Author Topic: Raw Meat Caused Nausea?  (Read 9524 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Raw Meat Caused Nausea?
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:23:09 am »
I have been eating mostly raw for a while now, mostly as my new years resolution to eat only good, but I was having a problem with raw meat.  The grass-fed steaks I normally bought and ate were very expensive, so I switched to buying grass-fed ground beef from trader joe's which was a lot cheaper, but I can't eat the meat straight.. it doesn't taste very good to me and makes me gag and stuff, so I instead started making it into beef jerky using my dehydrator.  The only problem was that the dehydrator doesn't have a temperature control on it, and usually got up to 150 - 160 degrees F as far as I could tell, so the meat was coming out cooked and dried I suppose.  I ate it anyways though, and it tastes good to me like that and all, but then I started having problems where the meat was coming out weird and my thermometer started saying it was 180 degrees now, and it also seems like my health wasn't improving very well.

In any case, I stopped eating the cooked beef jerky and I bought some of the same grass-fed steaks that I used to eat again, and told myself I'd go 100% raw from then on, as long as I could.  I didn't eat any meat for about a week though, but I did eat 100% raw for that time.  Then I finally got one of the steaks out and tried to eat it. 

I ate about 4 ounces of raw steak a few hours before I went to sleep, and ate nothing after eating the steak.  The next morning I woke up feeling extremely nauseated and sick, but I hate puking so I tried to just go back to sleep and ignore it and let the nausea go away on its own.  I couldn't fall back asleep so I tried drinking some water to calm my stomach but it made no difference.  I still felt just as nauseated so I finally got up and went to the bathroom to throw up. 

If you don't want to read the details, you might want to skip this paragraph.  It took me a minute after getting up, but I finally started heaving, but at first nothing came up but air.  I rarely ever puke in my life, but the times I do, I usually don't struggle so much.  I wasn't so much dry heaving, because there was a bunch of air coming out, and it felt like i was puking out air rather than just heaving, though I thought it might be because I hadn't eaten much and my stomach must have been mostly empty.  Then I just forced it and finally puked out whatever was bothering my stomach, it didn't look like meat at all, it was mostly just yellowish green liquids, with what looked like it might have been a bit of brownish liquefied meat in it, but only a very little.

I have no idea why I would have gotten so sick after eating that meat though.  It's the same exact meat I had eaten many times raw before, and it never caused me to become nauseated like that.  Could it just have been because I wasn't used to eating any meat since I hadn't eaten any for a week before that, and only cook-dried before that?  Or maybe it was just a bad steak?  Or was it because it was sitting in my fridge for a week?    The fridge is super cold though.  I've never gotten sick from eating meat before, raw or cooked or old or whatever, so I have no idea why this happened. 

edit:  After that, I also just threw away the rest of the steak from the same package, I was too afraid to eat any of it in case it was a bad thing of meat.. but I still have 2 more pounds of steaks that I'm afraid to eat now, and that have been sitting there for about a week and a half by now.. I don't want it to go bad after spending all that money though. 
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Meat Caused Nausea?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:44:14 am »
trader joes meat is really poor quality....they often add things like "rosemary" to hid the fact its super rotten, stick with the more expensive stuff while you can and.  do you cover or caontain your meat while its in the fridge? just let it sit out in the open in your refridgerator and not the dehydrator

i think the drying/aging process allows the meat to be broken down a bit and predigested by the bacteria and enzymes, so its easier to digest.  how well did you chew what you ate? maybe your stomach wasnt ready for a meal like that since its all you ate, perhaps eat something biter or acidic with your meal so that your stomach gets ready to digest

sounds like you just puked up bile which is pretty typical as far as barfing goes

as far as the rest goes, perhaps you are having too much emphasis on maintaining a "raw diet" instead of eating in a way that makes you feel healthy and happy.  perhaps you should just figure out

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:33:27 am »
Not eating the Trader Joes that had been cooked sounded like such a good idea - only to go back to the "good" stuff and throw up huh?

The thing that stands out to me is that you ate just before going to bed. Do you usually do that? For a lot of people that wouldn't work that well because sleep is a time where the digestion is supposed to take a rest. Maybe try that same kind of meat again in the middle of the day to see how it makes you feel? When you ate it before and it settled fine - did you eat it during the day or at night?

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:46:28 am »
The only trader joe's meat I really ate was their 100% grass-fed ground beef, are you sure it's not so good?  And I just leave the meat in the package it comes in, I can't just put my meat out in the open because I live with my dad and he'll freak out over the smell and the fact that it's left out in the open, he'd say it's gone bad and throw it away.

And I'm not just emphasizing being "raw" because I was perfectly fine with eating the jerky which had been cooked.  But I felt it was not making me healthy or happy, so I eliminated it, and I am not going to eat cooked/heated milk or honey or fruit or grains or eggs.  Anything cooked doesn't really do well for me, I used to eat cooked eggs sometimes, but they didn't help the way raw eggs do.  I'd eat cooked veggies or rice sometimes, and those didn't help either.  I've done a LOT of experimenting and changing my diet around to find what works the best for me.

I didn't eat -just- before I went to bed, I said I ate a few hours before going to bed.  The meat had plenty of time to settle in my stomach, I rarely ever eat RIGHT before going to bed, though it usually doesn't bother me when I do, I hear it's not so good to do that so I try to make sure I don't eat right before sleeping and eat a few hours before sleeping.  I can't always eat the steak whenever I want to either, because like I said, I live with my dad and he will freak out if he sees me eating a raw steak or walking up to my room with a raw steak.. I used to eat those steaks all the time though and they were fine for me, whether I ate them immediately before going to bed or in the morning or in the middle of the day.  I'm just afraid to eat anymore right now because of how it made me sick this time.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:52:46 am »
So you DID say a few hours before bed... and if you ate the same meat at all different times and you were fine I would guess that there was something about the batch you got.

I don't like buying meat from big box stores because it always made my dogs sick and they would refuse it. I don't have a Trader Joe's here so it might be different, I don't know - it's more about the cooking that didn't sound good to me.

Well, if you are too frightened to try again - what do you think you should do Wolf? Go back to cooking the meat in the dehydrator? Guess it's better than lots of other alternatives huh?

What happened with the idea of getting some chickens?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 05:37:54 am »
you definitely have to take it out of the original packaging, you can be sneaky and put it in a container with the lid opened or just set on top so there is air flow, it wont spoil and the semll will only develop after weeks, your dad wont notice.  it will dry out more then rot and form a nice crust, just please please take it out of the original packaging.  does stuff normally sit in your stomach or is your digestion good otherwise?  digestive enzymes might be helpful.  also i noticed in your sig you state your weight and height, i have known a lot of girl who at lower weight always have acne and its because they are having way too much testoserone and adrenaline and not enough estrogen, its taken them to put on some weight to allow their bodies to relax and for their skin to clear up...just a suggestion :)  so there is no way you can present your diet to you dad in a way he wont freak out? 

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 05:57:19 am »
The only trader joe's meat I really ate was their 100% grass-fed ground beef, are you sure it's not so good?  And I just leave the meat in the package it comes in, I can't just put my meat out in the open because I live with my dad and he'll freak out over the smell and the fact that it's left out in the open, he'd say it's gone bad and throw it away.

Can't help you with detox, that's just price of admission, but get some good tupper ware (I would usually say glass, but if you're trying to keep it out of your dad's spotlight the only other clean option would be ceramic with a tight-ish lid.) then the odor will be contained a bit, and try to turn things over as fast as possible.  My mama is pretty obnoxious about odors, and I find it helps to keep things contained. If they get a little slimy, I either eat them anyway, or just give them to the dogs depending on my disposition.

Also maybe work on meditating (especially on the concept of love and unity with an emphasis on empathy), if you don't like traditional meditation, do a sense meditation out in the forest. You can use a guided recording if it helps stay focused. Also the law of attraction would help you enormously!

EDIT: I was just thinking, why don't you just brainwash your dad wolf? It's not that hard, just start reading pro fat and protein books in front of him like "why we get fat" and "good calories, bad calories" by gary taubes and other books, then 'discuss' the important points with him until he understands why meat is a healthy thing to eat. Then start exposing him to published material on raw foods, heat created toxins and the benefits others have experienced from switching to raw meat. You can also use the same techniques as PR firms, mass media, the military and other agencies use to hypnotize the populace. Bet you, ya' can! Also check in to social engineering (cleaner term for manipulating public perception). Guide his understanding so he has no choice but to at least acknowledge that there may be something to it. You'll learn a lot in the process too!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:05:12 am by Thoth »

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:28:25 am »
Well, it's been very difficult for me to find even the few amount of stores that sell grass-fed beef that I have found, so I have to make do with what I can, not a lot of choice.  The steaks I buy are from a different store, not trader joe's, but a store that is completely 100% organic and has a lot of local produce (called Goodwin's Organics). 

For now, I have some eggs that my aunt and my uncle gave to me from their home raised chickens, I'll just have to survive on those for protein for now, until I'm brave enough to try the meat again.  Hopefully before the meat goes bad.  As far as getting my own chickens, I first want to find out their ideal diet, convince my mom of what's good to feed them and what isn't, then convince my dad to allow us to have them in the backyard convince him that they aren't going to smell or anything like that.  Then I suppose I'll also have to pay to have a chicken coop built if I'm good enough at all the convincing, then get some chickens hopefully from my aunt or my uncle, that have parents that were home raised on a good diet and all that.. I'll reply in my other thread after this one, lol.

as for taking the meat out of the packaging and keeping it in a glass or ceramic tupperware, I seem to have a problem with eating meat that isn't completely fresh and red looking/tasting, it makes me gag and I don't like the taste and I can't eat it.. if I leave it in an open tupperware or even closed one, it will eventually turn brownish and start to get that taste that I don't like, and then I won't be able to eat it.. I hate it though, and I really wish I could eat aged meat or high meat, but I just can't seem to get passed that gag reflex if it isn't fresh-seeming.   :'(   I know it's bad to sit in the air-tight plastic though, and a lot of times the plastic will make the taste even worse than glass-aged, but it will keep that fresher seeming taste longer in the original package if it stays cold enough.

Things never sit in my stomach for long, my digestion has always been good even when I was eating SAD, and I'll usually see whatever I eat, uh.. come back out by the next day. 

The part about skinny girls and acne though, it's caused by too much testosterone and adrenaline and not enough estrogen?  What can I do to fix all that, just gain weight?  Or should I eat something with estrogen in it, like soy or something?  I've been avoiding soy like the plague because of the phytoestrogen it contains, and I don't want to mess up my hormones and cause even worse acne, so I've been trying to clear it by eating only clean and healthy foods, though I still break out all the time.. It hasn't been nearly as bad since I went 100% raw, but I still get it and I'm trying my hardest to get rid of it, and it is pretty much -the- main reason for eating this diet.. or at least for sticking to it as well as I have been.

What is the meditation for?  I've never really tried meditating before, I haven't really seen a need for it because I don't usually stress out easily.

As far as telling my dad about my diet, for one I don't see him often enough and dont have enough time to really be trying to brainwash him everyday, for two, he thinks he knows more than me and no matter what I tell him or read to him, he's only going to believe what he wants to believe and dismiss whatever I say because he knows I'm biased towards undercooked meat and all that.  I've already told him a lot too, but he doesn't really care much.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

How far away do your aunt and uncle live? Would they be willing to get a few more chickens so you could have the eggs? Could you do some sort of trade?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:12:42 am by Dorothy »

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »
They live too far away for me to waste the money on gas driving there once a week or two weeks to collect my eggs, which would also be a bit old by then.. though I know eggs last a long time at room temperature, I still want to find out how good they are fresh and having never been refrigerated.  Plus I don't really know exactly what my aunt and my uncle are feeding their chickens, though I know they feed them as much bugs as possible, but other than that I think the diet is mostly grains and stuff.  I'd still rather have my own chickens.

But if worst comes to worst, and my dad won't let us have chickens or anything, then I could always fall back to getting eggs from my aunt and/or my uncle when I can, since they're still a million times better than any other eggs.  I just wanted my own so that I could add a good source of eggs to my diet everyday.. especially since I have such trouble with meat and I need a good source of raw animal protein and fat.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »
if your food is coming out recognizable you should definitely be taking some digestive enzymes and maybe even a probiotic

raw meat is definitely good for acne as it contains a ton of minerals, soy is definitely not a good choice! calming nourishing foods like cooked roots will help a little for weight gain and estrogens, green and leafy foods will help clear the blood and give your face and skin more color and health.  eating a lot of egg yolks will help and fattier cuts of meat as cholesterol is a precursors to all hormones.  probiotic might help your body fight what bacteria is in the acne.  for me getting a good amount of sunshine on my face has always cleared up spots.  there is a website..paleopepper.com where this girl has battled acne for a while, she found out going too low carb and getting skinny werent the best things overall and that a good balanced paleo diet and some extra weight really helped relax her body to where it wasnt producing acne anymore because it wasnt totally stressed......

thats the problem with trader joes meat, it goes brown.  i get some good grassfed meats from a few places and it only goes brown if i leave it in a warm location, itll stay red and fresh if i leave it in an opened/slightly covered container in the fridgerator, it just dried out kind of like being in a cold dehyrator.

have you ever checked eatwild.com or looked for local farms or ranches or gone to farmers markets to find local eggs and meat?

you should invest in a little mini ridge for your own room !

CitrusHigh

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »
yeah, ditto to what Jessica said about the mini fridge, that's a stellar idea, you can get them for 40$ or less off craigslist but often free, at least out here.

Well, it's called brainwashing for a reason, you just hammer him with your propaganda relentlessly, this stuff works that's why the powers that be use it.  It's not about how often you're with him, it's about how many times you hit him with the same message, until his subconscious accepts it. I never thought in a million years my uber-squemish mom would eat raw meat. She now eats a few pieces of raw liver daily, of her own initiation, impossible shit happens, believe.

The meditation is not about stress and I can't really explain to you what benefits you'll receive from it. But there is not one person I know that wouldn't benefit highly from cultivating the stable brainwaves that come with meditation and I consider it an essential part of my health maintenance. The most important part of all of that though was the law of attraction, it's easy, only takes 5 mins or less each day and will give you the power to control your world to an unbelievable extent.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:04 am »
Wolf - it sounds like even though you and your Mom are adults, that you allow yourselves to live under the dictates of your father. Why does your father get to have the last say if you get chickens when you and your Mom want them, will take care of them and need them for health? Will he beat you or throw you out of the house or refuse to take care of you in some way if you get chickens when he doesn't want them? The way I say it you are 2 against 1. He's been outvoted.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:48:03 am »
My food doesn't come out recognizable at all unless there's seeds from the fruits I eat, which are the only thing you would call recognizable.  The seeds are what help me tell how fast things go through, otherwise I can only try to recognize things by colour.

I have been trying to be in the sun a lot more, too, my car is convertible and now that it's summer I've taken the top off so now I get sun on my face whenever I drive.  I kind of hate vegetables, so I haven't eaten any green/leafy stuff, and especially not any cooked roots.. the only edible cooked root I can even think of is potatoes.  I don't really eat low carb because I do eat fruit and honey too, and I drink raw milk and eat raw cheese.  It's just difficult because the stuff is so expensive that I can't really afford to buy enough to fatten up on, which is one of the reasons I want my own chickens too, so I can have good high quality eggs to eat everyday for a good source of raw animal proteins and fats.

As far as cuts of meat go, I'm really picky with the meat I like the taste of, and I also don't have a lot of choice.  There's no farms anywhere near close enough to me to drive to once a week to get my meat from, I've tried looking on eatwild and everything.  The meat I was talking about going brown and tasting bad was not from trader joe's at all.

I'm pretty sure my dad wouldn't let me buy my own fridge to keep in my room, we already have two fridges, and another, even small one, would probably take up too much electricity.  My dad also does not want me eating in my room, and wants no food in my room (even though I always eat and have food in my room anyways) but he definitely would not let me have a fridge in my room. 

I am trying to tell both my parent as often as I can about eating better, only my Mom is more receptive of the things I tell her (except in some matters of raw vs cooked) but the problem is that she has no extra money to buy organic or grass-fed or anything like that.. she can only buy what she can afford, and commercial food is a lot less expensive.  My Dad just doesn't care too much, even if I were to convince him of what is healthy and what isn't he doesn't even care about eating healthy and always says how he's just going to die someday anyways, and he doesn't want to be old and live to be 100 years old or anything like that.

I might try meditation, though I don't even really know how, and the one type of meditation I looked into could only be taught if you paid large sums of money, and I couldn't really find any really good free instruction, so I gave up.. and I don't remember what it was called, either.  but I might try looking into just meditation altogether.

Yes, my Mom and me are adults -- The thing is, my parents have been divorced since I was 7 years old, they are not back together but they are good friends, and through great misfortune my Mom has lost her company and all her money and her house, she had no where else to go and no where to live, and my Dad was gracious enough to let my Mom move in with us.  This house, every last penny put into this house has been only my Dad's money, the house is completely his and his alone, and I do not even pay rent because I need the money to buy my food, I don't know the exact situation with my Mom but I think she pays a much lower rent than my Dad would have liked to be paid to pay for the extra electricity and water and bills like that.  But all the money put into the house itself has been paid by my Dad so this house is his, and he has every say in what goes on in it, no matter of "vote" because we are both only here because he lets us be here.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:45 am »
I gotcha Wolf about your Dad getting the last word now Wolf. Thanks for explaining it.

I think maybe you need a better dehydrator or to let your food dehydrate outside in the sun. Would that be ok with your father? Then you could have it still be raw yet be preserved.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »
Out in the sun would actually be perfectly fine with my dad, my only problem is I don't want flies getting on it and laying eggs in my meat and end up with maggot-filled jerky.  Not that I think it would be unhealthy, but I'm just too queasy to eat bugs of any kind, and the thought of flies having landed on it and laid their eggs on it makes me too queasy to eat it.  That's also the whole reason I stopped eating dates, even though I find them delicious and addictive, but I found out that most of the ones I was eating had worms with worm eggs in the middle and it made feel sick and then I couldn't eat them anymore.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 01:13:22 pm »

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »
That might work.. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk