Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 3786 times)

Offline velvet jones

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm very new to the paleo lifestyle my second to last step in a long trial and error process that included veganism all the way back to being totally carnivorous. so its been two months straight now and my energy levels have increased dramatically , my boxing is more focused and intense and my old weightlifting injuries no longer bother me. currently i take enzymes to help with digestion and whenever i eat a meat dish i eat it with raw fermented sauerkraut. Since i started paleo Ive wanted to try eating my meats raw, but i am deathly afraid of being a victim of salmonella or ecoli poisoning or worse yet some terrible worm or parasite. any advice?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

It seems you've made much the same journey as most of us, here. We all go through an initial phase where we're deathly afraid of parasites and bacteria, but most of us come to realise, over time, that they're needless worries. That said, as a reassurance, I would suggest that you go in for raw anti-parasitical herbs such as raw garlic,cloves, cayenne pepper, wormwood, goldenseal, thyme etc. etc. Get them raw and unprocessed for best effects, and eat them along with any raw animal foods(don't overdo the raw spices if you have wrecked digestive system).
Info on the benefits of bacteria and even parasites is here:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/the-benefits-of-bacteria/

You might also find these 2 sticky topics useful:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/where-to-buy-cheap-raw-animal-food(please-don't-post-in-this-thread!)/

There've been some studies showing that grassfed meats don't start the E-Coli issues that are associated with grainfed meats:-

http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html

References are here:-

http://www.eatwild.com/references.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:31:12 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline velvet jones

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »
thanks tyler definitely interesting info in those pages.ill try contacting my local weston price chapter to find grass fed meats in my area. this morning i tired eating the most rare steak ive had thus far for breakfast. it was a very thick t-bone so completely raw inside just browned on the outside so far i feel fine......fingers crossed

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »
Greetings. I started with searing steaks like you, and even seared burgers (ground meat) for a while. Fish is good to start with because it's considered normal these days because of all the Japanese places. Searing meats is a great start actually, most of it is raw.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »
One word of warning:- It's very common for people at the start of going rawpalaeo to experience a detox reaction. This happens in particular to those who go all-raw or mostly-raw overnight. In my case, in the first 2-3 days of suddenly going rawpalaeo , I got massive diarrhea where I had to visit the bathroom/toilet practically every half hour, producing green stools. Others might experience constipation or some other side-effect.

The reason for the detox is simply that we all build up so many toxins after years of eating cooked foods so that once the body starts getting decent raw nutrition, it suddenly feels the need to get rid of a huge back-store of toxins.

Detoxes, after that, should be quite moderate, by comparison, and getting less and less common as time goes by. For example, after my raw-dairy-phase, I would get a period of 1-3 days every 2 to 4 months, where I'd get mild flu-like symptoms(warm forehead, fatigue, runny nose, but no more than that), and these detoxes became more and more reduced in terms of severity, duration and frequency, until they stopped completely after c.2 years on the diet.

It should be noted that not all adverse reactions are due to detox(my negative experiences with raw dairy being an example). Basically, a genuine detox should usually be reasonably moderate, symptom-wise, and one should always feel very slightly better after each detox episode. If symptoms persist for a long period, then it's unlikely to be a detox, and may be a food-intolerance to a specific raw food etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:57 pm »
Hello velvet jones.  Seared steaks are a great start.  I too eat some home made fermented foods with meat, though not daily. 

If you are worried about bacteria, you could marinate your raw meat in kraut juice or other acid.  But I would agree with most everyone that the source of the meat is the biggest concern for pathogens - if you buy from a small, local place that sells traditionally-raised foods (ie. only grass for ruminants), it will not be contaminated like large operations that raise, slaughter and process animals in nasty conditions. 

Freezing meat at 0 degrees F for 7 days will kill all parasites, including trichinosis (check the fda website for exact details), but freezing will degrade the meat to some extent.  Some people (like me) buy meat in bulk to get the best source and end up having to freeze it anyway. 

Good for you on the fitness improvements.  I am eating very low carb, mostly raw, and practice taekwondo regularly.  No energy drop from lack of carbs that so many worry about.  My teenage son is now low carb, semi-raw and loving it.  He kicks butt over me in martial arts, and has the same speed and power as ever (although he improves more and more daily, while I kind of float along).  Do you have any fitness goals?  Keep it up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk