Author Topic: Hamburger Jerky  (Read 4739 times)

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Hamburger Jerky
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:52:51 am »
I'm not going to post my recipe till it's done but as a primer here is someone's youtube video on making hamburger jerky.

If you're a health conscious raw paleo you won't want to follow this guy's recipe at all but I think there's some valuable tricks in there that definitely make it worth watching!

World's Easiest Beef Jerky! No Jerky Gun? No Smoker? No Dehydrator? No Problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIOkRWgjUgs

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Hamburger Jerky
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
I don't know what's in that guys spices and cure but I've read that normally salt and citric acid is used as the cure. I'm using celtic sea salt and raw vinegar as my cure but I think I might try substituting the vinegar for lemon juice next time!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:31:11 pm »
Don't tell anybody ( It's a secret.) but ground beef jerky is really raw pemmican. The only difference is you don't render the fat so it wont keep as long because the fat will go rancid but that's ok because pemmican is made with cooked fat while ground beef jerky is a totally raw food!

It's a good thing I started right out making 3 pounds because I'm already down to 2 pounds and it's nowhere near dried. To be honest I don't know if it's going to dry at all because of the high 27% fat content of the hamburger I used. I like fat but to be honest it's even a little rich for me. I will keep making it that way till I use up all the fatty hamburger in my freezer but next time the leaner stuff goes on sale I intend to buy a ton of it.

I set my dehydrator for 110 degrees F. before I went to bed and when I checked it with the infrared thermometer this morning it was a steady 102 degrees from the top to the bottom tray so I turned it down and intend on finishing the drying at the lowest 104 degree setting.

My recipe was pretty simple. I defrosted the beef and mixed in salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, cilantro, lots of cumin and a few glugs of vinegar and mixed it with my hands and pressed it out to make really small thin patties.

Some of the beef was still frozen. Rather than wait I sliced it in my food processor. It came out paper thin and I just sprinkled salt and pepper on the slices after I laid them out on my dehydrator trays.

The part I mixed everything in with my hands like the video I posted tastes a lot better. The paper thin slices are drying a bit faster but actually they have re moistened a bit because I moved them to the top and are picking up moisture from the lower ones. There's only a few left so they'll most likely be eaten long before they get a chance to dry.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
I just checked again with my infrared thermometer and at the 104 degree setting, the actual meat temperature is down to 89 degrees.  I think it fluctuates a bit when the thermostat clicks on and off and at times may be a bit higher.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Spicy Slim Jim Flavored Hamburger Jerky.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:55:41 am »
Spicy Slim Jim Flavored Hamburger Jerky.

I liked the fatty 27% hamburger much better after trying it than making it with lean ground beef. It was a little fatty eating it before it was dried all the way but once it did (around 45 hours) it was really good! It wasn't nearly as good making it with lean ground beef and using lemon juice instead of vinegar.

Here is my best guess for my original recipe. (I don't measure anything I just eyeball it.)

3 pounds of 27% fat hamburger
3 to 4 tablespoons Celtic sea salt
1 and a half tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons dried cilantro
2 to 3 tablespoons cumin powder
1 and a half to 2 ounces raw cider vinegar

Mix all ingredients thoroughly by kneading with hands, form into 2 inch round by 1/8th inch thick patties with the palm of your hand and place them on dehydrator racks. Dry them at low temperature. Mine tasted the best between 30 and 45 hours and began to loose flavor after 48 hours. The flavor was spicy, very close to that of a Slim Jim.

If you have one of those small round dehydrators cutting the recipe in half should just about fill it up.

If you want to get fancy buy one of those jerky guns and form it into long strips or round Slim Jims. You can even buy the casings and stuff them if you want to go all out but that's way too much bother for me!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:36:15 am by surfsteve »

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 03:43:02 am »
Today I started some Liver jerky and ground beef heart jerky. My heart was in chunks so I defrosted them a little and ground them up with the food processor. It was also rather lean so I added quite a bit of coconut oil to it. I think next time I will ask the butcher to grind me some whole hearts with all the fat on them instead of trimming them. I just hate paying the same price for all that fat. (Even though I know it's the best part. Shh. It's a secret!)

I made the heart jerky using my beef jerky recipe posted above. I think I used a little more spices than I posted and may have even my first time but then again I like my food spicy.

For the liver jerky I took frozen quarter inch liver slices and cut them into inch wide strips as soon as they were thawed enough to cut. Then I took all the spices in the whole recipe in the post above except I used about a half cup of vinegar and marinated the liver sstrips for about an hour before throwing them on the jerky rack.

I only used a pound and a half of meat in each recipe and it filled my dehydrator about right with plenty of space between everything. The drippings from the marinade and coconut oil are really going to mess up my dehydrator but I guess that's a sacrifice I have to make.

I hope it all turns out good. I'll let you know when it's done.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 03:53:37 am »
My poor dehydrator hasn't had a chance to rest since it came in the mail. I'm considering ordering another one so that I can be drying some fruits and vegetables at the same time and keep them separate. I almost wish I had ordered two cheap round ones instead of the big rectangular one but it was only a little more money so I guess I'd be satisfied with two larger ones. I just don't know where to put it. I was thinking it could go on top my stove since I don't use it anymore but then my girlfriend is always asking me to cook for her and her mom. So I really do still use it. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk