Author Topic: Hi! Newcomer here  (Read 10361 times)

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Hi! Newcomer here
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:03:59 pm »
hello people!

I would like to start a paleo diet soon, and would like to read some info on consuming raw meat.  Can i literally go to whole Foods , buy a pound of ground beef chuck ( that i usually cook with my spaghetti) get a side salad with tomatoes and other Veggies ( no condiments of course), sit down and consume the both meals raw?   the salad is out of question of course but can i really unwrap the meat and take a big bite out of it without getting sick?  The raw meat thing is my only worry but i'm sure with some education on the matter I wouldn't be questioning it.

is this done with all meat?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Hi! Newcomer here
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:27:15 am »
hello people!

I would like to start a paleo diet soon, and would like to read some info on consuming raw meat.  Can i literally go to whole Foods , buy a pound of ground beef chuck ( that i usually cook with my spaghetti) get a side salad with tomatoes and other Veggies ( no condiments of course), sit down and consume the both meals raw?   the salad is out of question of course but can i really unwrap the meat and take a big bite out of it without getting sick?  The raw meat thing is my only worry but i'm sure with some education on the matter I wouldn't be questioning it.

is this done with all meat?

Read the following child board topics, especially the bottom 2:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/

. This will give you some necessary background info before starting a raw meat-oriented diet.

It's not a good idea to just buy any raw meat, it has to be grassfed to be really useful and preferably as organic as possible("free-range" or "naturally-reared"only if standards are as high as organic)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:46:05 am »
I've eaten raw meat from Whole Foods before that wasn't organic or grass fed and have been fine. I also ate turkey and chicken from there that just said "naturally raised" but nothing more. I believe that meant no antibiotics or hormones, but not necessarily a good diet.

It's a no brainer that grass fed is superior, or in the case of other animals pastured, like pigs and poultry. But in my experience I don't believe eating most sub-optimally raised meats raw would make you sick. Also, if you're scared just freeze it for a couple of weeks. Some members here have posted information that freezing for that length of time kills most stuff like parasites and bacteria. At that point it would be just as "safe" as cooking it, with only whatever toxic by products are on it from other processes remaining.

Offline chasmyn

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:40:51 am »
I"m also wondering - I've seen a couple of psts here from folks eating out at restaurants - sashimi or steak rare - are there no worries about those meats, given that most restaurants do NOt use organic or grassfed? Thoughts?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:48:57 pm »
I"m also wondering - I've seen a couple of psts here from folks eating out at restaurants - sashimi or steak rare - are there no worries about those meats, given that most restaurants do NOt use organic or grassfed? Thoughts?

My view is that most restaurants and bars either heat or use processing/chemicals for their sushi. They are not a good option. Your best bet re sushi is to go to a high-grade(and unfortunately, usually expensive) Japanese Sashimi restaurant, preferably one visited by plenty of Japanese people - same goes for steak tartare, only go in for ethnic restaurants(French/Russian etc.) I've never had problems with those Japanese restaurants, all they do is just freeze the fish and then they prepare it fully in front of you. Oh, and while farmed salmon is less common as a staple in such high-end restaurants, you should avoid it like the plague.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:52:39 pm »
It's a no brainer that grass fed is superior, or in the case of other animals pastured, like pigs and poultry. But in my experience I don't believe eating most sub-optimally raised meats raw would make you sick. Also, if you're scared just freeze it for a couple of weeks. Some members here have posted information that freezing for that length of time kills most stuff like parasites and bacteria. At that point it would be just as "safe" as cooking it, with only whatever toxic by products are on it from other processes remaining.

I feel I should add a caveat to the above. I have heard of some people having a seriously negative reaction to raw  grainfed meats(basically people who have a nasty reaction to any grains). A few people have even reported a negative reaction to prefrozen meats. That said, I have heard occasional reports of people recovering from some symptoms just from eating raw, grainfed meats(no doubt simply because they're not ingesting any heat-created toxins from cooked meats).
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »
It's only in the past decade that I started buying organic at all. I've eaten raw meats since long before that and never had a problem.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:10:34 pm »
Thanks for all the input.

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:44 pm »
just finished my a pound of raw beef chuck!!!!!
I was really hungry too..

it was relly good...

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:58:13 pm »
YUM!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:32:53 am »
just finished my a pound of raw beef chuck!!!!!
I was really hungry too..

it was relly good...

Was it grassfed? It takes most people some time to adapt to the taste of grassfed meat. As for suet, I found grassfed suet to taste better than grainfed suet right off the bat.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »
Hi!

Unfortunately Whole Foods grass-fed meat is a bit more expensive so its grain-fed.

On a side note, after already discussing paleo with mom she flips out when i mentioned my last meals and says that "it's a stupid thing to do!".  Shes received emails about this from me already. that said, while mom was yelling I tried talking with her and she'd  cut me off with mentions of bacteria and sickness. Further in, I wanted to bring up a few points on cooking and she cuts me off with " Oh Please we been cookin' fah-eva!"  If i recall, she said something to the extent of "I 'ont know why you eat'n raw meat. like you some D**N animal"   it's almost like she doesn't want to learn about it. She seems to be intimidated by the idea and shes ready to "kick me out". never mind that, how do you get someone to open up to this if they will not accept information?   its like she had her fingers in her ears yelling out " lahh laah laah" the way she was telling me how she "don't wanna hear it" whenever i tried to speak.  It's annoying!

time to eat  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:19:29 pm by Donnyten »

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis Back it up. There's also some links about the dangers of cooked foods. Also the old "more people die in car accident than eating raw meat" lol.

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »
Hye!

i spoke with her about the H.H and sent her the wiki link and links to studies which support it.  If she read/ looked into it then she would assume otherwise.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 01:31:04 pm »
oh okay. I still have yet to let anyone know I eat raw meat. I'm trying to do it in stages (pretending my raw fish is left over sushi, telling people I'm eating rare steak) I figured it wouldn't be so shocking to my family & friends that way.

Offline Donnyten

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 01:56:37 pm »
word...

That brisket was tuff!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk