Author Topic: Meat Is Medicine For Desertification  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
Meat Is Medicine For Desertification
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:33:34 am »
http://vimeo.com/8239427

This blew my mind. Allan Savoy talks about how cattle is the solution not the problem.

Picked up in the comment section at; http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-hope-meat-is-medicine-for.html

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Meat Is Medicine For Desertification
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:27:06 am »
http://vimeo.com/8239427

This blew my mind. Allan Savoy talks about how cattle is the solution not the problem.

Picked up in the comment section at; http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-hope-meat-is-medicine-for.html

A really great lecture! Thank your this video!

I will send it immediately to a friend who is lecturing about this topic in Germany.

Löwenherz

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:49:57 am »
Another great idea that will get buried alive

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
That lecture is very encouraging.

"Allan Savory argued that, ... properly managed, [livestock] are essential to land restoration. With the right techniques, plant growth is lusher, the water table is higher, wildlife thrives, soil carbon increases and, surprisingly, perhaps four times as many cattle can be kept."

If that's true then while the whole world may not be able to eat Paleo, it sounds like quite a lot more can. This is rare good news.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:43:41 am »
I realized that I think he left out part of the equation: what caused the environmental degredation and collapse of the Central America civilizations? It wasn't lack of cattle, because they never had them. My guess is that it was intensive monoculture, which led to soil erosion, nutrient depletion, drought and other problems. So lack of grazing animals on lands that once had them is part of the issue, but imposing large-scale monocrops and intensive farming on an environ is another part. Since the tropical areas never had grazing animals, I doubt that adding them is the long term environmental solution for those regions.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Livestock Is Medicine For Desertification
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:44 am »
Livestock Is Medicine For Desertification - should be the title.
Thank you for the video.
It's absolutely great!
I will post it in my blog.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »
Mind=Blown
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:25:33 am »
Since the tropical areas never had grazing animals, I doubt that adding them is the long term environmental solution for those regions.

Oh yes, there are grazing animals in tropical regions as well! Especially at higher altitudes...

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:00 am »
If you're referring to the llama and other S. American camelids, my understanding is that much of the high altitude native grasslands that those camelids graze is cold and sometimes even dry, not entirely tropical, and the native habitat ranges are apparently much more limited than those of the aurochs and the domestic cattle that descended from them, and the bison, deer, antelope, water buffalo, horse, and other large grazing animals. Intensive grazing could help in areas that are well adapted to grazing by camelids or other large animals. I was referring to those tropical areas that have no history of indigenous grazing animals. Savory did specify at the beginning that his lecture was not going to be about the 1/3 of the world that gets substantial year-round precipitation, so it's understandable that he didn't discuss much how monocrop agriculture caused devastating effects in areas where there were not a lot of indigenous large grass-grazing cattle, such as with the Aztec and Mayan Empires. Lierre Keith does cover the subject in The Vegetarian Myth, so if you combine Savory's work with Keith's you do get a fuller picture.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:53:16 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:32:26 am »
Amazing! Thank you for sharing this lecture!

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:05:12 pm »
Thanks much for sharing. I will be sharing this with someone I know who actually gets some say in large livestock management and related subjects, she even meets with Obama to discuss these some of these issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk