Author Topic: Sunbeds  (Read 23976 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Sunbeds
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:56:46 am »
Ich bin bedenken den Gebrauch eines sunbed während der Wintermonate. Für Vitamin D.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sunbeds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:01 am »
I wouldn't use a sunbed even in the winter. Just eat lots of fish and eggs they contain vitamin D.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »
I would never use a sunbed. (im afraid somebody or something will lock the door and im gona burn like a grilled chiken) :o

In a winter our skin can produce just a little amount of vitamin D, but I think when you eat organ meat and animal fat daily, you shouldnt have deficiency.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:23:48 pm by gep »

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
I took human nutrition class and according to their sources it was 10% absorption rate for vitamin D

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 06:07:15 pm »
I took human nutrition class and according to their sources it was 10% absorption rate for vitamin D

From the organ meats and the animal fats or from the sunbeds?  Or could the class's source possibly have been referring to capsules that were heated or spoons of the liquid form?  In all cases that I just stated?

I would never use a sunbed. (im afraid somebody or something will lock the door and im gona burn like a grilled chiken) :o

In a winter our skin can produce just a little amount of vitamin D, but I think when you eat organ meat and animal fat daily, you shouldnt have deficiency.

I tried a sun-bed in a professional place for five minutes over two decades ago.  In that amount of time it baked my bones and liver to a crisp I think, I itched inside like there was no tomorrow and got so deeply nauseas, both those symptoms especially that type of itching felt like the worst nightmare.  Problems I may have in my bones now may have been triggered by that light exposure.  My skin was very thin (my bones so thin I asked for osteoporosis exam around that time) and I had no fat on my body and very little muscle.  I was vegetarian (no egg, fish, meat, honey etc).  Being paleo might help protecting from that.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:13:22 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:09 pm »
I think thats because normally in sunny months skin can produce 80-100% daily request for the vitamin, so body dont have to absort it from food. If there is no sun, the absortion should be more efficient.

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 03:24:50 am »
Sunbeds

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 03:54:12 am »

I've heard reports that the traditional medical groups are really coming down on tanning salons, saying that no amount is healthy.

and I've also heard the opposite from some hygienist/frutiarian types that will actually recommend artificial tanning over D supplementation in times of no possible sun exposure.

I think with the first, there is some misunderstanding of how the sun/artificial light will successfully push toxins through the skin but not necessarily be the source. Perhaps the artificial light creates some kind of mutation with this process, but even so the medical community links traditional sun exposure (minus sunscreen) with skin cancer as well. Whereas it is clear that the peoples who have maintained their traditional diets do not succumb to such things, even with the supposed shifting harmful UVs. That said, the frutarian types tend to have dried out alligator type skin also, so eating high fats/minerals from animal foods, is probably more necessary than just abstaining from modern toxins.

Theres a few different types of models for equipment, again according to these new medical rulings, there isn't much difference for the higher priced versions. I've done one of them where you stand up and the whole cylinder lights up and circulates air. Its actually kind of a wonderful experience, but I've never really thought to go back for it. Well, actually I did but just got lazy and held out for this spring, and the natural rays are working their magic.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:54:41 am »
I would use one instead of vitamin D supplements.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:48:53 am »
One thing is(from what I've read).. Initially they tried to make sunbeds give off similar radiation to the sun, but now that people think that the sun is damaging to skin, they're altering the sun-beds, making them more and more different to the sun in order to make them 'safer'. It seems they're changing the frequencies and ranges of the radiation further and further from the natural solar radiation in an attempt to stop it causing damage to the skin. This seems bad. Also... Most people seem to put sunscreen on before they go in them(wtf!?), so I expect they up the power for that reason too.

Is there anyone here who doesn't have a garden and finds another way to get relaxed, full or near-full body exposure to the sun close to their home? I have a garden at the moment, sheltered from view but open to the sun. In a few months however I'll likely be living in a more built up area with no garden. In the winter like I said I'll likely use sunbeds, but what about the summer when I can get natural rays, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'd like to be able to get my sunbathing done after eating, while I'm digesting my food and I'd like to not have to make some big trek in order to find a sun-bathing spot, and be pretty much stationary.

[Btw Gep, who is your profile picture?]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:59:34 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 05:53:18 am »
Also... Most people seem to put sunscreen on before they go in them(wtf!?)

lol

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:13 pm »
They put sunscreen, because they dont understand what it is :D I asked once my friend why is she doing that before going to sunbed, and she replied 'For a better effect, of course!' lol

[miles: and whos on yours?  :P
I dont know him...but I definitely would like to l) ]

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 04:47:51 pm »
[Heh heh. What did you Google?

My picture is of Toshihiko Koga after winning the Gold medal in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, by Hantei(not hentai), referee's decision.]

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »
[by Hantei(not hentai)] 

;D ;D ;D

[I found it while watching an amateur photo galleries :) ]

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »
Do 'you people' think it's bad sunbathing in chilly weather(windy, slight/drifting mild cloud coverage, early spring)? I was wondering, because people go red as the blood pumps to the surface in a reaction to the stimulation/damage etcetera from the sun. But if it's chilly/windy and even though the sun is beating down it stays cold then the blood won't go to the surface, it'll stay behind the fat until after the bather's covered up and warmed up. I was wondering if this might be negative and cause 'sun burn', because by the time the blood is at the skin, the damage has already been done and it's too late for the body to adapt with melanin. I wouldn't have thought the 'Vitamin D' synthesis would be so effective either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I took human nutrition class and according to their sources it was 10% absorption rate for vitamin D"; "Sunbeds" -Sven

Do you mean that: In a sun-bed, 10% of the energy reaching you is the sort which converted to vitamin D?

If so, do you know how this compares to the sun?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did also wonder how well the eyelids do at protecting the eyes from sun-damage.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:07:17 pm by miles »

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 05:47:31 am »
It has a 10% absorption rate from the light emitted from the sunbed(whereas the sun can be 80%-100%).  To figure out the real absorption rate we would have to take- (total absorption rate from sunbed divided by total energy output of sunbed) divided that by (total absorption rate from sun divided by total energy output of sun) which would give us the effective absorption comparison which would come out to something small.  I will look through my old notes and powerpoints tonight and get you the exact numbers and a source. keep posted.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:01 am »
chilly weather(windy, slight/drifting mild cloud coverage, early spring)? I was wondering, because people go red as the blood pumps to the surface in a reaction to the stimulation/damage etcetera from the sun. But if it's chilly/windy and even though the sun is beating down it stays cold then the blood won't go to the surface, it'll stay behind the fat until after the bather's covered up and warmed up. I was wondering if this might be negative and cause 'sun burn', because by the time the blood is at the skin, the damage has already been done and it's too late for the body to adapt with melanin. I wouldn't have thought the 'Vitamin D' synthesis would be so

I don't know.  It may help the majority of people.  As a vegan teen I still burnt to a crisp up North in the cool breezy not too bright Springtime with non-vegan friend who in the same time only got barely noticeable tan.  None of us here on the forum are vegans or cooked meat eaters, so what you suggest could do the trick.  Good theory :)  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:35:53 am »
I Like to get out as soon as its tolerable to do so at the tail end of winter. I'm not positive at this time if one can manufacture D as there is a variety of differing opinions but it seems to be helpful. I tend not to bathe at these temps (~45-50F) but just do some kind of activity with my shirt off.

I think getting out in chillier temps, and definitely in early spring ~60F is sort of necessary, otherwise one will have less cumulative exposure/cells to produce melanin and therefore (for light skinned people) burn even spending a few hrs under the hot summer sun or vacationing in the tropics or whatever.

Diet of course plays a major role. I find even after major exposure this time of year, light-burns go away mostly overnight with minimal symptoms and no peeling. The sunburn is actually just the blood filling up the capilaries, and is merely more overtaxed than the regular process of supplying the repair/melanin/appropriate level of exposure.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 07:45:57 am »
in early spring ~60F is sort of necessary, otherwise one will have less cumulative exposure/cells to produce melanin and therefore (for light skinned people) burn even spending a few hrs under the hot summer sun or vacationing in the tropics or whatever.

Diet of course plays a major role. I find even after major exposure this time of year, light-burns go away

I used to burn in 15-30 minutes, bad burns, and I mean in the evening.  The sun doesn't really attract me.  I have built up tolerance though, through my diet now, age, but previously with lots of good lotion and only early morning sun in the North.

I was just reading something else earlier about getting benefit from sun.  I'd like to share it:
Hilarion on Parkinsons' Disease
Excerpt from the Hilarion Summer Solstice 2009 Channeling, channeled by Jon C Fox (of Hilarion.com).

Hilarion : Parkinsons', has some interesting characteristics, at a spiritual level that have not been sufficiently explored. Only recently, with the injection of laser light into animals with Parkinsons', has this come forward. It is often a deficiency of blue light. That is an important aspect of this. Many of the things that can be helpful in this regard, are not fully understood. But exposure to sunlight, and a willingness to allow the sun energy to sit on the skin, and for 48 hours without bathing or showering afterwards, can be very helpful. This does not mean that someone with Parkinsons', should get sunburnt. 45 minutes a day, preferably completely nude, would be very helpful here. 2 hours, no bathing or showering, then exposure to sun, then 48 hours without bathing or showering. Intent to be to allow that vitamin D to be fully absorbed. Also, the effects of the sun. The sun has a significant portion of its spectrum, in the blue area, and some of this is to some extent filtered, so it is best that one does not filter it, by being outside, this would be helpful. If filtration, particularly of certain portions of the violet spectrum and in particular ultraviolet B, are filtered by window glass. The Parkinsons patient, should not be exposed to sunlight filtered through window glass if at all possible. This will create excess UV A, which counteracts the UV B, and will to some extent reduce the benefits of the blue radiation that was received while in the sun.
Other aspects that can be tremendously helpful here, are the simple things that come from the regenerative diet that has raw fats in it, to built nerves. Parkinsons' is a destruction of certain nerve areas in the brain, and to rebuild these is necessary. Hence the cleansing aspects, through various means, in particular oxygen containing substances, has proved valuable. But the rebuilding aspect, has not been sufficiently explored. In particular, the raw fats that that individual are then best designed for, these can be from a variety of sources, but one of those we see as very helpful for many Parkinsons' patients, is that from raw

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »
RawZi, did you have just sunburns or also skin rash? im asking because two of my friends are vegan and both are allergic to the sun.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 12:25:42 am »
What do you think about the 'going 48hrs without bathing/showing after sunbathing part'? How much of an effect do you think this would have? Do you understand it at all?

Also... If it is physically comfortable to do so, do you think it is safe to lie face-up with the sun beating down on one's face, with only the eyelids to cover the eyes?

_____

Edit: I'm getting really pissed off.. I've been reading tons of web-pages. Whenever people say shower or bathe, they just assume that soap is used, so I can not figure out if showering/bathing is a problem if you don't use soap... It's pretty definite that washing with soap is a problem, but just with water I can not figure out...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:09:11 am by miles »

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 01:34:35 am »

If you use just hot water that will be enough to melt the oils and vitamin D on the skin. Cold water may not be so effective.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:28 am »
RawZi, did you have just sunburns or also skin rash? im asking because two of my friends are vegan and both are allergic to the sun.

I got itching, watery blisters, leathery skin (after), peeling, fever, nausea, it depends but at least the blisters I think every time.  I burnt bad whether I was active or not.  I was just thinking maybe it was activity, but that Spring one I mentioned I was laying to be out of the breeze, it was cool enough out.  My breasts developed early and I had been wearing bras for years.  It was hard to wear a bra until I was over that burn, as I was wearing a bikini that covered less when I got the burn.  Thankfully I don't think I even knew bras were for holding breasts up.  By my mid to late teens I had permanent scarring on my chest (upper plate area) from sunburn.  

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:15 am »
If you use just hot water that will be enough to melt the oils and vitamin D on the skin. Cold water may not be so effective.

I could only use perfectly cold water without a hint of warmth after burning i.e.sun.  Maybe it was my body preserving what little D was there.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:24 am »
What do you think about the 'going 48hrs without bathing/showing after sunbathing part'? How much of an effect do you think this would have? Do you understand it at all?

Also... If it is physically comfortable to do so, do you think it is safe to lie face-up with the sun beating down on one's face, with only the eyelids to cover the eyes?

_____

Edit: I'm getting really pissed off.. I've been reading tons of web-pages. Whenever people say shower or bathe, they just assume that soap is used, so I can not figure out if showering/bathing is a problem if you don't use soap... It's pretty definite that washing with soap is a problem, but just with water I can not figure out...

There's this guy Charles on GI2MR.  He's close friends with Dhrumil, GI2MR's creator.  Charles is likely a moderator there.  He had posted an article about not using soap after sun, as it takes off the Vitamin D.  I don't think he liked when I posted a short quip on that discussion that went on pages and pages about having used very fermented raw cream instead of soap that day, with maggots in it.  The cream worked though.  Not only was my skin clean from its use, but soft like a baby.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk