Author Topic: excluding raw veg  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Gloominary

• Forager
    • View Profile
excluding raw veg
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:02 am »
Is there much point in eating raw veg, or would you be better off just eating raw eggs, fish, meat and fruit?
Seems like veg, particularly raw veg is more of a supplementary food, or starvation food, like if you have nothing better to eat, than an essential food on a raw omnivore diet, like it's just a lot of chewing, farting, for little flavor, nutrients.
What's the right fruit, veg, nut/seed, egg, meat ratio to eat in your opinions?

Offline Gloominary

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: excluding raw veg
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:11:57 am »
Some veg is a lot easier and tastier to eat than others.
I didn't like cooked broccoli very much to begin with, and raw broccoli is just as bad or worse.
On the other hand, raw sweet potato is alright, and I'm really enjoying this raw parsnip I'm having right now, althou it's a little spicy oddly enough, raw parsnip.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »
Well, my view, though some people disagree, is that vegetables usually contain antinutrients in them to discourage animals from eating them, unlike with fruits. So, those vegetables that taste OK or fine likely have fewer antinutrients in them, while vegetables that taste foul or bland, such as broccoli or kale, have higher antinutrients in them and should be avoided.

Palaeo peoples had a vast variety of diet and likely did not avoid the veg, especially when faced with famine etc. That said, I think fermented vegetables are probably a very good idea. I eat raw sauerkraut often, even though the, er,  stools tend to be quite large soon after,  as a result.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Gloominary

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:04 pm »
I tend to agree, I can trust my instincts more now that I'm eating more natural and raw.
My senses are telling me broccoli is bland, useless, and my reason is telling me it's more chewing, swallowing, gas and possibly constipation than it's worth.
Sweet potatoes don't seem that great either, I'm either going to eliminate them from my diet, or eat very little of them, or cook them, while continuing to eat everything else raw.
But I did enjoy the parsnips raw, they taste better raw than cooked surprisingly, I'm not sure how hard they are to digest as I had them around the time I ate the broccoli which's difficult to digest, I'd like to have them on their own.
Right I'm sure every tribe had vegetables, some more than others, because some are tasty, nutritious, with few toxins, and are good to snack on, and hard times would have occasionally compelled us to eat vegetables that weren't so tasty, or nutritious, and had some toxins.
I'm probably going to either increase my fruit and animal intake, and decrease my veg, or I'm going to cook some of my veg, while continuing to eat everything else raw.
I'm not committed to eating raw, it's just something I'm experimenting with, trying to be pragmatic with it, if and when it works, I'll do it, but if something is terrible raw, I'm either going to cook it, reduce intake or eliminate it from my diet.
So far I'm enjoying parsnips and fish raw more than I'm enjoying them cooked, eggs are kind of iffy, and broccoli and sweet potato is definitely better cooked.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:54 am »
It all depends. If you are at the moment seriously ill, then combining raw and cooked foods together is a really bad idea. One of the benefits for a cooked-foodist when they fast is that during fasting they are not ingesting any toxins derived from cooked foods, thus allowing detox symptoms to occur and rebuilding of cells etc., where the body has enough time and resources to expel such toxins. Always eating cooked foods while also eating raw, will at the very least slow down health-recovery, therefore.

On the other hand, if your raw-experiments are just a matter of idle experimentation, then I suppose it does not matter.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:38:40 am »
Most of the raw vegetables I eat are in the form of dried and powdered herbs. I drink around 5 raw organ meat smoothies a day and put a tablespoon or two of various herbs and spices, amino acids and minerals in them. I eat a lot of fruit. Most of the actual vegetables I consume are in reality fruits like tomatoes cucumbers and zuchini. These days I been eating a ton of watermelon. Don't know what I'm going to do when it's not on sale anymore. Don't really have any ratios. I just eat what I crave as long as it's good for me.

Offline Gloominary

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:08 am »
Well, my view, though some people disagree, is that vegetables usually contain antinutrients in them to discourage animals from eating them, unlike with fruits. So, those vegetables that taste OK or fine likely have fewer antinutrients in them, while vegetables that taste foul or bland, such as broccoli or kale, have higher antinutrients in them and should be avoided.

Palaeo peoples had a vast variety of diet and likely did not avoid the veg, especially when faced with famine etc. That said, I think fermented vegetables are probably a very good idea. I eat raw sauerkraut often, even though the, er,  stools tend to be quite large soon after,  as a result.
Agreed, I think our prehistoric ancestors likely ate at least a little bit of everything available to them, all or mostly raw and unprocessed, thou what was available to them depended on which tribe, and where they were situated.
If you're going to go raw, it probably makes sense not to exclude any food group you can eat raw and unprocessed, with the possible exception of dairy, which wouldn't've been available to our paleolithic ancestors, but at the same time, some food groups are more digestible, palatable, nutritious and less anti-nutritious than others.
It'd probably be best to eat more eggs, fish, fruit and meat, and less veg on a raw diet, and exclusively or mostly veg that's very agreeable to our digestive system.

Offline Gloominary

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:49 am »
Most of the raw vegetables I eat are in the form of dried and powdered herbs. I drink around 5 raw organ meat smoothies a day and put a tablespoon or two of various herbs and spices, amino acids and minerals in them. I eat a lot of fruit. Most of the actual vegetables I consume are in reality fruits like tomatoes cucumbers and zuchini. These days I been eating a ton of watermelon. Don't know what I'm going to do when it's not on sale anymore. Don't really have any ratios. I just eat what I crave as long as it's good for me.
That makes sense, except for personally I wouldn't eat a lot of herbs and spices from my research and experience, while it may make the raw meat more palatable, I don't think it's good for digestion and can be mildly toxic.
I prefer plain or minimally, naturally seasoned food occasionally, not much into supplements either.
Eating fruits or culinary vegetables such as cucumber, tomato and zucchini makes more sense than eating say raw broccoli or asparagus as the former are easier on the system.
What cuts of meat do you recommend?
I tried raw lamb shoulder tonight, I should've guessed that it would be tough, given that it is the shoulder.
How's raw rib steak?
Is all raw red meat hard on the digestion?

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
Raw rib steak is excellent. I usually buy the cheaper cuts. I always felt that raw meat was easier to digest than cooked meat. Always had good luck adding herbs and spices to my raw meat. I usually soak it in lemon juice, sometimes vinegar. I just started doing it but I really like adding body building supplements to my raw meat along with the herbs, spices and salt. Usually in the form of raw organ meat smoothies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk