Author Topic: Hello from Brazil  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Hello from Brazil
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:48 am »
Hi fellows. Just joined the forum hoping I can share my experiences. I been raw ZC paleo for almost 5 months and enjoying so far. I'm eating literally just raw beef muscle and organ meat and trimmed fat (i buy it separately) and sparingly some pastured eggs. I don't use any spices salt or whatsoever, just plain raw, it tastes great.

Before this I was on a mix of SAD and vegetarian diet. My parents are vegetarians. I would usually have whole rice and beans(Brazilian staple lunch), salad and lets say some potatoes. Snacks were  whole wheat bread with honey and dinner yogurt with granola(mix of oats, sultanas, wheat fiber, flax seeds...). Besides what i had at home, I used to eat all sort of processed junk, usually sweet stuff. To be honest I had no health problems and could handle eating crap all day long(I'm 22 y/o). I was sugar addicted and couldn't stop thinking what my next meal would be. My problem though was bad acne, oily skin, large pores and so on. All I could find on the internet at first denied the link between diet and skin health. Later I found some of Loren Cordain's articles that shed some light for me. Finally came across all paleo blogs and forums and acknowledged valuable information which at last led me to this forum.

I still have some minor acne, but barely noticeable, though my face is still always oily. The best improvement is that now I manage to have only 2 meals a day without sugar cravings, actually no desire for sweets at all. My trimmed fat tastes cheesy and creamy, its so good I'll stick with it forever   ;D

I'm not a native english speaker, so there might be spelling mistakes and others. Anyway sorry for this detailed welcoming note.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Hello from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:59 am »
    I don't think there's too much detail.  Welcome!  :)
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:24 am »
I had no health problems and could handle eating crap all day long(I'm 22 y/o). I was sugar addicted and couldn't stop thinking what my next meal would be. My problem though was bad acne, oily skin, large pores and so on.
Welcome!

Acne IS a health problem. It's not just cosmetic. Dr. Cordain's writings on it explain how it is. I'll bet you also have other health problems that you don't even know you have or know that they could clear up on raw Paleo.

I've met lots of people who tell me, "I don't have any health problems, except for morning stiffness and a few aches and joint pains, and my blood pressure is a little high, etc., etc., but I take Ibuprofen and I'm fine and it's just a normal part of getting older." Those problems are NOT normal in the sense of being a natural, inevitable part of getting older and acne is rare to nonexistent in the wild and among observed human populations that ate Paleo-type diets. These things are only "normal" in the sense of being common in modern societies.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:27:35 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:03 am »
Welcome. I'm raw ZC, too.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
Ola!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »
Wow Brazil.
You must have some exotic animals there you can try?
Llamas?  Anaconda?  Other things?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »
Acne IS a health problem. It's not just cosmetic. Dr. Cordain's writings on it explain how it is. I'll bet you also have other health problems that you don't even know you have or know that they could clear up on raw Paleo.

It could be that every single 22 y/o in Brazil has acne, in which case it would be looked at as normal.  Could be that not one other person there is raw paleo, in which case Arthas_ is going to look like a celebrity (because of his newfound diet).  People likely will not notice the details like acne there though, being it's possible "normalcy".  Still there can be noticed something different and healthy. 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:42 pm »
Welcome!

I've met lots of people who tell me, "I don't have any health problems, except for morning stiffness and a few aches and joint pains, and my blood pressure is a little high, etc., etc., but I take Ibuprofen and I'm fine and it's just a normal part of getting older." Those problems are NOT normal in the sense of being a natural, inevitable part of getting older and acne is rare to nonexistent in the wild and among observed human populations that ate Paleo-type diets. These things are only "normal" in the sense of being common in modern societies.

This is a good point. Before I would consider myself just unfortunate, but after reading a lot into paleo diet, real nutrition and diseases of civilization, i certainly consider acne to be a health problem. I guess many things we consider normal, are actually signs of bad nutrition.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:59 pm »
Wow Brazil.
You must have some exotic animals there you can try?
Llamas?  Anaconda?  Other things?

Well there might be, but I'm not so sure. These exotic meats are not commercially available anyway.  In the supermarkets though there're only beef, chicken, pig and lamb meat. The good thing is that all beef is grass fed. If i ask the butcher some trimmed fat, most of it will be the yellow kind, similar to that on your pics.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:37:28 am by Arthas_ »

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:22 am »
    It could be that every single 22 y/o in Brazil has acne, in which case it would be looked at as normal.  Could be that not one other person there is raw paleo, in which case Arthas_ is going to look like a celebrity (because of his newfound diet).  People likely will not notice the details like acne there though, being it's possible "normalcy".  Still there can be noticed something different and healthy. 

I guess as many people have acne in Brazil as in USA. It's a common thing when people are on SAD. As PaleoPhil said it's just normal in the sense of being common among us. Of course there are those people who have never had a single pimple and others who had plenty. It depends on how your body will deal with all the processed crap. Genetics may have a role here.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 03:02:54 am »
normal in the sense of being common among us. Of course there are those people who have never had a single pimple and others who had plenty. It depends on how your body will deal with all the processed crap. Genetics may have a role

I had acne every time I didn't eat right.  I'm the kind of person that it will show on my skin, my "transgressions".  When I eat right, you can tell by my skin.  Some members of my family never had acne.  Others had it bad like me or still have it.  Call it a blessing.  It's a way to warn you to change your ways to healthier.  You just have to learn to read that and to be strong to go on the path that is healthiest for you, whatever that may turn out to be.  Acne can indicate problems with the nervous system, the thyroid, the liver, the kidneys or the colon.  Better to take heed than let ill health settle in, IMO.         

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 05:05:48 am »
Greetings! Whereabouts in Brazil are you? I have been thinking of moving there for a while. I scouted out a piece of affordable land near the shore in Bahia, North of Salvador. I think the closest town to it is Monte Gordo. Do you know of this area? Or any other place in Brazil with good deals on buying land?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:18 am »

This is a good point. Before I would consider myself just unfortunate, but after reading a lot into paleo diet, real nutrition and diseases of civilization, i certainly consider acne to be a health problem. I guess many things we consider normal, are actually signs of bad nutrition.
Correct. I can make my acne come and go, depending on what I eat.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:48 am »
Greetings! Whereabouts in Brazil are you? I have been thinking of moving there for a while. I scouted out a piece of affordable land near the shore in Bahia, North of Salvador. I think the closest town to it is Monte Gordo. Do you know of this area? Or any other place in Brazil with good deals on buying land?

I live in the south of Brazil in a city named Novo Hamburgo in the state of Rio Grande do Sul (you can search it on google earth). I've never been to the north, so i cant tell you much. I know there are some beautiful beaches along the northern coast. Around there it's always hot, with little raining. You will find many typical foods(very spicy) and a different culture, kind of a legacy from the slaves of the colonial time.

In the south though we have got more of a German and Italian culture. These were the main immigrants that came to live in this area. I would say Rio Grande do Sul is one of the 5 wealthiest states. The climate here is more humid with hot summers and cold winters.

I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind, but I suggest you to look for something in Rio Grande do Sul(I consider myself lucky to live there). Considering you might want to raise animals and such, you can buy a piece of land in the rural cities(it's way cheaper). The urban cities are nice too. Before my family moved to an apartment in Novo Hamburgo, I used to live in Ivoti(really small city). We had half a dozen or more chickens. It brings me good memories. Cities you can look for are: Caxias, Ivoti, Novo Hamburgo, Pelotas, Gramado, Alegrete, Cambará, Nova Petropolis, Bento Gonçalves, Garibalde.. well the list goes on and on.  ;D

Check out this wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Grande_do_Sul
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:52:03 am by Arthas_ »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:55 am »
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk