Author Topic: The Raw Paleo Blues  (Read 5233 times)

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
The Raw Paleo Blues
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:49:54 am »
With the creation of the Food Safety Act and the continued GM contamination of the environment, it kind of seems to me that real Raw Paleo diet will not be able to sustain itself for much longer for many people. Obviously, one can't eat RP when grass-fed farms are shut down, and even if you can eat grass-fed meat, eventual GM contamination will pollute the water or land of domesticated and wild animals.

My depression doesn't really stem from there not being real meat avaiable eventually, but mainly from the fact that I discovered the Raw Paleo diet. If I had never went on this diet and stuck to my previous one of mostly cooked organic food, I would never have really even known what feeling good is. After I ate my first piece of raw meat I was actually like, "Oh, this is what being alive is supposed to feel like." I wasn't ecstatic or anything, it was just a simple realization that for most of my previous life I always felt some degree of shittiness, and now I finally felt "OK," normal.   

But now that I've reached that point, the future seems downhill, and I kind of wish I never found RP, because I'm afraid of being plunged back into sickness, anxiety and depression, when GM food contaminates all. 

What does everyone else think about this? Anyone have the RP Blues as I've described it?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Raw Paleo Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:04:58 am »
Corporate greed and humanity's continued belief that it can master and control nature does piss me off. However, I don't think it is all bad news. People are becoming more aware of these issues every day. First of all I doubt grass fed farms will be shut down. The worst that could happen is that business becomes more difficult. Also, respectable ranchers can make sure that the herd is not contaminated with GM DNA. The thing I am more concerned about is GMO seafood since fish escaping into the wild and polluting the gene pool is a scary possibility. They say all the fish are sterile but I'm still not comfortable with the idea even if the operations are inland. It just takes one mistake... Just one.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:45:28 am »
Raw Paleo diet will not be able to sustain itself for much longer for many people.

don't you worry about that.  there is way plenty of clean animals for both raw and cooked meat eaters.
regular Joes are pretty happy with supermarket meat.  don't let this one keep you awake at night.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:47:19 am »
don't you worry about that.  there is way plenty of clean animals for both raw and cooked meat eaters.
regular Joes are pretty happy with supermarket meat.  don't let this one keep you awake at night.

Exactly. Most people are repulsed by what we do. Supply will likely never be an issue.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:56:08 am »
We should aim to knock down any attempts by government to curtail our freedoms. We've had some setbacks(there was that law the UK pushed through after the BSE crisis, which forced all cattle to be slaughtered before they reached 30 months old; this affected the grassfed meat industry as grassfed animals take several years to build up enough fat). We have had successes, though: such as  that attempt to ban raw oysters in Florida etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:24:51 am »
With the creation of the Food Safety Act and the continued GM contamination of the environment, it kind of seems to me that real Raw Paleo diet will not be able to sustain itself for much longer for many people. Obviously, one can't eat RP when grass-fed farms are shut down, and even if you can eat grass-fed meat, eventual GM contamination will pollute the water or land of domesticated and wild animals.

My depression doesn't really stem from there not being real meat avaiable eventually, but mainly from the fact that I discovered the Raw Paleo diet. If I had never went on this diet and stuck to my previous one of mostly cooked organic food, I would never have really even known what feeling good is. After I ate my first piece of raw meat I was actually like, "Oh, this is what being alive is supposed to feel like." I wasn't ecstatic or anything, it was just a simple realization that for most of my previous life I always felt some degree of shittiness, and now I finally felt "OK," normal.   

But now that I've reached that point, the future seems downhill, and I kind of wish I never found RP, because I'm afraid of being plunged back into sickness, anxiety and depression, when GM food contaminates all. 

What does everyone else think about this? Anyone have the RP Blues as I've described it?

Let's keep fighting by informing more and doing lobby action.
Can I quote you on my blog?
Maybe that will help somewhat inspire a few more lobby people and congressmen.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:10:18 am »

I have similar thoughts often. Although more, because I am not happy with the environment I have now even, but I am working on that for myself.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:02 am »
Let's keep fighting by informing more and doing lobby action.
Can I quote you on my blog?
Maybe that will help somewhat inspire a few more lobby people and congressmen.

sure. we need to break out of the bullshit age of online petitions.

don't you worry about that.  there is way plenty of clean animals for both raw and cooked meat eaters.
regular Joes are pretty happy with supermarket meat.  don't let this one keep you awake at night.

yeah, but i'm not sure its that simple. We can't view us RPers as being off in this little protected box isolated from everyone else's eating habits. Grassfed meat needs to be become the norm, not just for a small group.
Corporate greed and humanity's continued belief that it can master and control nature does piss me off. However, I don't think it is all bad news. People are becoming more aware of these issues every day. First of all I doubt grass fed farms will be shut down. The worst that could happen is that business becomes more difficult. Also, respectable ranchers can make sure that the herd is not contaminated with GM DNA. The thing I am more concerned about is GMO seafood since fish escaping into the wild and polluting the gene pool is a scary possibility. They say all the fish are sterile but I'm still not comfortable with the idea even if the operations are inland. It just takes one mistake... Just one.

yeah but how far can you really go to preventing GM DNA from spreading on an open range? These GM crops have been in open air for 15 years now, there's no way to prevent eventual contamination, just like whats happening with organic farms losing their certification. The cow's DNA can change just from grazing on contaminated grass or something.

I like the bluntness of this quote from a seed catalog that was lying around my house:
"In the future we may expect transgenic traits to escape from GE plants and pass by natural means into traditional and heirloom plants. Eventually, the entire food supply may become modified, and none of us will have any choice in the matter."
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:05:08 am by quietmule »

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:02:36 am »
No matter what happens, we are at an advantage.
Remember that most of the diseases we see today are new as of the past 50 years
The people who have them will not be around for much longer. Most of these people are in the positions of power that threaten us.
I doubt they will last many more generations.
Eventually there will only be healthy people left and government regulation will be powerless.
That comforts me in a weird way, of course if I lose my current food source, I will go live in the forest. So worry is little.

miles and TD, I am more worried about you guys, as that option is not available for you in the UK.

Good Sam seems to be in an awesome position. I don't think Manila has much reason to worry quality food seems to be valued by more people.

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:55 am »
No matter what happens, we are at an advantage.
Remember that most of the diseases we see today are new as of the past 50 years
The people who have them will not be around for much longer. Most of these people are in the positions of power that threaten us.
I doubt they will last many more generations.
Eventually there will only be healthy people left and government regulation will be powerless.
That comforts me in a weird way, of course if I lose my current food source, I will go live in the forest. So worry is little.

miles and TD, I am more worried about you guys, as that option is not available for you in the UK.

Good Sam seems to be in an awesome position. I don't think Manila has much reason to worry quality food seems to be valued by more people.

yeah but again we can't think of this like its us RPers against the world, and that our lifestyle will continue no matter what.

First of all, GM is likely already contaminating the woods, from animals/ insects eating GM from our garbage, waste, farms and gm plant pollen and seeds landing there. Obama is also planning with his "Evergreen Revolution" to actually create huge open areas of GM trees for paper cultivation and other uses. What will happen to the animals in the forest when they eat this stuff? Some GM trees don't even stand upright, they just hang limp. Making nature impotent. How symbolic.

Secondly, what about the new diseases that come from interspecies DNA exchange? Who knows if anyone, even RPs, can defend themselves against some super-disease that results?

Thirdly, I don't think that saying that the old people that control our society are going to die out from being unhealthy is accurate. I am certain that the very wealthy, the people whose faces we'll never see, know a little bit more about health than we give them credit for. Just because we see celebrities and movie stars dying of cancer doesn't mean the people with real power don't know what they're doing.

Just reading this from an article on Slankers makes me a little suspicious:

"I talked to a professional businessman at Monsanto.  He explained how disturbing it was to be the target of an angry public that believed Monsanto (its upper level management team of which he’s a member) is disreputable to the core."

It's a movie review of "Food Inc," and he asks him about the public's response to the company:

"The mob literally assaulted the company by various means with mountains of hate mail.
I asked the Monsanto man what he learned from this experience.  He said it showed him there is a great need in our country for mothers and fathers, and teachers too, to teach children to be critical thinkers. "

Where the hell is this BS coming from? Since when does Monsanto encourage these kind of values? Slankers man is either falling into a trap, or this mysterious Monsanto executive buys bulk grassfed meat from him to eat raw with his little minions.

So I don't think these problems will be solved if we just sit around. Saying that "we'll be fine b/c we're RP" ignores the responsibility we have as informed people to inform other people or try to change societies processes in some way.

Slanker's Food Inc. review is predicated on the idea that all the problems of the agribusiness and food industry stem from the consumer's poor diet choices. Let's not fall into a similar trap.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:39:35 am by quietmule »

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:53:39 am »
An organism's genetic makeup does not change from eating GM foods. It could have unforeseen consequences, but genetic makeup is fixed. Horizontal gene transfer is a more common occurrence between bacteria, fungi, and plants. Animals are not going to gain any new genes from these organisms. Super diseases are a result of antibiotic abuse, and yes gene exchange occurs commonly among microorganisms. These new genes simply make the organism more resistant to the antibiotics that have been made. It doesn't make them any more deadly than if one refused any treatment. Keep your immune system powerful and hope for the best on this one  :D.

If the GM trees limp, that means that natural selection will weed them out and they will never have a foothold in the wild. The problem arises when GM organisms have an incredible ability to complete with the natural population.

Monsanto is definitely an evil corporation, but more people are becoming aware of their madness every day. Even if I don't agree with Whole Foods 100%, we NEED these type of companies to raise awareness since they are big enough to have influence and oppose GMOs.

Don't fall into feelings of futility. It can make you crazy. It certainly made me for a while. :)

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:19:39 am »
In no way did I mean that we should do nothing.
What I meant to say is that we should not be shaking in our boots.
We are better off than 99% of the population.  l)
Of course the ones with real power are probably healthy,
but the ones who give them power are fading away.
We should be operating from a position of at least some comfort.
I refuse to buy into the idea that we will be living in hell on earth.

Educate yourself, and those around you, and stay as healthy as you can my friends.
...and bother people, without losing composure, call up the local bureaucrats and just ask questions
The other day I helped an FDA inspector become interested in raw milk. Perfect coincidence taken advantage of.
Things are looking up.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk