Author Topic: Is meat hung for 28 days to mature good to eat?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Is meat hung for 28 days to mature good to eat?
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:31:22 am »
My friend who is from outside the raw paleo community and lifestyle asked me the question. I will quote it here because I think you will give him a better reply. I feel it is good idea but I do not have enough knowledge to say exactly why ? Question is:

"I can get good grass fed meat in London. The meat has been hung for 28 days to mature before it is sold. Is this ok or should it be eaten soon after its been killed? I've had contradictory feedback from suppliers."

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Is meat hung for 28 days to mature good to eat?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:02 am »
One more thing: I guess he does not intend to eat it raw, but cooked (probably as rare steak)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:43:44 am »
The best meat is always hung for 3 or 4 weeks to make it tender. Some even go as far as rotting the meat completely before cooking it, like with english-prepared game-fowl.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:02:57 am »
The best meat is always hung for 3 or 4 weeks to make it tender. Some even go as far as rotting the meat completely before cooking it, like with english-prepared game-fowl.

Game birds are that tough, that they have to be rotted before eating?  What's the fermenting/rotting method?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »
Game birds are that tough, that they have to be rotted before eating?  What's the fermenting/rotting method?
No idea. I think(?) that male gamefowl have much tougher flesh so need to be aged before cooking. Aged gamefowl are an old English custom from 2 or 3 centuries ago. I never liked the taste thereof, though, in my pre-RPD days.Oh, a vague random google shows that wild animals have much tougher muscles due to doing more exercise, plus the longer the meat is left to age the better the flavour, not that I agree with the latter notion.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »
No idea. I think(?) that male gamefowl have much tougher flesh so need to be aged before cooking. Aged gamefowl are an old English custom from 2 or 3 centuries ago. I never liked the taste thereof, though, in my pre-RPD days.Oh, a vague random google shows that wild animals have much tougher muscles due to doing more exercise, plus the longer the meat is left to age the better the flavour, not that I agree with the latter notion.

Hmm....British high meat, huh?  You Brits are more paleo than I thought. 

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:58:21 am »
Haha and thats as paleo as they get... don't forget their beer and wheat obsession!

28 day aging just means tender meat. Tell him the supplier would be keeping the carcas clean and cold while it ages, the enzymes break down the muscle stiffness the longer it hangs and 28 days is a nice amount of time to hang. If he dares he could age it even longer for more tender meat.

Either eat it freshly dead before rigor mortis sets in, or let it hang for a month to get rid of all the effects of the rigor mortis. Anything in between just results in bad tough meat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk