Author Topic: 3 days of raw liver - can it cause intestinal issues  (Read 13219 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: 3 days of raw liver - can it cause intestinal issues
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:51 am »
Wow, I envy your ability to handle fruit--tip of the hat to you, Cheri. That would be quite a lot of fruit for me--probably more than I've eaten in years, except for a brief experiment with a fruit-heavy diet (I had never tried a fruit-heavy diet, though I had tried vegetarianism, and figured I should try it before judging it) that quickly went sour (when my teeth started wobbling and my gums became inflamed and bloody and full of  tartar and other gunk--don't worry, I don't make any judgment about diets for humans as a whole based on it, I understand well that it was largely due to my own physiological challenges) and had to be abandoned. I guess it's a bit ironic that I cut fruit-lovers and other carb-eaters more slack.  ;D Thanks for the explanation.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:57 am »
Sure.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 08:14:40 am »
I think ones tolerance for high fruit diets has a lot to do with genetics, specificaly related to inherited insulin and leptin resistance, and how much in ones past have we abused or overeaten any type of sugars or carbs.  I know for myself, I spent way too many years ( raw since 1974)  holding that dream of fruitarianism and spent a lot of time searching the best fruits around the world... never really paying attention to blood sugar levels or anything actually except my ideas and thoughts about how much healthier I'm going to be....  I remember when I went 80/10/10  ( bad idea )   or the Wai diet,,  both felt so good at first, but it's hard to pick up the signals from the body as to whether it's good or bad because over the long run, day to day,  the potential for a downward spiral can be ever so gradual that we just don't notice ( or care to ), and I did things like eating more and more fruit to make up for low blood sugar swings and lost muscle mass (weight loss in general).  Even looking in the mirror can be deceptive, cause it's so gradual and from one day to the next  it's hard to notice.   There's little doubt in my mind that the sugar high from fruits is, if not addictive,  a high that comes just 'too easily'.   

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:01 am »
In my case, the production of pyrroles and deficiencies in zinc and B6 is a very plausible cause of my issues with carbs. Luckily, I never had a fruity diet dream.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:00 am »
I think carb tolerance may also be influenced by how well the enzymatic pathways are functioning. The more I look into it the more I see certain nutrients (magnesium, zinc, manganese, and selenium possibly more) are required for different enzymes (fat, protein AND carb metabolism) to function properly. I've seen magnesium and zinc being needed for 300+ enzymatic processes EACH, and manganese in some as well.

Article on zinc: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/zinc/

"Over 300 different enzymes depend on zinc for their ability to catalyze vital chemical reactions. Zinc-dependent enzymes can be found in all known classes of enzymes (4)."

Article on magnesium: http://www.naturalnews.com/023511_magnesium_body_deficiency.html

""Enzymes are protein molecules that stimulate every chemical reaction in the body. Magnesium is
required to make hundreds of these enzymes work." - Dr. Carolyn Dean"

Article on manganese: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/manganese/

"Manganese (Mn) plays an important role in a number of physiologic processes as a constituent of multiple enzymes and an activator of other enzymes (2)."

Article on selenium: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/selenium/

"Humans and animals require selenium for the function of a number of selenium-dependent enzymes, also known as selenoproteins."

Since adding in those vitamins (to my likely very deficient diet) I've noticed I digest my animal foods much better. I used to have problems (gagging) eating meals to close together because I'd still feel full from my last meal. I assume from it digesting slowly since my digestion was hindered due to lack of enzyme function. Now I can eat meals much closer together without gagging or feeling full.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:50:49 am by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »
I was going to add this in response to Phil's last post, but equally suited here... and that is;    what came first the mineral etc. deficiency or the 'overconsumption' or of fruit or carbs.  For most of us here, if in our pasts, if we weren't including an abundance of healthy fats, we either had two choices to make up for those calories, protein or carbs. ( But even overconsumption of protein has it's fallout).   My guess for most it was carbs.  The upset hormonal system as a result from continually spiking insulin and leptin abuse can cause all sorts of imbalances. 

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 05:52:01 am »
I was going to add this in response to Phil's last post, but equally suited here... and that is;    what came first the mineral etc. deficiency or the 'overconsumption' or of fruit or carbs?... 

Exactly.  That's an excellent question.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 05:58:35 am »
I was going to add this in response to Phil's last post, but equally suited here... and that is;    what came first the mineral etc. deficiency or the 'overconsumption' or of fruit or carbs.

That is a good question. And most likely there was a minor deficiency to begin with, or even perhaps none at all. Then the excessive fruit/carb consumption made the deficiency worse or even caused it when there was none to begin with.

However it could be other things, and I'm not saying the only reason for poor carb tolerance is a lack of minerals (which results in poor enzyme function). Generally illness or any state of health that is less than optimal has multiple causes.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:44 am »
Thanks for the links, DaBoss.

Multiple causes sounds about right, with different causes impacting different people in varying degrees, and the carb/macronutrient ratio debates will probably go on forever.

The original thread poster, mommyrunmommy, hasn't mentioned eating meat-only, so I'll try to avoid additional comment on ZC and carbs unless she inquires about it, to avoid derailing the thread.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:13:03 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk