Author Topic: Carnivorous Mammals Track Fruit Abundance  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Carnivorous Mammals Track Fruit Abundance
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »
ScienceDaily (June 16, 2010)
The scientific community already knew that many carnivores eat fruit, but had thought this was something purely anecdotal. Now researchers from the University of Santiago de Compostela (USC) have shown that carnivorous animals such as foxes and martens play an important role in helping fruiting plants to reproduce and disperse their seeds.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

alphagruis

Re: Carnivorous Mammals Track Fruit Abundance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:05:17 am »
ScienceDaily (June 16, 2010)
The scientific community already knew that many carnivores eat fruit, but had thought this was something purely anecdotal. Now researchers from the University of Santiago de Compostela (USC) have shown that carnivorous animals such as foxes and martens play an important role in helping fruiting plants to reproduce and disperse their seeds.

For foxes, martens and other small carnivores this was known long since. Just remember the tales by Jean de la Fontaine.
Moreover this is routinely teached here in France to hunting license applicants.

One may wonder whether fruits also play a substantial role in the diet of lions or other tropical areas carnivores.   

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:37 am »
For foxes, martens and other small carnivores this was known long since. Just remember the tales by Jean de la Fontaine.
Moreover this is routinely teached here in France to hunting license applicants.

One may wonder whether fruits also play a substantial role in the diet of lions or other tropical areas carnivores.  

How do we not know whether fruit is a part of the diet of lions? African lions are one of the most researched animals, are they not?

Also, you finally made a grammar mistake. Please do not tell me you did it on purpose, you will ruin my day.

Also, lately I've been trying to feed my dog fruit. He ignores my offering. He does really like ground beef and huge chunks of beef fat and of course bones. But will go after the refined sugars.

alphagruis

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:45:45 am »
How do we not know whether fruit is a part of the diet of lions? African lions are one of the most researched animals, are they not?

Also, you finally made a grammar mistake. Please do not tell me you did it on purpose, you will ruin my day.

Also, lately I've been trying to feed my dog fruit. He ignores my offering. He does really like ground beef and huge chunks of beef fat and of course bones. But will go after the refined sugars.

The mistake was unintentional of course.

I've not tried to find out but I guess that fruit plays no or a quite negligible role in the diet of African lions.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:56 pm »
I have been unable to find any evidence of Lions in particular consuming fruits, however I did find that Tigers have been known to eat a specific fruit for dietary fiber, as well that Wolves will eat various berries and a few other fruits like apples.

Perhaps it is the lack of available fruit on the African Savannah, or at least I would assume there is a lack of fruit, that prevents the more commonly observed Lions from eating any fruit.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:33:19 am »
Sounds like this is good for the fruit. For the carnivores...?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk