Author Topic: Better Tasting Coconut Milk?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline vairox

• Forager
    • View Profile
Better Tasting Coconut Milk?
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:42:56 am »
I just tried some Golden Star Coconut Milk in a can, it's like Crisco so I watered it way down with probably 3-4 cans of water and it tastes like watered down Crisco (gross). Are the store versions like Coconut Dream basically the same thing or do they have a different consistency/taste? this Coconut Milk in a can has 5 stars on amazon, everyone raves like it's the greatest thing on earth but they also say that about Coconut Dream, the drinkable milk alternative in the store so I don't know what to think.  Thanks.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Better Tasting Coconut Milk?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:49:09 am »
I think it's safe to generalize that any canned food is not raw... the process of canning food depends on pretty high heat. Perhaps you would consider making your own coconut milk from fresh coconuts or unheated-dried coconut flakes. Amazon reviews can be helpful, but the reviewers are probably not writing from a raw-only perspective. Perhaps that off-taste disappears in the cooked recipes they are using, or maybe they just don't have a fresh coconut milk experience to compare the taste to.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk