Author Topic: Gained 10lbs. of MUSCLE in less than a week!  (Read 82697 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Gained 10lbs. of MUSCLE in less than a week!
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »
I just consulted with my wife's cousin who is a body builder.
He says the rule of thumb to gain muscle is 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight.
So my 125 lbs needs at least 125 grams of protein.
If 100 grams of lean sirloin beef = 21 grams of protein
I will need at least 600 grams of lean sirloin beef a day to bulk up.
He says eat protein first thing in the morning, then every 3 hours.
It's a worthy experiment for me to do.
I will gun for 1 kilo of lean beef equivalent a day.
In the mix I could use raw tuna as it is easier to digest I can do the every 3 hour eating.
small fish with guts and oysters are cheap, I'll try to get duck eggs again.
1 kilo of beef is around P 300 / kilo or something like $ 6.50 cents a day for you guys in the USA.
My max a day is usually just 1/2 kilo of beef with 1/4 of the volume being fat.  
This is a worthy experiment easy enough for me to do.
I will try to start tomorrow.

What I learned about the body building thing is that they all find real meat expensive and bulky.  So many of them resort to those whey proteins which are cheap, convenient and compact.  Of course this is not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:01:46 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2010, 10:56:36 pm »
That's the hoops I have to jump through.  What if i want to talk about it and I can't find a study to back it up, so I get banned.  You think studying modern people is a good representation of our genetics?  Nutrition is a big factor in the development of human beings.  If this study was made during paleo times would things be different?  You don't think black's bones are denser because they don't care about the food pyramid like white's do?  Are my points not valid?  Maybe it's the chitterlings with their fat soluble vitamins that keeps their bones strong.  When was the last time you heard white people eating guts?  I don't see how your study proves anything. 

I am not retracting my statement. 

I am not finding any study to prove my point.  Why does everything need proof?  They have PROOF about fat and cholesterol, but that doesn't make it true.  We all know that.  That's why we're all here for the same reason, because we know the PROOF is wrong. 

Go ahead and ban me if I can't even speak my mind here.  I thought this is a laid back place to meet others and talk about RPD, not some authoritative censored forum.  I think you're out of line. 

BTW, I already messaged the main man. 

You are in fact required to back up your statements.  We are not a bunch of friends casually discussing things.  Some people might become friends over time, but I don't want people to become too comfortable with me here.  I want to be known as someone who expects statements of fact about diet to actually be backed up with both scientific studies and anecdotal evidence. I'm here to learn factual information about nutrition.  I can direct you to several social forums, if you aren't interested in backing up statements of fact.

I've been studying diet since before you ever heard of a raw food diet, and I take fact very seriously.  There are a lot of lies about diet in the world, and getting to the truth about it is a years-long task. 

Dude, your stereotyping of black people as a bunch of chitterling-eaters is laughably wrong.  How do I know this?  Because I grew up around black kids, and have worked with a lot of black folks my entire adult life.  Some do eat chitterlings, plenty of them don't. 

You really need to CAREFULLY read the links I posted, and rethink your statement. Black people do not have randomly larger calf muscles, or throat muscles, etc.  They have larger buttocks muscles.  If we were talking about a dietary effect, it would affect all muscle groups more equally, most likely.

Good God, this is ridiculous.  I can't believe I'm actually having to tell people that not all black people eat chitterlings.  What Universe did I just get transported into?

Seriously, it is not helping the credibility of our forum to have members stereotyping other races.

Offline alpha78

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:01 am »
goodsamaritan

Raw milk and liver tablets every 3 hours can do it too many bodybuilders do that too. some make it with raw liver in milk,eggs and honey every 3 hour.
I too will soon start to bulk up but this is done with trainning in a 8 week cyckle then a break for 2 or 3 weeks i just want more fat in my meat :-)

alpha

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:47 am »
Good God, this is ridiculous.  I can't believe I'm actually having to tell people that not all black people eat chitterlings.  What Universe did I just get transported into?

Seriously, it is not helping the credibility of our forum to have members stereotyping other races.

I agree it's ridiculous.
It's also one new member making the comment so I don't see it damning the credibility of the whole forum.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

William

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:51 am »
 We are here to learn about diet, not to be preached at. :)

We can all agree on the first part, but as for preaching, if thundering great statements of belief unsupported by credible evidence qualify, TD's philosophy needs to be examined.  ;)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2010, 03:56:29 am »
Redfulcrum,

You seem like the kind of dude who'll go balls to the wall for a bit of knowledge, I respect that.  I'm not questioning whether or not you put on 10 lbs in a week, or whether you were able to eat tons of meat in a day. 

I do question the claim that it was muscle.  I could put on 5 lbs this very week with a MUCH less extreme version of what you're doing, but it's comprised of water, glycogen (all glycogen is stored with an equal amt of water), bowel weight, fat, and muscle.  Muscle being only a fraction of the total weight.

For quite awhile I've been eating plenty of raw meat and grains (Father forgive me for I have sinned).  Maybe I'll post the details of what I've been up to the past few months on another thread.  Anyways, one of the first things I notice when going back to a VLC, high fat diet (from a diet high in grains), is that my bowels will quickly clean out in a day or 2, and I'll lose 2-3 lbs of what was primarily stored food in the intestines.  Getting back in to ketosis also means lower glycogen levels, which means less inflated looking muscles.  I lift heavy in the gym (heavy for me).  At 173lbs I deadlift 300lbs for 2 sets of 5, squat 245lb for 2 sets of 8.  After a week of adjusting to ketosis, my size and body weight have gone down slightly, but my strength is the same as right before cutting the carbs. 

What does this tell me?  It tells me that I have roughly the same amount of muscle fibers as before, even though I am a good 5 lbs lighter.  So when you say that you've put on 10 lbs of muscle, but then confess that you've been eating grains and drinking beer, I already know from research and experience the effect that has on the body.   Yes, carbs have an anabolic response, and if not used for energy or glycogen, will get converted to fat.  There is no real impetus on the body to store carbs as glycogen unless you are using it up during exercise which must then be replenished.   

Furthermore, you haven't posted any results about how much you can lift, so it's even harder to say whether this really was all muscle or not.  And trust me, 10lbs of muscle would be DRAMATIC in the difference of what you could lift.  Not only that, you're an IF'er.  From what you've said, your weight fluctuates dramatically because of this.  Makes sense that you're body is well adapted to feast and famine. 

And of course, given some of your remarks, I have to allow for a little bit of embellishement on your part.  Realistically, I believe that you may have put on 9 lbs in 8 days, eating UP to 6-8 lbs of meat in maybe 1 or 2, 24 hour periods.  Probably put on a couple lbs of muscle (b/c yes, eating is definitely anabolic), a pound of water weight, a couple pounds of fat, and the rest as gut weight. 

It seems like you've done some research on metabolic pathways and macronutrient utilization.  If you really are a truth seeker, and as long as you're going to put yourself through such extremes, I would attempt to put a few metrics on your results.  Take weight, waist, chest, and arm circumfrence measurements every morning.  Go to the gym a couple times a week, and see if you're getting stronger.  Make posts about your strategies, results, and questions.  Talk WITH us about what you're doing, instead of talking AT us about what you're doing.

We'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you did put on 10lbs in a week, but it's doubtful that it was mostly muscle.  And even if 3-4 lbs was muscle, we can very well suspect that it was related to already being underweight from fasting. 

If you can show us changes in body measurements, lifting capability, and maybe even a picture for those visual learners that back up your statements; AND you can sustain this type of growth over a few months; then you will gain some credibility.

Cherimoya, please do us a favor and don't ban Redfulcrum.  A little overdone on the anecdoetes and tone, a little underdone on the evidence and explanations, but I think overall a genuine guy.  Let's see if he can cowboy up and contribute to our knowledge base before excluding him. 

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2010, 09:37:42 am »
Thanks Guittar man,  well written my exact sentiments.  I remember in high school, friends put on on over 30 pounds over the summer.  Most of it came from Beer.  But again,  I like the tone of your words, supportive yet encouraging one to take responsibility for their claims.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:50 am »
Does science back up the claim that excess protein is converted to glucose?   or is there a certain % of protein that is converted to glucose regardless of the quantity consummed?     

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:16 am »
wow guitarman, that was a great post. thank you for that insight

Offline Christopher

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:13 am »
Does science back up the claim that excess protein is converted to glucose?   or is there a certain % of protein that is converted to glucose regardless of the quantity consummed?     

See that's the main problem, I don't think science really knows because I've read different things from different medical bloggers and different pubmed articles. Some say that all extra protein is converted to glucose, others say only the amount needed by the body is converted to glucose while the rest of the protein not needed is discarded and I've also read that only the amount needed of protein is converted to the body while the rest ends up being stored as fat. So who knows, I guess it would be interesting if a solid amount of people on this forum tried doing this type of experiment for a week and just see what happens

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2010, 12:03:45 pm »
I'm quite satisfied with Lex's accounts.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:39 pm »
i dont know, with all the comments about asses and getting chicks i call ROIDS on this dude and say maybe he grew ten #'s of nutsack and zits from all the testosterone?

just kidding i like black booties too

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:07 am »
...I was only 145 when I graduated high school.  I always thought it was genetics like everyone says.  That's why that one guy pissed me off earlier about the genetics thing and butts.  That's so much BS.  If that were so true bodybuilding wouldn't exist.  Some of those guys used to be fat or small like I was.
You seem to be reading more into it than I intended. I'm not claiming that genetics determines everything and environment has no effect. Neither would I claim that genetics plays no role. Both genetics and environment are factors.

If our population started out at around 40,000 and now we're numbering 6 billion, how in the world can everyone be healthy.  It's impossible, ... The more people, the uglier they get, the dumber they get, the sicker they get.  It's degeneration of the whole species.  ...
All we can do is try to make the best of a difficult situation.

I am not finding any study to prove my point.  Why does everything need proof?
That's troll talk. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan (see here for why: http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2008/01/extraordinary-c.html )
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline aunaturale

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:34 am »
Whats the most efficient post workout meal you all have experienced?
is there such a meal that will induce the same effects of a post-carb
meal.... maybe eating enough protein to induce the insulin?

is that possible?
"The more I learn what is a man, the more I want to be an animal."

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2010, 06:41:37 am »
Doesn't too much protein without ample fat stress your heart...?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:44 am »
Whats the most efficient post workout meal you all have experienced?
is there such a meal that will induce the same effects of a post-carb
meal.... maybe eating enough protein to induce the insulin?

is that possible?

I don't usually eat after a workout (running and cycling though, not lifting). If I find I'm hungry though it's more of the same; beef fat and meat. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline aunaturale

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:42 am »
If i put myself in a caveman's shoes...
and I just ran my ass off taking down a wholly mammoth

the first thing Id do is rip that animal open and start eating
till I threw up lol... I doubt that that caveman would reach for a potato
quinoa or yam

but ate enough protein + fat to induce something? just my 2 cents
"The more I learn what is a man, the more I want to be an animal."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2010, 05:52:45 pm »
We can't always cite studies to prove a point.There are many unusual things that RVAFers have discovered which simply defy any kind of scientific explanation(at least via current knowledge). And then there are always new studies which overturn the evidence presented by previous studies at a constant rate. That said, in the absence of a study, anecdotal reports among RVAFers are useful, especially if backed by others' experiences.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Diana

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »
Redfulcrum, your experiment is very interesting. Finally know how to help my husband   ;D  (who is too skinny and who HATES exercise for the sake of building some more muscle).

That being said, I really do not believe it can be healthy to put on 10 lb of muscle just like that.  Doesn't muscle mass increase the metabolic rate and decrease lifespan?

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!!!!!

I haven't been posting because I was dying from extreme rabbit starvation.  DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS EXPERIMENT!  PLEASE, don't.  I do not want anyone to go thru what I did.  If want muscle, and fast?  You better just keep it old school and eat fatty meats. 

The diet does work, but it's dangerous and uncontrollable.  The muscles does grow and I did grow a lot.  I couldn't handle the change in hormones levels, just like if I were on steroids.  You'll get more testosterone and if you keep going it causes an amphetamine effect.  I couldn't sleep for 4 days.  I remember feeling that serotonin or dopamine rush before I went to the hospital.  I almost had a stroke or heart attack from hypertension and extreme pulse rate.  It was just like a meth high. 

I'll write about it later.  I am still recovering from the damages.  I have internal bleeding and thrush everwhere.  I'll let you guy's know about it more after I recover.  I am sorry I started this thread.  Thanks for the warnings.  I hope nobody else was crazy enough to attempt this.

Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »
I upped my protein intake just like the raw meat using body builders.
Striving to get at least 125 grams of protein a day to match my 125 lbs.
1 kg a day.  Can't eat more than that.
On my 2nd day now with me in touch with my coach.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:49 pm »
DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!!!!!

I haven't been posting because I was dying from extreme rabbit starvation.  DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS EXPERIMENT!  PLEASE, don't.  I do not want anyone to go thru what I did.  If want muscle, and fast?  You better just keep it old school and eat fatty meats. 

The diet does work, but it's dangerous and uncontrollable.  The muscles does grow and I did grow a lot.  I couldn't handle the change in hormones levels, just like if I were on steroids.  You'll get more testosterone and if you keep going it causes an amphetamine effect.  I couldn't sleep for 4 days.  I remember feeling that serotonin or dopamine rush before I went to the hospital.  I almost had a stroke or heart attack from hypertension and extreme pulse rate.  It was just like a meth high. 

I'll write about it later.  I am still recovering from the damages.  I have internal bleeding and thrush everwhere.  I'll let you guy's know about it more after I recover.  I am sorry I started this thread.  Thanks for the warnings.  I hope nobody else was crazy enough to attempt this.

Is this for real or is there where you snicker and say : suckers!!! :

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:14 pm »
He's been quashed by the feds... they didn't want the secret getting out as it could be disastrous to civilisation =)
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:09 pm »
THIS IS FOR REAL!  I almost had a heart attack.  Those dumb ass doctors thought I was meth.  I told them, but they're all clueless about it.  Whatever, that's what hospitals are for, to not listen to the patient.  Anyways, I just detoxed by time and water.  Took me about 3 days to clear all the excess protein.  I finally slept last night.  I need to repopulate my digestive system.  Anybody got any ideas? 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2010, 11:01:56 pm »
eat more fat and more carbs?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk