Author Topic: Whey PROTEIN  (Read 10134 times)

Metallica

Whey PROTEIN
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:07:35 am »
what do you;s think of whey protein?

i started using it into my raw morning smoothies, just for the extra protein and the nice taste it brings to the smoothie.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Whey PROTEIN
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »
It comes from dairy, an inferior food, and is generally processed. Avoid it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:58 am »
Several years ago I tried the protein isolate powders that body builders use.  They were all expensive and I usually felt terrible after ingesting them - often light headed and in some cases nauseous.  Though I had spent several hundred dollars in an effort to find a magic elixir, I ended up throwing them all in the trash.  Try reading the ingredients in some of these wonder supplements.  I figure if I can't pronounce it I probably shouldn't be eating it.

For me, simple meat and fat have proven to be far more effective than the high tech artificially manufactured stuff.

Lex

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:40:09 am »
My workouts and muscle development are coming along far better now, eating lots of raw animal protein and fat, than it was when I used to use all sorts of supplements.

Metallica

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:34:18 am »
the whey protein is process at very low temps and is from grass fed animals

its from mercola.com

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:12 am »
well, that's certainly better than the normal stuff. But that's gotta be expensive comparatively, no?

Anyways, what kind of answers were you expecting on this board?  :P

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:34:40 am »
I've used plenty of supplements in the past. It doesn't make sense to me to take an isolated nutrient when for the same price you can get that in a more natural form plus other nutrients in the form of food.

xylothrill

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:53 pm »
Metallica,

its from mercola.com

But it's fractionated and it won't do you a bit of good without its co-factors. In fact, it'll do you more harm. It's like having a million nails and no lumber. You're body won't be able to build anything out of it but it'll have to  work to get rid of all the nails (protein) and there will be consequences. 

The claim that animal protein intake causes calcium loss from the bones is another popular nutritional myth that has no backing in nutritional science. The studies that supposedly showed protein to cause calcium loss in the urine were NOT done with real, whole foods, but with isolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders (3).

When studies were done with people eating meat with its fat, NO calcium loss was detected in the urine, even over a long period of time (3). Other studies have confirmed that meat eating does not affect calcium balance (4) and that protein promotes stronger bones (5). Furthermore, the saturated fats that many experts believe are so evil are actually required for proper calcium deposition in the bones (6).

Protein powders are the culprit proteins

What is significant in the various studies of protein intake and bone density is that the studies which purported to show protein intake caused calcium loss were not conducted with real foods but with isolated amino acids and fractionated protein powders of the sort used by low-carb dieters and athletes. The reason why these amino acids and fat-free protein powders caused calcium loss while the fat meat diet did not is because protein, calcium, and minerals require the fat-soluble vitamins A and D for their assimilation and utilisation by the body. When protein is consumed without these factors it upsets the normal biochemistry of the body and mineral loss results.[xviii] True vitamin A and full-complex vitamin D are only found in animal fats. Furthermore, saturated fats that are present with meat are essential for proper calcium deposition in the bones.[xix] It should be no surprise, therefore that vegan diets have been shown to place women at the greatest risk for osteoporosis.[xx] [xxi]

Whey protein isn't going to do anything for you or your muscles except cause a mineral deficiency/imbalance.

Craig

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:20:13 pm »

What I find amusing is that when I was a teenager, the local dairy processing plant considered whey a waste product from their cheese making operation.  The main market for it was as an additive to cattle feed and the stuff was really cheap - like 10 cents a pound when purchased in 50 lb bags.  

Now they call it a "protein isolate", package it in 3 lb containers, put a fancy label on it, and sell it for $40 to $50 a pound to body builders.

Lex

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:23:09 pm by lex_rooker »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:10:15 am »
That story is very common Lex. "Vitamin E" as it's sold today is a by-product of chemical processes as well as fluoride. Why pay to dispose of it when you can convince someone to buy it and dispose of it in their bodies?

Metallica

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:28:28 am »
Way back in 420 B.C., Hippocrates, known as the ‘Father of Medicine’, recommended the health-boosting benefits of whey. In Europe during the Middle Ages, whey was touted as a health tonic. Fast forward to the 21st century, and we have scientists discovering an amazing array of healthful benefits from whey.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:36:48 am »
Way back in 420 B.C., Hippocrates, known as the ‘Father of Medicine’, recommended the health-boosting benefits of whey. In Europe during the Middle Ages, whey was touted as a health tonic. Fast forward to the 21st century, and we have scientists discovering an amazing array of healthful benefits from whey.
Snake-oil salesmen always use the past to justify their product. Just because Hippocrates endorsed it, doesn't mean it's any good, merely that it's better than modern junk-food, nothing more.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Metallica

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:22 am »
i been using whey for a few weeks now and i feel a lot better. im going to stick with it.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:51 am »
i been using whey for a few weeks now and i feel a lot better. im going to stick with it.

This tells me that something is terribly wrong with your normal eating protocol.  Either that or the placebo effect is working its magic.  Maybe a little of both?

If I found that a fractionated and manufactured product like whey improved my health, then I would take a very serious look at my base dietary protocol, as it clearly would not be meeting my body's needs.  Whey is nothing more than milk with the fat and a few other selected solids removed during the process of making cheese.  If whey was significantly helping my health, then imagine what whole milk with its complete nutritional profile might do.

I agree with Tyler on this one, and go one futher.  If you're going to include dairy, then include whole milk as it comes from the animal, not the leftover industrial waste from a manufacturing process where 95% of the nutrients have been removed.

Just my opinion,

Lex

Metallica

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:11:10 am »
raw milk from grass fed animals ( both cow and goat ) made me ill.

basically raw dairy makes me look puffy.. but whey still gives me good protein after a workout, its making me look bigger and more solid..

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:27:06 pm by Metallica »

Metallica

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
Craig i overlooked your post. wow this very interesting, thanx for that. maybe i'll rethink taking my whey protein, but i do really love the yummy test  of it..

but thank you this eye opener.

Metallica

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:39 am »
what about if you combine whey with fat , like in a smoothie with raw eggs, coconut oil. etc.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:31 am »
..... but i do really love the yummy taste  of it..

The "yummy taste" has nothing to do with the whey.  It's the added flavors and sweeteners, many of them artificial, that make it taste good.  You may as well drink Ensure, Carnation Instant Breakfast, or any of the other artifical diet and health products that taste yummy, they are all very similar.

Don't get me wrong, we each make our own choices and I really don't care if you use whey products or not.  I'm sure that many disagree with some of the choices that I make.  I just don't want you to fool yourself into believing that whey is a wonderful health food - it is not.  It's not worst thing on the list either.  I want you to be well informed and make your decisions with full knowledge of the facts, not the hype.     

Lex

Offline pookietooth

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Jen Jen Rambler
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 04:19:38 am »
I bought some fancy goat milk protein that was supposedly predigested (fermented), and it tasted like crap. Since I cut out dairy a year ago, it really no longer appeals to me in any form. I think if you want protein you should just add some more meat to your diet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk