Author Topic: Lots of complex carbohydrates, vegetables, and whole grains make you younger!  (Read 8270 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
On his website you can read that Gary Null, Ph.D. is "America's leading Health & Nutrition expert"! He has written practical guides to anti-aging and rejuvenation.

http://www.garynull.com/home/anti-aging-part-1-the-basics.html

"Eat lots of complex carbohydrates, vegetables, and whole grains. These foods are the building blocks of good health." etc.

I wonder what all these well educated, politically correct super-experts think if they look in the mirror!? But what I find much more important is their mental state. Here is an 2011 interview with anti-aging health-expert Gary Nul at age 63(?). The way he talks after 1:50 min in this video is very typical for these high frustration high carb health food people:

Gary Null interview at Union Square NYC April 15th 2011
Long live the carbs!

Löwenherz
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:57:55 pm by Löwenherz »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Aren't there good carbs as well as bad ones, at least for those who aren't carb intolerant?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
As I recall, Gary Null is known more as a supplement guy than anything else. He also has a reputation for his "shock jock" style of being against everything. What a stressed-out face he has... and I wonder why a guy with such nice, brown hair dyes his roots gray...  ???
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Everything that guy said was good, and he seems fine to me.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
And I wonder why a guy with such nice, brown hair dyes his roots gray...  ???

I think it's the other way around... ;)

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Everything that guy said was good, and he seems fine to me.
agreed.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
A two and a half minute clip can't redeem him in my mind. He has been around my entire adult life, and has earned a reputation with me as one of those armchair critics: against the mainstream, but without a bandwagon I'm willing to jump on. I bought his book, I listened to his radio show, I tried to follow his suggestions... but, geesh! I could never figure out what he was for, only what he was against.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
heh, Its odd because I instantly know exactly what you are talking about re: alot of other folks but I only associate this with raw dieters and/or low fat dieters and don't see it as much with Gary here. Diets 'high' in complex carbs seem too ubiquitous to associate with such although I guess people do tend to cite the outside world as 'too agressive' based on their cooked foods or whatever. I would have to concede that this is less so with high-volume grainy plant based eaters, although if people have various thyroid or heavy metals problems the grains probably make things way worse than for people 100's of years ago and certainly form the base for alot of mental stuff.

I've met plenty of yoga people that ate practically all grains and don't seem to have this problem, of course they do yoga so they at least have a enforced sense of calm and its less easy to tell. I've been on a diet probably similar to what he recommends (perhaps with more animal sources?) and it was way more calming than high fruit veg or omnivore.

anyway

He is sort of a gloomy gus/dave icke of the health world. More of an 'activist' informing you about everything destroying the universe than a health guru. I kind of agree with the above that he seems more passionate and legitimately angry, but I can see what L is saying to some degree. Personally I'm more bothered by people who are all like "eat my diet its the best and the only human diet" and they are all strung out and degenerating. Although chimps are highly emotional and easily irritated too, so not such a great human role model afterall I guess. Overall I think Gary seems more blown out from his 'activism' than some others you could have selected.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:47:45 pm by KD »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
    Sounds like he could get some stuff done though.

Gary Null Speaking Out at the NYS Assembly Hearing | 10-13-2009 | (part 2 of 3)
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Didn't anyone else hear that the music and background noise in what looked like NYC started up and the noise got really loud so he had to start screaming over it? I never listened to his shows or read his books. I used to read local articles by him on herbs in NY and learned a lot from him though. I only know his written articles.

He might not look as good as what people here eating raw paleo might hope to look in their 60's, but he looks better than most of the people I know in their 60's. He certainly has energy.

In my limited experience my impression of him was that he does put out into the world what he thinks is positive. He at least used to promote and educate about herbs and supplements. I also don't think it's a bad thing educating people as to what they should avoid.

The get angry and take action protesting and yelling to the hills in order to try to change things isn't my style. My impression though is that he has opened many people's eyes that would still be completely glued shut  - no?

Does he usually yell - or was that just yelling over the scream of New York?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Didn't anyone else hear that the music and background noise in what looked like NYC started up and the noise got really loud so he had to start screaming over it?
Yes, and I didn't find anything in the interview suggestive of a seriously abnormal mental state. At worst he might appear angry, though the noise might have been a factor in that and he gave good reasons as to why people should be angry.

He might not look as good as what people here eating raw paleo might hope to look in their 60's, but he looks better than most of the people I know in their 60's. He certainly has energy.
No offense intended and I'm trying to phrase this politely, but I can't deny that his skin does look worse than avg for his age, with what look like more than avg age spots and poor overall skin appearance. That said, if he isn't recommending his diet to others and isn't making any claims about what it can do re: aging, then I wouldn't knock him for looking aged, though it would still raise questions about what he eats and what other factors may have contributed to his poor appearance.

I also don't think it's a bad thing educating people as to what they should avoid.
I agree and I also don't think it's a bad thing to post images of public figures that may raise potential questions about their diet or lifestyle (and there could be other factors too, of course, such as genetics, pollutants and other external stressors).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:15:34 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
America's  self-proclaimed "leading Health & Nutrition expert" who has written a lot about ANTI-aging should be easily able to withstand criticism like my last post. Admittedly, such criticism is a little bit harsh or unpolite.

But hey, no pardon for "experts"!

They want my money and I want results.

Löwenherz

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I didn't know he promoted a particular diet or reversing aging ideologies. I thought he was more into preventing and treating disease more naturally. Natural medicine instead of AMA. What's his gig?

I think it's best to look at more than one picture. The video RZ posted he looked quite different. Like you said Phil - not much of an issue if he's just trying to help people not get the regular sicknesses and not promoting "youthing". I also think you meet better-looking people in their 60's than I do Phil - maybe Vermonters are generally healthier? ;)

Phil - I wasn't saying not to post the video or talk about it! Someone else said that he was very negative and had little positive to say. I was just adding that I didn't think from what I read that he was all negative or that saying what you think should be avoided is negative. I just read things that I found positivity in personally. Like I said, I know very little about him.

I guess in order to be well-informed I'm going to have to google the dude even though I'm not interested in buying his supplements. Shoulda done that before I guess before adding to the discussion based only on the videos and my limited experience of his writings. Sorry.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Ok - I see now. He's mostly political against many modern medical treatments. I read up on the area that I am most familiar with - his writings on cancer diet and treatment because I thought that would give me the best insight.

He promotes a vegan diet for cancer patients:

"A diet high in animal fat, especially the carcinogens found in cooked red meat, and the fat-soluble hormones found in milk from cows can be toxic to your system. According to Arthur Upton, former Director of The National Cancer Institute, "Both breast cancer and colon cancer have been generally associated with the level of consumption of animal fat."

He's very right about those statistics and I agree with him from my research that cooked grain-fed red meat and pasteurized, homogenized milk from grain-fed cows shot up with hormones and antibiotics are not good foods for cancer sufferers.

It makes me wonder though if he is aware of raw paleo and what he would say about it.

The difficulty for someone that reads the scientific data like he does is that there are no studies using raw, properly raised animal products.

I agree with everything I read so far about what he says about the medical establishment and that seems to be his primary focus - to wake people up to what the reality of that business is. No wonder he's angry!  ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
It makes me wonder though if he is aware of raw paleo and what he would say about it.
  He would be too terrified of the whole food-poisoning/parasites myths.

No studies are likely to be made about raw meat diets since a) scientists are too afraid of lawsuits re absurd food-poisoning claims and b) the big food-corporations have no interest in funding such research since they want as long a shelf-life as possible for their food products and the government are terrified of the whole raw food movement for being too independent.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I think it's best to look at more than one picture. The video RZ posted he looked quite different. Like you said Phil - not much of an issue if he's just trying to help people not get the regular sicknesses and not promoting "youthing". I also think you meet better-looking people in their 60's than I do Phil - maybe Vermonters are generally healthier? ;)
Yes, Vermont is one of the healthiest states in the union. Hippieness pays off in some ways.  O0  ;D

Phil - I wasn't saying not to post the video or talk about it! Someone else said that he was very negative and had little positive to say. I was just adding that I didn't think from what I read that he was all negative or that saying what you think should be avoided is negative. I just read things that I found positivity in personally. Like I said, I know very little about him.
Yeah, his message seemed mostly constructive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk