Author Topic: More on IBD  (Read 8479 times)

Offline Jayce

• Forager
    • View Profile
More on IBD
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:20 am »
Hey, my name's Jayce.  I'm new here, but I've been into raw paleo for over 6 months now.  Started with primal (AV)
, now I'm mostly meat and fat though.  I've had Chrohn's disease for about 10 years... I'm 36.  It comes and goes, but everytime I have a relapse it gets worse and worse.  Right now I'm taking medications that I'd rather not, but if I don't take them I will have uncontrollable vomitting, diarrhea, and blood loss that I will be hospitalized too frequently... so I've surrendered to the pharmaceuticals.  I've read so much on nutrition and Crohn's, and now here I see people have improved with raw paleo who have ahd similar symptoms.  The weird thing is that breads and cheese never seemed to make me worse.  I gave up gluten and dairy about ten years ago, but if I eat bread I definitely don't suffer for it, I just let it go because of all I've read about it and bowel diseases.  I got tested for about 50 food allergies and don't have any at all.  Strangely, I think I actually feel better when I eat breads too.  I'm having a relapse now... eating raw beef and fat... feels good on other levels, but my colon is not good with it. I was doing okay with the meds, I went strict raw meat and fat, and the next day blood just poored through me.  I'm tempted to eat some bread jsust because I think it will alleviate the symptoms, but I odn't really think it is a healthy thing to do. Makes me think eating bread slows some elimination process down while eating meat and fat maybe does the opposite?  Could food sensitivities not be my problem and there's some other culprit to deal with?

I don't really like making this public, but I'm at my wits ends trying to beat this disease. Anyone have a similar experience or anything to offer that I may get through this without surgery... anything!

Thanks all
Jayce

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: More on IBD
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:23:08 am »
Have you ever tried raw greens or raw fruits?  That may be a dumb question, but it's tough to know because you didn't say what your daily diet is.

Offline Jayce

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:12 pm »
Yeah, man, thanks, but I've tried it all.  Juicing too. Raw fruits and veg are the worst on my system or most painful anyway. So I tried juicing after that. Wasn't so good either.

William

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:17 pm »
Intermittent fasting is supposed to be the answer for your problem, along with the right raw food which you are already on to.
The best help I found for that is here: http://healself.org/
and if it does not heal, you don't have to pay him.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 05:12:29 am »
Hi Jayce,

Welcome!  You have a cool name.

I found my way here for IBS issues too. Diet does seem to be helping me though, but maybe that's cuz celiac runs in my family though I've never been tested.  It's not been an overnight fix though. I am  almost two months raw red meat and fat only and I feel like I'm just barely over some extremely thin line between health and illness.  Fruits and veg are definitely the worst for me too!  I can keep you updated, hopefully I'll have progress to report.  I'm also going to get the amalgam removed from my mouth in about a month.  I used to work with autistic children, so it's something I swore I'd do before I'd ever have children of my own, but now I wonder if there is any other implication for the IBS.

Raw Rob and Wodgina and maybe others have cured their IB issues, maybe they'll have more to say about how long it took.

Good luck!

Ioanna

Offline Jayce

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:52:53 am »
Intermittent fasting is supposed to be the answer for your problem, along with the right raw food which you are already on to.
The best help I found for that is here: http://healself.org/
and if it does not heal, you don't have to pay him.

I do appreciate the response, but fasting, what a joke!  Tried that too, and nearly killed myself.  And yes, it was supervised. Maybe INTERMITTENT fasting is different than my 12 day wasted to just about nothing experience, but I don't think fasting is the answer in my case.  In fact, I'd say that the internal pains significantly worsened as the days progressed.  I remember that I could not sleep those 12 days due to abdominal pain and that while I wanted food the first few days I only wanted a dose of any pain relief after that. (This experience was done at the very onset of symptoms, trying to avoid a relapse, so no medications or anything.) I think it may be a good 'jump start' to fat burning that can  help people provided they then assume a proper diet on to weight loss and the elimination of the many secondary diseases associated with that. But even then, I'd guesstimate 2 days tops.

Ioanna- thanks and sounds like you're in the right place and headed in the right direction. If you're willing, I would like to hear your journey. Do you have a journal?

I know I'm new here and I really don't mean to be shooting down the responses that really I am so appreciative of. I've been lurking long enough to have overcome my hesitancy to post in the realization that everyone here has something intelligent to say.  Honestly, I'd say there's a part of me hoping someone may have some experience or knowledge that I haven't considered yet.  Maybe Ioanna is on to something with the amalgam.  I hadn't considered that at all, only food toxins. Just want to be honest with where I've been so I can finally get on the right path.  Maybe I am finally getting there and just need to be patient or maybe I need to start interacting with people more so I can learn to find out where I need to go next.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:44:04 pm »
Here's a list of possibles:

1.  High-vitamin cod liver oil, or just fish oil (or a liquid vitamin A supplement)

2.  A softgel/liquid vitamin D supplement, like the Now brand Vitamin D softgels (those definitely are potent, in my experience--some brands aren't)

3.  Raw liver.  Get good-quality, unfrozen raw liver, if you try that.  It may not taste great, but it may help.

4.  raw coconut oil.  Yes, I know many here don't approve, but it works for me.

5.  Red palm oil.  Same thing, many don't approve, but, if this is a vitamin A deficiency-related problem, it might help.

I don't see how intermittent fasting could hurt, either. 

I don't know, I'm just throwing things out there, at this point.  You might try the search function on the weston price foundation website.  It might yield some help.

OH, just thought of a great resource.  Dr. Tom Cowan, at www.fourfoldhealing.com.  He is totally raw-friendly, and is actually on the Weston Price foundation board, I believe.  He's a great guy. 

William

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:53 pm »
I do appreciate the response, but fasting, what a joke!  Tried that too, and nearly killed myself.  And yes, it was supervised. Maybe INTERMITTENT fasting is different than my 12 day wasted to just about nothing experience, but I don't think fasting is the answer in my case. 

Jayce, you make the common mistake of confusing fasting with starving. 12 days is starving. If you read
http://healself.org/Fasting.html you can see for yourself that he warns against it.
IF is simply not-eating/healing until you are seriously hungry, and AFAIK all of us doing zero carb do it all the time.

Equally important is what you use to break your fast; that is the great advantage of healself.org.
It works.

cherimoya_kid, the whole point of raw zero carb is complete nutrition, it follows that we need no supplements, since all the nutrients required for perfect health are already in the food.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »
Hi Jayce,

Welcome!  You have a cool name.

I found my way here for IBS issues too. Diet does seem to be helping me though, but maybe that's cuz celiac runs in my family though I've never been tested.  It's not been an overnight fix though. I am  almost two months raw red meat and fat only and I feel like I'm just barely over some extremely thin line between health and illness.  Fruits and veg are definitely the worst for me too!  I can keep you updated, hopefully I'll have progress to report.  I'm also going to get the amalgam removed from my mouth in about a month.  I used to work with autistic children, so it's something I swore I'd do before I'd ever have children of my own, but now I wonder if there is any other implication for the IBS.

Raw Rob and Wodgina and maybe others have cured their IB issues, maybe they'll have more to say about how long it took.

Good luck!

Ioanna

Hey Ioanna/Jayce

2 months and you feel like your getting somewhere? that's not too bad. I found the first 6 months hard but my skin was amazing within just a month so I was convinced. There wasn't as much info back then ( besides Geoff which was great) it's quite amazing how much progress that has been made over the last 3 years. We've got Lex and all of us plus the folks on ZIOH making some interesting debate.

IBD is different to IBS I think. I actually solved most of my IBS on VLC with low fat and high protein (plus threelac) but lost 10kg of muscle (70kg to 60kg). I was quite pathetic by the end and started to think about raw vegan food then heard about raw meat and eggs.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:35:08 pm »

cherimoya_kid, the whole point of raw zero carb is complete nutrition, it follows that we need no supplements, since all the nutrients required for perfect health are already in the food.

I'll continue taking my vitamin D supplement, thank you very much, because it works.  If someone takes it, and it doesn't work, they don't need it.  The only reason I suggested it is because, even on an excellent diet, I still need some extra Vitamin D.  Some don't.  He's looking for answers, I'm trying to offer answers. You can preach about "no supplements ever" if you want, though. 

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 06:58:08 am »
Hi Jayce,

I got hit with Ulcerative Colitis in February of 2008. From what I've read, it's really the same thing, but just different parts of the colon are affected. Since you say you've had it for ten years, you probably have a lot more healing to do.

I do best with strictly raw red meat/fat/organs. I came here through AV as well, and I just gradually got rid of all the carb foods he recommends. I realized that it was the carbs that were making me relapse. I'm really surprised that you can have bread. That would really hurt me.

I've never gone on any fasts, except for when I had to for my colonoscopies.

I was taking some carlson's cod liver oil, but I don't know if it did anything for me. I think if you're getting good grass-fed meat/fat, you don't really need that stuff. I eat a lot of liver too. I love it. You just have to acquire the taste.

I was taking some L-Glutamine for a while, but again, I don't thing you need that stuff when you're using raw red meat to treat yourself anyway. (It's an amino acid that some say repairs the digestive tract, but it's abundant in meat, so I figured it was kind of pointless with my current diet.)

I still take probiotics from time to time. They seem to bind up my stools if they're getting lose.

What kind of drugs are you taking, if you don't mind me asking? I was on Prednisone for a few months. It was really difficult to wean off of them because the adrenal withdrawal was so bad. Once I got to all meat/fat/organ I was able to get to a really low dose and then just go through the withdrawal for three days.

Again, I think you've been sick a lot longer so it might take you longer to get where I'm at.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Welcome, and good luck!

Rob   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:41:43 am by Raw Rob »

Offline vandu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:21:48 am »
Hi Rob and all,

i also have symptoms of ulcerative colitis and just started the raw meats from yesterday (Sunday), after reading an interview on AV, after which i immediately purchased his e-books and drank some raw kefir that had been in my fridge for a few months.  i had been too afraid to drink it since getting the symptoms of colitis (blood and mucous in stools..weakness, fatigue).  Let me tell you it felt SO good to have the kefir, which i mixed with some raw honey, virgin coconut oil and some banana.  FINALLY something of substance! i would have added raw egg if i had some. For the past several weeks I was on a "colitis" diet which included mostly cooked (steamed) veggies, with virgin coconut oil or ghee, avocado (for some kind of substance) and very small amount of whole grain (either sprouted brown rice or manna/essene bread, -i stopped white sourdough bread but i dont' know if i needed to even).  i felt like i was wasting away. and always hungry. always.  then last week i read about vitamin D and started adding egg yolk, sardines and mackarel (eagerly, as i missed meat!)  I'm brown-skinned so apparently my sunbathing for 20 min or so is not enough..and it's too hot to stay out longer.  well guess what? although it felt so good to have some meat for a change..i became incredibly weak.  i also took cod liver oil.  on saturday (just two days back) i was so weak i could barely walk.  i was out (should'nt have been) and had to lay down in the back of my car for a couple hours and then felt a little better. but i was at a loss as to what more i could do.  i sleep early and get good rest.. i drink sun-charged water daily, sunbathe, no medication, caffeine/alcohol, supplements included l-glutamine, bromelain, ashwagandha, turmeric, and newly added vitamin D and cod liver oil (i hate supplemetns) and..... i was making freshly cooked veggies for every meal. hmmm.  oh and i'd have squash baby food.  that hadn't helped, and adding some mackarel or sardines hadn't helped either but made the situation worse!  and.. i was eating sequentially, as per dr. bass's recommendations (natural hygenist).  the next day, yesterday, i saw Aajanus's interview (in Dr. Bass's booklet).  after having the kefir and feeling so good, i immediately went for lunch to the nearest sushi place (didn't care if the fish was not wild-caught..i needed to try this out). i could actually feel my body healing just from the kefir i had earlier.  sounds strange but i think it was more phycological because i knew this was it..and i was doing what i needed to.  at the sushi place i had sashimi (tuna/crab and mackarel) plus miso soup. no rice or seaweed.  i loved it..didn't feel any distention/bloating afterwards (for the first time in a long time).  then for dinner i found a french place that makes steak tartar.  my husband and I couldn't make it..so went to japanese place and I had sashimi again.  and i went to the health food store in between and bought some local grass-fed meats (ground buffalo, turkey, and wild-caught mackarel).  The two biggest things I noticed yesterday is that 1) i didn't feel bloated,tired,pain or tummy sticking out after my meals, and 2) My energy.  it was actually quite "normal", which is dramatically better than it had been the day before (and for that whole week of having cooked/canned mackarel/sardines).  But also, my bowel movement, though not much, had hardly any blood in it. and no mucous!  this is after weeks of having these symptoms!  i prepared the raw mackarel yesterday for making ceviche..which i had today for lunch (it "cooked" in the lime juice for 18 hrs), along with more kefir.  For breakfast i had fresh pressed celery/squash juice, and an hour later green smoothie (velvety lettuce, cucumber flesh, little avocado, mixed with olive-oil/Raw ACV dressing, and touch of cayenne).   So nice and smooth going down my throat.  i think esp good for colitis because no "roughage"

So..i'm sharing this with you and anyone who has colitis..who may get some ideas from the things I ate (haven't even read AV's books yet.. about to though right now).  I got some ideas for what I can prepare in next few days by looking up recipes in Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon (Weston Price teachings).  The only supplement i took yesterday and today was a little liquid probiotic.  Today i had a small BM (hardly any blood), and after eating the ceviche..had some rumbling and then a big and easy BM..was sure there would be blood (thought parasites from ceviche were attacking), but no blood, and feeling of relief and lightness in my belly.  amazing.  i mean i can't believe all this started just yesterday!.  i can also get up (yesterday and today) without feeling like i'm going to faint and fall..another symptom i was experiencing, especially since i added the cooked meat the week before.

Rob, you mentioned that you only have red meat.  What about fish, turkey, lamb, and other meats? Do they not help you as much?   Did you have a similar experience to me in going raw?  I just can't believe i'm noticing results so quickly..  Maybe it's because after reading AV's interview yesterday..the light bulb went on and i knew this is what i had to do. and i wanted so much to do it. (i've already read about raw meats on mercola.com..just wasn't ready for it before).  having the tuna/crab sashimi and mackerel sashimi was the first time i was eating food in such a long time that was sooo delectable.  Also..i finally feel satiated..  I only feel hungry at the proper meal times.  i found a fig cake at the health food store (made of fig, almonds, and raw honey).  i have a little bit with some coconut oil for a once a day snack and i'm good (well again, this is just since yesterday).  figs are sweet, but a small amount is probably a great alternative to other desert..figs are loaded with nutrients.  the only other thing i know is banana and apple sauce for me.  which is what i was having before to satisfy my intense cravings..plust a raw food cookie of sesame seeds, shredded coconut, and dates..but i'd bleed afterwards.  Maybe i'll be able to tolerate.  it seems many things/rules change when you start eating raw meat.

I will post again in a week to let everyone know my progress. I feel my body is healing.

Jayce, I hope that something I said here may give you an idea.. not sure what your diet is..so i put mine out so you know.  Each person is so different.  i also was diagnosed with colitis 10 years back (the disease starts much earlier than when it's diagnosed and symptoms show up)..took medication for 6 yrs straight (Asacol), and then found weston price website and a local farm and started feeling better and weaned myself off medication and stayed off for 3 years.  it just came back a couple months ago.  i guess i wasn't eating as well..and there was some stress in my life..who knows. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:28:19 am »
Dairy, even raw, can be an issue with colitis sufferers. Try doing without it for a few weeks to see if you improve further. Most people seem to benefit by cutting out all raw dairy from their raw diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:10 am »
Vandu,

I am basically gainst all plant foods now. Our diet can be very simple. I just eat fat, meat, and organs. I do eat fish but only once in awhile because it's expensive. The other day I got some wild coho salmon and bay scallops at Whole Foods because they were on sale. I love mackerel at sushi restaurants because it's the cheapest and healthiest thing on the menu. I do like lamb (lamb is considered red meat by the way.) but it's more expensive than the beef I get so I stick to beef. My organs are from lambs actually. From what I've read, red meat is nutritionally superior to fowl, but if I run into a trusted source where I know the birds were not fed some weird feed, than I would definitely tear into some chicken or turkey. Same thing with eggs. I was getting some good eggs from a truly free-range place when I was on AV's diet, but since I stopped ordering dairy from there, so went the eggs. All the eggs at Whole Foods are from soy-fed chickens. It pisses me off because I would love to snack on some eggs but I have to go out of my way for them. 

I cannot have carbs in any form if I do, my UC will come back. I even tried to have as little as a 1/4 cup of blueberries after a workout and it would still cause me problems. I came to raw through AV, but I highly disagree with his raw honey theory. His diet got me on the right track but the honey was making me relapse.

As for dairy, I never had a problem with cream and butter when I was following AV. I just cut it out to eliminate all possible suspects. I actually plan on experimenting with cream and butter in the future so I can accurately assess it's effects on me after being a straight carnivore for a while. I would definitely only try it from a 100% grass-fed place and raw of course. I would never drink milk again due to the lactose. 

I do take a probiotic capsule that I think helps me a lot. I usually take Sustenex. I've also taken Jarrow's, and Dr. Ohirra's probiotics but I feel like Sustenex has helped the most. I think taking it in capsule form helps it to make it to your lower intestines. Although, it's hard to tell how those things are actually occurring inside of you.   

Plant foods caused me nothing but problems, and after reading Lex's journal, I realized that I was making things way too complicated. I would try giving up the plant foods if you can. 

I have never tried kefir. Do you let it ferment long enough to let the bacteria consume all the lactose?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk