Author Topic: complaint about annoying verification requests  (Read 8364 times)

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
complaint about annoying verification requests
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
I've only been here for a few minutes and I am already unimpressed with the god-awful verification and math questions that I have to fill out every time I write a post. This is such an ordeal. I didn't sign up here to do homework.
I probably won't be able to handle this nuisance for much longer.

Do you know that there are better ways to fight against spammers than to turn off forum users through terrible verification requests and constant annoying test questions? 

Type the letters shown in the picture:
I don't want to!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:32:56 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: complaint about annoying verification requests
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
I think it disappears after your 10th post.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lb_on_the_cb

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:41:34 am »
I've only been here for a few minutes and I am already unimpressed with the god-awful verification and math questions that I have to fill out every time I write a post. This is such an ordeal. I didn't sign up here to do homework.
I probably won't be able to handle this nuisance for much longer.

Do you know that there are better ways to fight against spammers than to turn off forum users through terrible verification requests and constant annoying test questions? 

Type the letters shown in the picture:
I don't want to!

i agree with this.  do you get so many spammers otherwise?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:31 am »
We're sorry, but at one point we were banning literally 4-5 spammers daily, for several years in a row. Deleting thread, deleting posts, etc. was taking up 10 minutes plus daily for me personally at least. I haven't had to ban a spammer in probably 3-4 months now.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:59:06 am »
We're sorry, but at one point we were banning literally 4-5 spammers daily, for several years in a row. Deleting thread, deleting posts, etc. was taking up 10 minutes plus daily for me personally at least. I haven't had to ban a spammer in probably 3-4 months now.
Ditto.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lb_on_the_cb

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:03:40 am »
makes sense

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 05:07:42 am »
There are spam blacklists which show IP addresses of known spammers.  At dirtycarnivore, we ended up blocking large portions of China and Russia due to major spamming from IPs in those regions.  It really solved the problem quickly.  Oh, and we had approval required before posting.  That takes minor time, but you can check against stopforumspam.com and block most users with spamulous intentions before they ever post.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:56 am »
It's almost certain that the vast majority of  those spammer posts are coming from the deep state and being made to look like they are coming from China and Russia. They are also most certainly mechanically generated and not coming from an actual human being.  Two or three posts should be adequate to take care of the problem. 10 posts is probably over kill. If a machine can figure out how to get past 2 posts it can just as easily do 10. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:08 am »
They used to be from link farms.
Lots of cheap indian labor.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:37:02 am »
If you do the math there are not enough internet connections in India or anywhere else to be doing it manually. Even the link farms are most likely outsourced from deep state and using sophisticated software for remote, automated spamming.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:33 am »
This forum is unique enough that someone who values it can get through a few posts with the annoying verification requests, it's not a problem. For people who are unwilling to go through it, there are plenty of other more commonplace forums where they won't find this issue.

What this generates is an effect of higher quality posts from newer users. If they're willing to take the time to do the annoying verifications, they're problably posting something that they put some thought into.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk