Author Topic: Supermarket fish?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Supermarket fish?
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:56 am »
OK guys,

What is the protocol for supermarket fish?  My Kroger has pretty good looking wild-caught frozen stuff.  I think I saw Ecuador on some mahi-mahi.  I want to eat some stuff other than salmon. 

-JOE

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:56:39 am »
What is the protocol for supermarket fish?  My Kroger has pretty good looking wild-caught frozen stuff.  I think I saw Ecuador on some mahi-mahi.  I want to eat some stuff other than salmon. 

Realizing that restaurant sashimi is always frozen-then-thawed in my area, and I eat that sashimi when I go out to eat (rarely), I'll be a hypocrite and say that I won't eat frozen-and-thawed fish at home due to the disagreeable texture. As you are aware, there are members here on both sides of the freezing fence, so I suggest you read the pros and cons and decide for yourself. Science, availability, and personal preference can factor in with different conclusions for each person.

I find unfrozen fish in abundance in high-end markets and ethnic markets. If you want unfrozen fish and  have a variety of markets in your area, you can look around and see what else is available.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:26 pm »
 I find that freezing and then thawing  raw  wildcaught seafood makes it taste much less good afterwards  than when freezing and thawing  raw grassfed meat. Worst case was some prefrozen scallops I bought once, which seemed almost chemically-changed compared to the unfrozen variety.

I hope your salmon is wild, not farmed?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:45 pm »
If the seafood was very fresh and then frozen, it seems that the flavor isn't really ruined. But that might just be me. The best salmon I had was literally JUST cut from the fish moments before I arrived, and it was incredible. I bought more than I would be able to use (just because it was so delicious and fatty) and was forced to freeze some so nothing would be wasted. It wasn't as "fresh" tasting, but still very, very good. And it tasted better and more "fresh" than the non-frozen piece that had ended up sitting in the fridge for a few days. The fat seems to spoil pretty fast when it comes to seafood, so freezing feels like a better option if it can't be eaten within a day or so.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:37:45 pm »
Whatever I get would be wild-caught yea.  I'm still up in the air about this stuff too.  I agree that eating fresh would be best.  Raw meat that has been frozen is still a "dead" food per se yes?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »
As regards raw meat most people would be fine with eating prefrozen meats but would always keep looking out for nonfrozen alternatives.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37:44 pm »
Raw meat that has been frozen is still a "dead" food per se yes?

No, not dead. Perhaps diminished would be a better word. For example, freezing a cell that contains moisture would cause the water to expand, changing the cell structure in a way that would not show up as a change in taste. There are other microscopic changes, too, which have been discussed in the other threads about freezing.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 03:37:28 am »
Let's just say freezing hardly damages the food in comparison to heating. Also, I would prefer to eat pre-frozen versions of good foods, than have to abstain from them completely. If I had to eat everything completely fresh, I would literally be stuck eating wild-caught fish and plants. No shellfish, no organs, no wild game meats, no beef. I will definitely take what I can get. Frozen doesn't bother me enough, yet.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:20:23 am »
No, i agree that freezing is far less harmful to living stuff than heating high heat.  It seems the rule of the game is go for it if wild-caught and looks fresh.  I have a nice fish market somewhere way downtown.  But i don't have the time, money, or energy to drive an hour a few times a week to purchase nice stuff like oysters, clams, etc.  I want to try to get more into that in the near future.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:31 am »
For me i prefer frozen beef heart over fresh, i havent had the chance to compare to oher organs but i tried ground fresh and frozen and fresh is a huge difference.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:19:02 am »
It seems the rule of the game is go for it if wild-caught and looks fresh.

That's my rule. If you trust the fish monger or shopkeeper, you can ask what's fresh from this morning. The little market that I go to will let me in on whatever was the most recently cut (like that salmon I mentioned). But in general, if it looks vibrant and fatty, and is wild-caught, and I start to salivate while looking at it, it's fair game. :)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:19:42 am »
That's my rule. If you trust the fish monger or shopkeeper, you can ask what's fresh from this morning. The little market that I go to will let me in on whatever was the most recently cut (like that salmon I mentioned). But in general, if it looks vibrant (and fatty hopefully) and is wild-caught - and especially if I start to salivate while looking at it - it's fair game. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk