Author Topic: Bone marrow caused food poisoning  (Read 7414 times)

Offline longhairlover

• Forager
    • View Profile
Bone marrow caused food poisoning
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »
Okay, this is one of the questions that has been bothering me for a long time now.

Several years ago I read about the Weston Price diet.  I tried cooking beef bone marrow, because I had read about it in several places on the WP websites and books.  I've also read about it online in many places.  People are all talking about how wonderful and delicious it is.

Before I cooked the bones, I ate a teeny tiny little piece of the marrow.  It instantly made me start to feel sick and strange, but I ate such a tiny little piece that it didn't actually cause me to throw up.  Then, I cooked the bones with the marrow in them, and ate a couple very tiny pieces of the cooked marrow.  Once again, it made me feel like I was going to throw up.  I didn't eat any more, because I am phobic about vomiting, so I am extremely cautious. 

Even though I had only eaten just a few miniscule little pieces of bone marrow, I was actually sick for more than 24 hours because of this.  I had this horrible feeling of wrongness, felt like my blood pressure was very elevated (though I didn't have a blood pressure monitor and couldn't check it to see what it was), and had this unbearable restless discomfort that caused me to go out to the parking lot and run around the lot in circles for a long time just to keep moving.  I almost passed out after eating it.

Meanwhile, other people on the internet, and people I've talked to, have all told me how wonderful and delicious bone marrow is.

I've read that if you eat red marrow it's bad, but yellow marrow is good.  The stuff in the bones that I had looked like red marrow.  It was a pinkish color and it was not at all yellow.  I have seen a couple photographs showing marrow that looked a lot yellower than what I had. 

It bothers me to not understand why this made me so extremely sick even from eating just a couple teensy tiny fragments of it.  I would have vomited if I had eaten any more.

Not only that, but the vapors from the container of cooked bones filled up my refrigerator and they wouldn't come out, and I know this is unbelievable, but the vapors started contaminating other food that I had in the fridge so that it would make me sick if I ate it.  I had to actually use a different refrigerator, and I tried again and again to clean out the one where I had put the container of cooked marrow bones.  Even just a tiny bit of the smell would trigger the sensation of being about to vomit. 

Has anyone here ever had this experience with bone marrow?  Has anyone ever compared red marrow to yellow marrow and noticed that (perhaps) red marrow causes vomiting, but yellow marrow does not?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Bone marrow caused food poisoning
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:43:11 pm »
I honestly have never once heard about this before. I've eaten huge amounts of raw marrow in the past, both the red and the yellow kind and never once had an issue. The red kind simply has a little blood in it, stem-cells or whatever. Perfectly harmless. The red tastes better than the yellow - the latter is often tougher, and sometimes drier like sawdust.

The only problem is if the marrow-bones were kept in an unaerated(not frozen) environment for a  long time. Such an environment is claimed to allow the possibility of botulinism. Generally us RVAFers , as a result, only either store vacuum-packed meats in the freezer or  eventually open the meats to the air after a few days in the fridge.

My view, other than the above, is that some people can become so ill that they can become ultra-sensitive to the slightest thing. Some very ill people can, for example, become hypersensitive/allergic to electricity, others can become hypersensitive to even slight traces of chemicals left in a food etc.. Ground meat sometimes has such traces as the bloody butchers regularly wash their grinding machines with cleaning fluids. At the very start of this diet, I would often immediately notice such "chemical enhancement" and would have to vomit the tainted food out. Once I regained my health, I no longer was so allergic  to such things, though my sense of taste is way better than it was and I can often still detect such traces of chemicals.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »
Try getting grass fed.
Aajonus vonderplanitz says the grain fed creatures may store toxins, who knows, maybe in the marrow?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »
Try getting grass fed.
Aajonus vonderplanitz says the grain fed creatures may store toxins, who knows, maybe in the marrow?

Yeah I've read that it stores in fat. So it would store in the muscle area fat, brain, eyes, marrow, etc. The same applies for humans.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline longhairlover

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:42 am »
It's possible that it was some kind of toxin, not sure.  I am chemical sensitive, and I do react to small amounts of chemicals.  I will probably try it again in the future, with bones from a different source.  I'd like to try wild game, like deer.  I was just eating soup bones from the grocery store.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk