Author Topic: Wild Rabbit  (Read 4898 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild Rabbit
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:09:52 am »
Would anyone have any comment on this food, before I eat it? I just bought some from a butcher...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Wild Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:44:01 am »
Tyler will; he eats it fairly regularly. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:09 am »
Any problems with its liver? ie high amounts of vitamin a, trichinosis?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:04 am »
yeah, I was wondering.. whether I'm likely to come in contact with any faecal matter or anything... I haven't eaten anything raw from a carcass yet.. I don't know what to eat.

Aw man!... I wish I'd thought about this before I f*ing bought the things... =( I thought someone here'd know.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:52:47 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:34 am »
Any problems with its liver? ie high amounts of vitamin a, trichinosis?

Were you asking me? If you were, I don't know how to tell...

Edit: This forum could really do with a live-chat feature for urgent questions! =/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:22:07 am by miles »

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:29 am »
Were you asking me? If you were, I don't know how to tell...

Anyone basically ... lol

If you bought them from a butcher, dont they clean them up etc.,?

Maybe look up how to cut & prepare them, etc.?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »
I don't usually buy raw wild rabbit , I get raw wild hare instead. I found that raw wild rabbit didn't taste as lovely and gamey as raw wild hare and the wild hare had more meat on it and the meat was as a result easier to get off the bones. Wild rabbit is too lean for me as a meat, IMO. However, that's just my personal preference/bias. I'm sure you'll find raw wild rabbit a fine choice. Don't worry re trichinosis etc. Bear in mind that the farmers/butchers usually prepare the animals - mine usually cut out the intestines but leave the other organs inside. Basically, if the wild rabbit's head is cut off, you can be sure it's been prepared beforehand.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »
... hare had more meat on it and the meat was as a result easier to get off the bones. Wild rabbit is too lean for me as a meat, IMO. However, that's just my personal preference/bias. I'm sure you'll find raw wild rabbit a fine choice. Don't worry re trichinosis etc. Bear in mind that the farmers/butchers usually prepare the animals - mine usually cut out the intestines but leave the other organs inside. Basically, if the wild rabbit's head is cut off, you can be sure it's been prepared ...

Do you ever eat the bones?  Do the hares have suet or back-fat?  Does their marrow have fat?  I've heard squirrel brains are good.  Have you tried hare or rabbit brains?  I haven't tried these animals.  It might be cool to know what to expect, if I wind up trying any of them in the future.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »
    Do you ever eat the bones?  Do the hares have suet or back-fat?  Does their marrow have fat?  I've heard squirrel brains are good.  Have you tried hare or rabbit brains?  I haven't tried these animals.  It might be cool to know what to expect, if I wind up trying any of them in the future.
No, I don't eat hare or rabbit brains as the hunters routinely remove the heads before sale. And of course I don't eat the very tough bones or the marrow as the marrow is too small an amount to bother with.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk