamin K2 that wasn't having any noticeable effect (I'm just using them up), I've noticed that my plaque seems significantly reduced. I think the key may be that the Life Extension brand contains fat (a small amount of "MCT oil"). Vitamin K2 is a fat soluble vitamin and consuming fats is necessary to efficiently absorb fat soluble vitamins.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2010, 05:56:30 am »
I have what seems to be my first mold on air-dried 100% grassfed ground beef and amazingly it has no noticeable odor or taste. Maybe it could be some sort of exuding of fat or something. I noticed that it only occurred on the meat that had stayed damp one night because it was partially covered. Dampness suggests mold, but I've never heard of tasteless, odorless mold. I did some googling and did find links re: odorless mold found one re: nearly tastless mold.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2010, 02:20:13 am »
After reading a bunch of posts about iodine and T3 in another forum and seeing that I have or used to have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid except weight gain (and I have been getting warmer, rather than colder, but in the past I was much colder than most people), I decided to try Dr. Ron's iodine and since then I have been able to digest carbs better than as far back as I can remember. It could be just coincidence, but I will continue to monitor and report.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:38:09 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2010, 04:51:58 am »
I'm going to experiment with iodine too, in the form of lugols so that I can easily control the dosage. What other forums are you talking about? I've read through several pages of the curezone iodine forums with quite a few reporting positive results, though there were some that fared poorly.

Heres a good discussion on one person's iodine and dessicated thyroid adventure - http://blog.dianahsieh.com/search/label/Thyroid

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2010, 06:16:46 am »
Dr. Ron's iodine is supposed to be in the same daily dosage as Dr. Lugol's original dosage. I haven't taken a full dose yet, but already seem to be improving. Thanks for mentioning dessicated thyroid--it reminded me that I forgot to mention that with my Dr. Ron's order I also got some "Organ Delight" and started to take a couple of those each night (full daily dose is 6 capsules), though I forgot on a couple days. It doesn't contain thyroid, though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2010, 10:42:32 am »
I bought some certified organic lacto-fermented sauerkraut at the market, since it's supposed to help the gut flora and thereby the bowels and people in both this forum and the DC forum recommended it. It has no vinegar added, so it doesn't taste as nasty to me as the sauerkraut in delis, though it doesn't taste good either. About an hour after eating it I got the first significant throat mucus I've had in months. That has always been a bad sign for me in the past. I'm thinking it must be acidic, since acidic foods do that to me (apparently when my GI tract gets irritated my body produces mucus to protect it).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:54:01 am by PaleoPhil »

William

« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2010, 05:18:18 pm »
I've made my own sauerkraut for years, used organic cabbage when it was available.
Good when I ate cooked pork, not so much for anything raw. YMMV

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »
I tried eating some fermented sauerkraut after a few years on rawpalaeo. It didn't harm me either way, but I was unpleasantly astonished at how excessively large my stools were afterwards.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk