Author Topic: Wild deer liver  (Read 3042 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild deer liver
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:19:10 am »
Hey forum, previously when i have acquired liver, either grass fed lambs or wild deer, it has been really dark red with quite a strong sweet smell and taste. I have just bought some wild deer liver, that is much lighter in shade, not very red at all and doesnt smell quite so livery. Anyone experienced this before? It doesnt look or smell anywhere near as appealing, although i have not sampled it yet.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Wild deer liver
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51:43 am »
A lot depends on what the deer ate.  Some deer eat a lot of corn.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:55:05 am »
i had deer liver many times.  it always had very deep red and dark bloody color.  it was somewhat crunchy. tasted awesome to me. 

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »
Hey forum, previously when i have acquired liver, either grass fed lambs or wild deer, it has been really dark red with quite a strong sweet smell and taste. I have just bought some wild deer liver, that is much lighter in shade, not very red at all and doesnt smell quite so livery. Anyone experienced this before? It doesnt look or smell anywhere near as appealing, although i have not sampled it yet.

When did you last eat liver? If you had a few kilos yesterday for example, chances are liver aint going to smell and taste too appealing right now.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild deer liver
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:17:44 pm »
i had deer liver many times.  it always had very deep red and dark bloody color.  it was somewhat crunchy. tasted awesome to me. 
exactly! Thats why this instance was strange. The liver had been in a fridge for 5 days, and was going a bit gooiey, but cant imagine such a drastic colour change over such a short time period.
When did you last eat liver? If you had a few kilos yesterday for example, chances are liver aint going to smell and taste too appealing right now.
not ate liver for a while n was really looking forward to it so was disappointed with my supply.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk