Author Topic: RAF Diet meetups  (Read 23965 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
RAF Diet meetups
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »
I've been thinking of ways to get RAFers to meet up. Obviously, this works, for the moment, only in the States, and probably best in California. What would probably work is if someone offered up their house and set a specific date a year off, and we had people writing in and saying that they're coming. What do others think? It's just that I see all these websites offering raw vegan meetups all over the world, and think we should do the same.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Diet meetups
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »
I'd be down with hosting but I don't have a house quite yet. I'm actually planning on making an offer on a house next week so that may change soon. I'll be sure to let you know when that all happens and would love to have get togethers.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »
I have a really wonderful villa in Northern Italy, very near the French border,  which would be available during certain months of summer for RAF gatherings(with me not necessarily present). London homes are usually too small for sizeable meetings.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:48 pm »
Italy sounds like a good spot to me especially mid summer. Good quality food, good weather and good kitesurfing!.

I live in the most isolated city in the world so I'm used to having to travel miles to get anywhere .
The East and West coasts of the states sound good too.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:56:31 pm »
Italy sounds like a good spot to me especially mid summer. Good quality food, good weather and good kitesurfing!.

I'm beginning to sense a common thread here ;)

Northern Italy sounds awesome, but might pose a problem for some Americans (like me) who have to make due with a tanking currency. I would imagine exchange rates would be crappy. That being said, Europeans would probably have more purchasing power here as their national monies seem to be stronger. I read some articles a while back saying that New Yorker businesses no longer exchange their euros and pounds for dollars because the favorable exchange rates (to Europeans) has led to a boom in tourism, and they just trade their foreign currencies back to the tourists.

So ... maybe New York (state) as a focal point? This might make the trips longer for Australians, but most everyone else could get there easily. Just a consideration ...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 04:58:10 am »
The UK newspapers were saying the opposite,recently,  that the UK pound, and to a lesser extent the euro, was tanking heavily against the US dollar, so that trips to the US would no longer be an option. We really need a single world-currency, these days.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 08:03:17 am »
The UK newspapers were saying the opposite,recently,  that the UK pound, and to a lesser extent the euro, was tanking heavily against the US dollar, so that trips to the US would no longer be an option. We really need a single world-currency, these days.

I wholeheartedly disagree, because that's what the central banks who are messing up currencies want. What we need is real money backed by goods or metals, not central bank issued paper that is basically the same as a counterfeiting operation.

Offline Python

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:18:08 am »
if we all grew our own food, built our own homes, and manufactured our own machines from metals we extracted and prepared ourselves, why would we need money? Money doesntmake sense to me. Honestly, it strikes me as a survival mechanism invented by people who couldn't take care of themselves. Maybe because they were too busy managing the peons...
Growth hormones are groovy.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:36 pm »
Money doesntmake sense to me. 
I don't like the system either. >:

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:08:26 am »
if we all grew our own food, built our own homes, and manufactured our own machines from metals we extracted and prepared ourselves, why would we need money? Money doesntmake sense to me. Honestly, it strikes me as a survival mechanism invented by people who couldn't take care of themselves. Maybe because they were too busy managing the peons...

Do you know anyone who can do those things?

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:58:23 am »
if we all grew our own food, built our own homes, and manufactured our own machines from metals we extracted and prepared ourselves, why would we need money?

Not one person in the history of mankind has been able to do all these things by him/herself. If we all went back to doing self-sustaining things, the level of technology we would enjoy would be absolutely dismal. I'm gonna fudge some numbers here but its purely for illustrative purposes. The division of labor has basically allowed ten people who specialize their industry to provide for a thousand more. By comparison, in unspecialized economies, if the produce of ten people working separately were added up, it probably wouldn't even be enough to support half of them. Ricardo, Smith, Turgot, the Spanish Scholastics have been dealing with these things for centuries and its basic economic theory.

Money doesntmake sense to me.

Money was a natural out-growth of ever-widening trade. When you trade with people you do not intimately know, there is no way of telling how much of his product you get for his, because neither of you were there to witness each other's contributions to your respective communities. Money serves the purpose (among others) as being a store-house or value.

Honestly, it strikes me as a survival mechanism invented by people who couldn't take care of themselves.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Money was not invented by anyone in particular, and especially not by government decree. In point of fact, considering that all economic transactions are mutually-beneficial, if you were to add up all voluntary purchases and sales throughout all of history, you would find that everybody was properly remunerated. I exclude "sales" to governments because they are coerced (taxes) but you could readily argue that taxes (even horrible ones) are the fair price for living in a particular society.

Maybe because they were too busy managing the peons...

This sounds like a reference to either bureaucrats or greedy corporate types or both. As far as bureaucrats go, let me assure you, the vast majority of government agents have absolutely no capacity to innovate. They are the epitome of inefficiency and stagnation. Such a useful device as money--which has allowed civilization to flourish to the point it is at--would've never been developed by one of them. And as far as greedy corporate types go, remember they only get to keep their jobs and get rich if they do their job well. That is, if they satisfy consumer demand better than their competitors.

Not to pick on you Python, but many people are under the assumption that doing everything for yourself is "better" than the current system. What they lack is an understanding of comparative advantage and opportunity costs, which sadly, most college professors barely cover. Think of it this way: without money we would probably still be stuck in some crappy neolithic farming village eating nothing but tubers for our entire lives. No sanitation, no internet, no hope, and a guaranteed death at 30 from something silly like arthritis.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 12:42:41 am »

I live in the most isolated city in the world so I'm used to having to travel miles to get anywhere .

Hey, where abouts in Australia are you?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 04:16:57 pm »
Perth

How about yourself?

Albert Camus

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:18:04 pm »
Perth

How about yourself?

ahh all the way over on the other side of the country lol

I'm in Sydney.

Satya

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:14 am »
I'd like to try and have local raw pot lucks in TX, perhaps in late spring through early autumn.  I would imagine that one of the larger cities would be good for this - Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, etc.  I don't think hosting at a house is necessary.  The beach, a state park or some natural setting would be really nice.

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 01:44:51 pm »
I'd be down with hosting but I don't have a house quite yet. I'm actually planning on making an offer on a house next week so that may change soon. I'll be sure to let you know when that all happens and would love to have get togethers.

I hope you're free tomorrow.

http://www.wewant2live.com/site/811618/page/937343

Maybe someone should put this in primal section?  I suppose it's bring your own fat (marrow, suet, butter).

Offline dizzybee6

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 05:57:08 am »
I know this is an old topic but it was something i was thinking of while i was reading. has anyone figured out where most of the active RAFer's on here are from?  Aajonus has a few peple in the minneapolis area too. maybe a no coast thing could be an option too if something really came together and people wanted to plan an event. We have a lot of quality meat here from the small farmer and price is not so bad fom what i've noticed across the USA at least but it would be such a cool thing if this ever materialized into a plan   

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 08:14:46 pm »
I'm finding the longer I eat like this, the less I care about meeting people who eat the same.

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:53 am »
I don't really care about meeting people that eat the diet, but I like a lot of the people on the forum so that's reason enough to want to meet and hang out.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 05:23:55 pm »
I know this is an old topic but it was something i was thinking of while i was reading. has anyone figured out where most of the active RAFer's on here are from?  Aajonus has a few peple in the minneapolis area too. maybe a no coast thing could be an option too if something really came together and people wanted to plan an event. We have a lot of quality meat here from the small farmer and price is not so bad fom what i've noticed across the USA at least but it would be such a cool thing if this ever materialized into a plan  

The largest concentration of RAFers are in California(Los Angeles area) as Aajonus lives in Malibu, next door. I suppose any such meetup would have to include primal dieters as well as they form the majority of RAFers - that is, unless we get a guru promoting a raw  version of the palaeolithic diet.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:51 pm »
The largest concentration of RAFers are in California(Los Angeles area) as Aajonus lives in Malibu, next door. I suppose any such meetup would have to include primal dieters as well as they form the majority of RAFers - that is, unless we get a guru promoting a raw  version of the palaeolithic diet.

Aren't you and the other long timers the Gurus?  :D  ;D  :o
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:49 am »
Aren't you and the other long timers the Gurus?  :D  ;D  :o

No, for a guru, you need someone highly charismatic who does "diet-consults" all the time with 100s of people, plus has written a book on the subject etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 09:31:08 am »
The definition of guru is different for different people. A lot of people consider all gurus charlatans, and most probably are. Some consider an expert willing to teach others what they are expert in a guru.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 07:12:54 pm »
The definition of guru is different for different people. A lot of people consider all gurus charlatans, and most probably are. Some consider an expert willing to teach others what they are expert in a guru.

Even though the allexperts.com site does mention experts in general, the actual term we and they use among ourselves is "volunteer" not "expert". Plus, my advice is free, I'd think that any standard definition of a guru is someone who is asking someone else for money in relation to diet.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »
I don't like the system either. >:
:-*sully, you're just a magician...even the way you think so ooo cute!!
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk